PDA

View Full Version : TeaTimer alert about Winlogon...how to get rid?

cromwell1230
2008-05-26, 19:54
Hi! I am getting this alert (http://i26.tinypic.com/vg4g44.jpg) whenever I log-on to the Limited account of our pc which is mainly used by my wife/Meme. When I click "Allow change" it will go away BUT when I log-on next to the Admin account(mainly used by me/Dadi) the same TeaTimer alert will pop-up(with interchange Old & New Data) so I decided to tick "Remember this decision" then click "Allow change". So now everytime I log-on to my Admin account the minimized alert in my system tray saying "User allowed the change" is the one appearing. What I want now is to get rid of these message/alert(without permanently turning-off the TeaTimer) in both the Admin & Limited User account. I used to troubleshoot this same annoying TeaTimer alert by temporarily disabling TeaTimer in the past then turning it on again thereby getting rid of problematic alert permanently but somehow I couldn't fix these now. Please help!

md usa spybot fan
2008-05-26, 20:36
cromwell1230:

This is not normally a problem with TeaTimer 1.5, but try to refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files:
Before you shut down or reboot the system the next time, right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
TeaTimer closes.
TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.

cromwell1230
2008-05-27, 12:09
Hi again! I did shutdown TeaTimer and activated it again but the TeaTimer alert continues to appear & re-appear either in the Admin and/or Limited account. So in my exasperation I decided to just uninstall Spybot since I know I can easily re-install it again hoping that the annoying TeaTimer alert about "Winlogon DefaultUserName" would disappear. In my haste I forgot the advise in this forum on how to properly uninstall Spybot...I did not shutdown TeaTimer first and I did not undo the immunization prior to uninstallation. I was hoping everything would go well but then when the uninstallation was completed(I was asked to re-start my pc) I noticed that the TeaTimer icon is still in my system tray. When I look up on my C:\Program Files there is still the Spybot folder which when clicked contains Plugins, advcheck.dll, and TeaTimer. Do I need to delete the Spybot folder first before I re-install another Spybot? Also when I log-on into the Limited account a dialog box quickly appear looking like this (http://i29.tinypic.com/2n9ksvn.jpg). I was not getting that message before...it was only after I did a wrong way of uninstalling Spybot. What does it mean and how do I correct everything?

md usa spybot fan
2008-05-27, 13:49
cromwell1230:

I'm sorry, until your second post I didn't realize that you were talking about the "DefaultUserName".

I don't know how to stop the registry change or the alert for it. As I attempted to indicate in your previous thread on the subject:
TeaTimer's alert about DefaultUserName...how to get rid of it?
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=25388

In a multiple users system Windows changes the DefaultUserName in the following registry key when you log off of one account and log onto another (from Meme to Dadi in this case).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
As long as both names are actual usernames on the system, particularly the "New data" name, just allow the registry change.

I don't know the intent of having TeaTimer monitor this particular registry key unless it is to alert you that someone else has logged onto the system since your last logon.

cromwell1230
2008-05-27, 14:20
I knew this had happened to me before...seems like deja vu. I attempted to search for my previous post here but unfortunately I was not successful...impatient I think.

I'd like to properly re-install Spybot now as I have uninstalled it already. However you've not answered my previous questions yet.

1.Do I need to delete the Spybot folder first(left-over of my uninstallation) before I re-install another Spybot?
2.What does this (http://i29.tinypic.com/2n9ksvn.jpg) message that I'm getting in my limited account mean, and how do I get rid and/or correct this?

Thanks md usa spybot fan and I hope you can still guide and help me on these queries.

md usa spybot fan
2008-05-27, 18:13
cromwell1230:

1.Do I need to delete the Spybot folder first(left-over of my uninstallation) before I re-install another Spybot?
Not necessarily, but I always do.

2.What does this (http://i29.tinypic.com/2n9ksvn.jpg) message that I'm getting in my limited account mean, and how do I get rid and/or correct this?
The message indicates that the system does not know how to deal with a ".disabled" file extension. File extensions of ".lnk" file are normally shortcuts. It appears that something may have disabled the shortcut "Philips Media Manager.lnk" by renaming it to "Philips Media Manager.lnk.disabled", possibly Spybot.

Did you ever fix anything with Spybot that identified the shortcut "Philips Media Manager.lnk" as a problem?

Does reinstalling Spybot eliminate the message?

cromwell1230
2008-05-27, 18:48
Thanks md usa spybot fan, I think I'm sorted now! I was able to re-install Spybot again after deleting the left-over Spybot folder in my Program Files. I also applied the remove-spybotsd-settings.reg file just to be sure prior to re-installation. So far my Spybot & my pc are running fine without anymore the annoying TeaTimer DefaultUserName alert.

With regards to the Philips Media Manager.lnk.disabled I was surprised to note that Philips Media Manager was among my start-up programs in the Limited account. It probably appeared there after I have uninstalled Spybot(I'm sure I denied it to be among my start-up programs using Spybot long time ago). And so when I deleted it as start-up item the message/alert about Philips Media Manager.lnk.disabled disappeared completely. I just hope this will not happen again for the 3rd time, esp the DefaultUserName alert dilemma. Again, thanks!