PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought about Immunizer

Amethyst
2008-05-29, 17:45
I just installed Spybot yesterday. I left the immunizer off yesterday and I did several scans. I was constantly cleaning out tracking cookies. Today I turned on the immunizer, and no more tracking cookies. I've been testing out web pages to see if they load properly, and in Firefox, not only do they load properly, they actually load a lot faster. My favorite news page is so graphics heavy that I usually leave the room for a minute or 2 to do something else while the page loads. I didn't need to today. I tried IE 7, which I seldom use (only if a page isn't working correctly in Firefox, which sometimes happens with stuff like YouTube, or when I want to get a second opinion from an online AV scanner), and I didn't find it loaded any faster there today. With the same news page, the page stayed blank, and then suddenly it was ALL THERE all at once, which was kind of different. :)

Any explanation as to why web pages might load faster with the immunization on? (I actually expected the opposite.) Is it that all the tracking cookies were taking that much bandwidth? My former security software also blocked most tracking cookies, or at least I thought it was, but now I wonder.

drragostea
2008-05-29, 23:20
Really, its not about the Immunization or cookies that might slow down or hasten your bandwidth or speed of your connection. Cookies are just files placed in your browser when you visit a site. It's more like a file, that will "remember" your visit to the site. Some people and programs consider cookies malicious as they track the user's daily activities... like the sites the user visits. I usually clear my cache, temp. files, and cookies from my browsers after every session. I get around 30-50MB of trash :spider:

Immunization basically, adds "killbits" to prevent some hundreds of cookies from added to your browsers and ActiveX's. The Immunize feature also adds "bad sites" to your restricted settings on your browser.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=123

This will have some details about what Spybot immunizes.

Clearing your cache, temp. files, and cookies (Private Data in Firefox) might speed things up. It may also help to defragment your drive every two or three weeks. If you have some chunk of cookies and temp. files in your browser, it may act slow.