PDA

View Full Version : i have no clue what i am doing

sheri1
2008-05-31, 15:18
:sad:my friend gave me you address; he said you guys helped him get rid of a trojan at xmas (what is a trojan anyhow) apparently i have a trojan!! i need help i have no clue what i am doing and don't understand why i can access internet but all my microsoft office and other stuff says application failied with a big red cross i tried to download your free software but just kept going round in a big loop and got nowhere anyway hope to hear from someone soon cheers sheri i dont exactly know how i will know when someone is there to help me like i said i have no clue what i am doing:red:

md usa spybot fan
2008-05-31, 18:03
sheri1:

A Trojan horse, or simply Trojan, is a piece of software which appears to perform a certain action but in fact performs another.

Can you describe when you mean "… but just kept going round in a big loop and got nowhere" while trying to download Spybot.

sheri1
2008-06-01, 01:11
my friend went to spybot site and we downloaded the free software the download all looked good you know with the little green bars filling up and then the download was complete. when the download finished a window came up asking what program we wanted to use to run spybot and automatically internet explorer was highlighted in blue. we thought this was strange as my friend said it just automatically ran when he dl it. anyhow we clicked ok and then another window came up that said run or save and then it just kept going in a loop back to the 'what program to do you want to use to run the program and then back to 'run or save'. it didnt matter whether we hit run or save the same thing just kept happening. when i look in my programs from the start menu spybot is not there i just have a shortcut to the site on my desktop. my friend spent alot of time with the people in the forum at xmas getting rid of a trojan (successfully) and is a lot more knowledgable than me and he says that he has no clue what is going on

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-01, 05:50
sheri1:

Please try the download again. Make sure when downloading the you are downloading the program spybotsd152.exe and that you use the save option. After the download completes, double click on program spybotsd152.exe and see if it will start the installation process.

sheri1
2008-06-01, 16:31
thanks, i have tried this and just keep getting that loop thing happening.
i click on download and get all the green bars then download is complete and then a window pops up asking which program i want to use to run spybot with internet explorer highlighted in blue so i click ok and then it says run or save and i save and it goes back to what program do you want to use to run spybot with internet explorer highlighted and it just keeps going round and round and i cant get it to run:sad:

sheri1
2008-06-01, 16:36
i am nearly close to saving my photos and wiping hd clean and starting again - what a nightmare!!!!!!!!!

drragostea
2008-06-02, 00:43
This is odd. :sad: This only appears (which program to run confirmation) when:
One: The user does not have the appropriate program to run the file. eg. a .PDF file with no Acrobat Reader installed/
Two: The user may have right-clicked "Run As"... in this case this is not happening.

What OS are you running? How about the browser?