PDA

View Full Version : AVG 7.5 says hosts file changed; Immunizer?

Amethyst
2008-05-31, 18:40
Hello,

I've installed Spybot on May 28th and on May 29 I activated the immunizer function.

I am using AVG 7.5 as an antivirus. Prior to installing spybot, I did a complete system scan with AVG and it came back clean.

Spybot picked up a lot of tracking cookies, which I got rid of easily, but without the immunizer, every time I used my browser I would pick up more tracking cookies.

On May 29 I activated the immunizer. Today I ran a routine complete scan with AVG 7.5 antivirus. I have AVG set to not automatically heal stuff--in case of false positives, I want to look into things first before I let any antivirus do something to a file. (My former security software picked up several false positives, I felt like I had to protect my computer FROM my security software! :rolleyes:)

Today's AVG scan said the following had changed:

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

I see from checking the properties that the date and time of modification coincides with when I activated the immunizer. AVG says 'no threats' were detected, but it has documented this hosts file change.

I just want to verify that this is normal, that immunizer would have changed the hosts file. I see there are also backup host files in the "etc" folder.

BTW, I haven't picked up a single tracking cookie since the immunizer has been on and things are working great. :)

md usa spybot fan
2008-05-31, 18:47
Amethyst:

The immunization item "Global (Hosts)" under Windows adds Spybot's HOSTS file entries to your system's HOSTS file. So it's normal if that item was checked when you immunized.

Amethyst
2008-05-31, 19:16
Great! Thanks for clearing that up. :)