PDA

View Full Version : WildTangent Removal

sprintcupfan
2008-05-31, 14:54
I seem to be having trouble removing some wild tangent files. It says I need to be an administrator or have the administrator fix the problems for me, I went to the folder and right clicked and run as administrator.. But that seemed not to fix it. How can I get rid of these files.. I am an administrator on Windows Vista. I went to add/remove programs and deleted all the files that said Wild Tangent.. I just need this fixed please. I am at my wits end. Dont know what else to do.

Please help me.

sprintcupfan

drragostea
2008-05-31, 16:12
Hello, sprintcupfan. From Spybot-SD... it seems that WildTangent is a PUP. Which means it is unnecessary. I believe it was installed with WMP or Winamp. I'm not so sure, because I rarely use those programs.

Is this the only account on your PC? Thus, is it Administer?
Also, are you using the latest version of Spybot-SD?
The latest is 1.5.2.20. With detection updates as of : May 28, 2008 (in US).

Terminator
2008-05-31, 18:20
Also see the FAQ HERE (http://www.spybot.info/en/faq/42.html) on Spybot and Vista.

sprintcupfan
2008-06-01, 12:15
the are other users on this computer but I am the administrator..
Are you telling me that I should not do anything about it and not worry to much about it? If so I will.. Although I did another scan yesterday and it removed a couple of files but still had registry issue..

sprintcupfan

drragostea
2008-06-01, 17:36
Are you telling me that I should not do anything about it and not worry to much about it?

We never said anything or even imply about not helping you or telling you to leave it alone. The reason why we're here is to help you resolve your problem. If we told you to leave it alone, I and Terminator wouldn't even have responded :).

Q: Who are those "people" who run as Admin? Are you a Limited Account? Is this a workstation or a personal computer at home?

Did you try Terminator's advice to "Run as Admin" as suggested by the FAQ?

So, I'm seeing that from your first post that Spybot detected WildTangent, a PUP, and you removed it from the Add/Remove Program window correct? Then, Spybot might be detecting some registry keys "left over" by this PUP.

djpailo
2008-06-01, 22:17
http://www.pchell.com/support/wildtangent.shtml

Literally a 5 second google search, and clear instructions on how to remove it.

Terminator
2008-06-01, 22:49
That site does not look reliable!

drragostea
2008-06-01, 23:09
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1266

djpailo, you may NOT give malware removal instructions. You are not authorized to give instructions. Not all users know how to manually edit the registry. And not all users know how to run fixes on Hi-jack this.

Refrain from doing this. Do not try to override the rules on Spybot forums.

2008-06-03, 02:09
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1266

djpailo, you may NOT give malware removal instructions. You are not authorized to give instructions. Not all users know how to manually edit the registry. And not all users know how to run fixes on Hi-jack this.

Refrain from doing this. Do not try to override the rules on Spybot forums.

I agree with terminator and drragostea. Wildtanget can be nasty and hard to remove depending on the case. I have dealt with it over the years, and it is not fun. Anyway, I recommend if you want to get rid of it, try a spybot scan in safe mode and see if spybot can then remove all the entries.

How to boot into safe mode:

Reboot your computer into SafeMode by doing the following:

* Restart your computer
* After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, begin tapping F8.
* Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear.
* Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.
* Once windows loads, launch spybot and do a complete scan. remove anything found. Launch other security software and scan with them as well, remove anything found.
*restart your machine, you are now using windows in normal mode.*

If that does not work, you can just leave it. If it is causing your pc to not function correctly, then follow terminator and drragostea's suggestions. Usually on most Pc's it did not cause that much trouble, but on some it can get bad. If it is not affecting performance or causing any issues, i would not worry about it.
If you want it removed, try the safe mode method, or use another antispyware program to remove it. :)

Terminator
2008-06-03, 12:05
I only downloaded WildTangent ONCE many years ago when I was still running Windows 2000 and it was real irritation but in the end I had to get new Hard Drive because the old one failed (though an unrelated problem). Never again did I download it, I learnt my lesson.

drragostea
2008-06-04, 01:08
Terminator, so isn't WildTangent like an sorta "add-on" to the specific media player? Or is it a music player like Winamp itself?

How was it annoying, lols, I just want to know? Like nag screens?

Scary. :fear:.

Terminator
2008-06-04, 01:12
It was something I downloaded seprately off one those freebie Flash games sites and the irritation was the constant nagging to upgrade, to use specific settings and notifiying when new versions of games were avaliable, and like I said in my previous post, the problem was solved for me by my hard drive packing up:laugh:. I'm never downloading that again:police:.

drragostea
2008-06-04, 01:31
Freebie flash games. Lols, :laugh:. I remember visiting Neopets when I was younger. I kept getting those... trojans and viruses.

We... should see a response from spritcupfan. Since it's their thread after all.

sprintcupfan
2008-06-04, 22:34
I am the only one as Admin. My wife is the only other Person using the computer. I did try the suggestion and run as admin as i nThe FAQ's. I might jusrt well leave alone.. i dont know how else to get rid of.. probably not that important or are they?

2008-06-04, 23:42
you can just leave it. If it is causing your pc to not function correctly, then remove it. If it is not affecting your computers performance, or causing "weird" things to happen with the computer, don't worry about it. Usually on most Pc's it did not cause that much trouble, but on some it can get bad. If it is not affecting performance or causing any issues, i would not worry about it.
If you want it removed, try the safe mode method, or use another antispyware program to remove it. :) I hope that answers your question! :)

drragostea
2008-06-05, 05:26
Well it would depend of what Anti-spyware program detects WildTangent.

Well in spiritcupfan's first post:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=197518&postcount=1

The user said that they wanted WildTangent to be removed from their system. Also they said that they removed all the files associated with WildTangent.

Question is what files? In XP usually, for example, the WildTangent would just standout with file size, name, and support info.

cupfan, I thought you said you removed WildTangent? What is still the problem? Spybot detects the registry keys left by WildTangent?

sprintcupfan
2008-06-07, 14:14
Here they r. these are the files that are in my system...

WildTangent: [SBI $98F61EF7] Interface (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{1FAD572E-1A3D-44D9-9C23-A87F922DA8C0}

WildTangent: [SBI $6D7AAFCA] Type library (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{7946205B-FEF7-494F-A64B-3E992A780866}

WildTangent: [SBI $C1EB7028] Root class (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Logger.LogSession

WildTangent: [SBI $C1EB7028] Root class (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Logger.LogSession.1

WildTangent: [SBI $C1EB7028] Class ID (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{A62FA99E-922E-4ECA-A1D9-B54EF294A3CC}

--- Spybot - Search & Destroy version: 1.5.2 (build: 20080128) ---

drragostea
2008-06-08, 01:14
You removed WildTanget (PUP) via Control Panel >ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS window.

The results of the "leftover" files are detected by Spybot. Thing is that I don't see any harm of the leftover registry keys, as Add/Remove Programs does not fully remove everything.

Alright to get this together... you are running a Vista OS correct? There are two accounts? One for your wife and one for you?

You run as Administer correct? Is your wife's account Limited/Standard?