PDA

View Full Version : Installation Problems

Kaput
2008-05-30, 23:33
Hi

Having problems installating S&D. The attached screenshot gives an indication of what is happening.
Previously I had S&D working properly but since trying to do a scan with Trend Micro pcvirus scan which also caused problems. That prog asked me to uninstall S&D in order for it to run properly. Trend Micro did not work properly and since trying to reinstall S&D I am experiencing problems.

drragostea
2008-05-30, 23:48
Spybot's team is still fixing that problem. From your screenshot, you seem to be running Windows XP. Is it patched? Also, what version of Trend Micro are you running? Pc-Chilling? Internet Security? Please specify.

Have you tried disabling your Trend Micro AV and then installing? Did you try installing the latest version?

2008-05-31, 01:27
during installation, uncheck download updates immediately. install spybot and then open it. go through the wizard, and when it asks you to update do so. Make sure your firewall is letting spybot to access the Internet. This is a known issue, it occurs when some users choose to download updates immediately when they install. Usually it is because a firewall prevents the installation wizard from connecting to the Internet. Try that and see if that helps. :laugh: Thanks for providing the screenshot, it shows that that should be the issue you are experiencing. While drragostea was correct in saying that there is an compatibility issue with some of trend micros software, (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=23504) I believe what I told you is the issue you are experiencing. Many users have asked this question before :) Good luck and let me know if that works!!

Kaput
2008-05-31, 15:06
Hi Guys

Your input appreciated and understood up to a point bearing in mind that my PC knowledge is not very technical.
Anyway I decided to sidestep trend micro as it was not only asking to uninstall S&D but it also wanted me to uninstall Spywareblaster. Too much hassle.
Actually I do not use Trend Micro but I was in the process of posting a thread regarding antivirus and wanted to send off a log using HJT. One of the things required that I did was, a scan using the trend micro trial version.
The forum which I was using is PCPITSTOP. There were options mentioned.

I am not quite sure if Safer Networking Forums deals with HJT problems. If so can you please direct me in finding details as to what is required of me before posting a HJT log for examination. Reason is that I find my PC of late running rather slow in some instances. Perhaps a virus lirking somewhere and causing me problems.
There is one other major problem which is currently being experienced and that is whenever certain programs run my CPU is very high and a whirring sound is being heard like the fan permanently being activated. Could that have anything to do with too little RAM?

Returning to problem why I made contact in the first instance, S&D is once again running after reinstalling and doing what you suggested.

Tks for your help / advice

Kaput

drragostea
2008-05-31, 16:20
Alright from your description, you are running a trial version of Trend Micro correct? I'll assume that will be temporarily. Is Trend Micro an anti-virus? Anti-spyware? Both or is it INTERNET SECURITY?

Specify what OS (OPERATING SYSTEM) you are using. eg. XP, 2000, Vista, etc. Also how much RAM your computer has. If you have Windows XP SP2, you should be able to see the CONTROL PANEL. It is found in the Start Menu.
- Click on "Performance and Maintenance" and click on "System". The following window should display your Operating System, Make, Year, Service Pack(s), and also how much RAM you have.

The high-CPU usage may not necessarily be a inadequate RAM problem. It may be due to running a "heavy" CPU-process. For example, running a full scan with an anti-virus program. That may result in a heavy CPU usage.

What I'm curious... maybe concerned with... What programs for example are you using? Everyday word processing or Internet browsers that cause the high-CPU usage and the activation of the fan?

You should only submit a hijack log to the Malware Forums, if your computer shows signs of infection. And yes, SaferNetworking forums supports HJK logs.
But first, I need the answers to those questions. That will give us a better chance of resolving your problem.

Also, was the SBSD installing successful?

jodylove
2008-06-02, 07:04
Ok, here's the problem. I am trying to install S&D 1.5.2, the latest version. After I choose the setup language, there is another screen just informing me that S&D will be installed (general SOP with Windows applications). Ok, so I hit next. Then I get the annoying sound that denotes an error in Windows. You know, the one that sounds like a base chord. It's the same sound you get when there's a .dll error, or a C++ Runtime error. However, no message is displayed explaining the error. Instead, the application merely terminates without warning, and no info is provided. I have tried downloading the setup file from multiple mirrors, to no avail, always with the same results. Please help!!!!!

Kaput
2008-06-02, 14:49
Don't quite know if I am doing this correctly but giving it a try. This is in response regarding reinstallation of Spybot. Following below mentioned pleased to say that installation worked fine and now once again able to use Program. Further threads will be answered shortly

during installation, uncheck download updates immediately. install spybot and then open it. go through the wizard, and when it asks you to update do so. Make sure your firewall is letting spybot to access the Internet. This is a known issue, it occurs when some users choose to download updates immediately when they install. Usually it is because a firewall prevents the installation wizard from connecting to the Internet. Try that and see if that helps. :laugh: Thanks for providing the screenshot, it shows that that should be the issue you are experiencing. While drragostea was correct in saying that there is an compatibility issue with some of trend micros software, (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=23504) I believe what I told you is the issue you are experiencing. Many users have asked this question before :) Good luck and let me know if that works!!

Terminator
2008-06-02, 14:56
Ok, here's the problem. I am trying to install S&D 1.5.2, the latest version. After I choose the setup language, there is another screen just informing me that S&D will be installed (general SOP with Windows applications). Ok, so I hit next. Then I get the annoying sound that denotes an error in Windows. You know, the one that sounds like a base chord. It's the same sound you get when there's a .dll error, or a C++ Runtime error. However, no message is displayed explaining the error. Instead, the application merely terminates without warning, and no info is provided. I have tried downloading the setup file from multiple mirrors, to no avail, always with the same results. Please help!!!!!

Have tried completely uninstalling spybot (see here (http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html) for the correct procedure) and clearing out you tempory files and Internet Temp files Cache and then reinstalling Spybot?

PS:

What version of Windows are running and is it fully Patched?

What Anti-Virus Software are you running?

Which Firewall are you using e.g. Zone Alarm, Comodo etc?

Kaput
2008-06-02, 15:46
Hi Terminator,

Tks but this input was by Jodylove and I assume maybe different to my prob.
Hopefully during the course of today will be responding to previous input regarding my problems

Tks
Kaput

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-02, 16:33
Kaput:

Personally, I can't tell what the problem you are encountering is because I can't see the detail in your screen print. If I might, I that suggest that you either describe the error messages you are getting or at lease do a screen print of the open windows rather than the entire screen by using Alt + Print Screen rather than Ctrl + Print Screen.

Kaput
2008-06-02, 16:41
Hi Guys

Details
Win XP PRO SP3, Version 2002, 512MB RAM

Noted yr comment regarding CPU usage. In my case CPU usage is usually high when running, e.g. Windows Defender, Zone Alarm scan, Spybot - Ad-Aware.
The whirring sound is heard almost in every instance when these are being done. There are also instances when one of the Svchost.exe files are in operation that the whrring sound is ever present. I assume in each case the fan is activated because as soon as CPU level recedes the noise abates.
Having decided against using Micro Trend (which incidently was the Micro Trend anti-virus/anti-spywre).
Incidentally the progs mentioned above all came up clean. In view of that shall I submit an HJT log for closer examiination. I assume the version which I use is 2.0.2 which can be downloaded from the Trend Micro site.

Not quite sure if the above suffices in answering some questions asked.
Awaiting your input.

Kaput

drragostea
2008-06-02, 20:21
Hm. When you say ZoneAlarm scan... I'm assuming you have the Pro version of it (it enables virus and spyware scanning). Does AdAware have real-time protection? I'm assuming Windows Defender's Resident Shield is enabled by default.

Is Trend Micro... a trial or you purchased it with subscription. Does it also have real-time protection enabled?

2008-06-03, 01:03
Don't quite know if I am doing this correctly but giving it a try. This is in response regarding reinstallation of Spybot. Following below mentioned pleased to say that installation worked fine and now once again able to use Program. Further threads will be answered shortly

Glad to hear I could help you :) let me know if you have any more problems arise. :)

jodylove
2008-06-03, 03:17
Have tried completely uninstalling spybot (see here (http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html) for the correct procedure) and clearing out you tempory files and Internet Temp files Cache and then reinstalling Spybot?

PS:

What version of Windows are running and is it fully Patched?

What Anti-Virus Software are you running?

Which Firewall are you using e.g. Zone Alarm, Comodo etc?

Windows XP SP2 is my current operating system. I am running AVG antivirus 7.5, and I am not currently using a firewall. Since S&D was never installed, no need for complete uninstall. I did, however, clean out temp and temp internet files. The problem still persists. BTW, what is it that I am to look for to know whether my Windows is "patched?"

drragostea
2008-06-03, 03:31
To say a system is patched basically means that it is updated, or up-to-date.

http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=198425&postcount=4
My post explains what a firewall is and what it does. These days, it would be more like inviting "baddies" into your house without a firewall :laugh:.

So basically, you cannot get past the "Next" button in the Setup Wizard?

Have you ever used Spybot in the past?

jodylove
2008-06-03, 05:38
To say a system is patched basically means that it is updated, or up-to-date.

http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=198425&postcount=4
My post explains what a firewall is and what it does. These days, it would be more like inviting "baddies" into your house without a firewall :laugh:.

So basically, you cannot get past the "Next" button in the Setup Wizard?

That is correct. When I press the "next" button, I get the bass chord error sound...the one you get when a ".dll is missing," or there's a "C++ runtime error." However, there is no message on the screen. The installer merely goes away, with no details on what is wrong. I have no firewall, and my XP Pro is patched. Running AVG antivirus. I tried disabling it, but it still did not work. Any ideas?

drragostea
2008-06-03, 05:43

Your system doesn't look very patched... :sad:. There's no firewall. The Windows firewall should be enabled by default at least.

AVG 8.0 came out some month's ago.

Terminator
2008-06-03, 12:00
Windows XP Service Pack 3 is now avaliable and I would seriously recommend installing it, fully patching your machine and Getting a good Firewall. Don't bother with McAfee, Symantec (Norton) or Trend Micro products as they have severe compatibility issues with Spybot and Windows Firewall is a waste of space so I recommend either Zone Alarm Free or Comodo Firewall and both are avaliable from filehippo.com.

PS: AVG 8.0 Is not recommended as it also has compatibility problems with Spybot 1.5.2 and Spyware Blaster 4.0.

2008-06-03, 18:07
Install windows Xp sp3, and then install an antiviruis such as avast, and use one of the firewalls terminator suggested :) Then try to install spybot again. Make sure you have no security programs that would block an installation. There are some security programs that will prevent things from being installed without your approval.

Kaput
2008-06-23, 19:19
Hi Guys

Late response regretted but had to reinstall my PC and problems appear to have been resolved. Having said that I now find that reinstalling S&D another problem has cropped - just this minute posted a new thread.
Sorry for any problems caused

Kaput

drragostea
2008-06-24, 00:35
Just as a wall of defense, I would install a firewall and anti-virus prior to connecting the computer on the Internet. After some, tedious :laugh:, downloading of some hundred MBs, install all miscellaneous programs. I wouldn't fire up Spybot & activate the TeaTimer before patching, because there will be lots of prompts.

Use a good firewall, reputable AV (mentioned above) and practice safe hex. Safe surfing.

Edit: Also just remember that updates for any software is there for a reason. Patch it.