PDA

View Full Version : Help with 'Antivirus 2008'

buggaluggs45
2008-06-01, 14:50
Hi

I hope i'm putting this post in the right place its the 1st time i've used your forum.

I've got 'Antivirus 2008' on my PC which as far as i can see is fake antivirus software. I've run spybot (my trusted friend) and its not detecting the malware as a threat. Also as spybot is running the malware is detecting spybot and saying that spybot is a threat.

I've uninstalled spybot and reinstalled it to make sure i have the most updated version and then i've checked for updates and scanned the computer again but spybot is still not detecting the malware as a threat.

I'm not sure if spybot will detect malware but its never failed me in the past and i've also seen on the spybot homepage that 'antivirus 2008' is listed in the most recent updates.

Am i doing something wrong or is the malware so new its still be worked on by the spybot team.

Many thanks for your help.

Clare

pskelley
2008-06-02, 01:17
Welcome to Safer Networking, I wish to be sure you have viewed and understand this information.
"BEFORE you POST" (READ this Procedure before Requesting Assistance)
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
All advice given is taken at your own risk.
Please make sure you have read this information so we are on the same page.

Hello Clare, I'll see if I can help. You will need to read the directions I posted and follow it, but first stick with me. You are right, hackers are throwing junk at us faster than we can learn to remove it. It's all about the $$$. But in this case, our good friend Grinler, at BleepingComputer created a removal tutorial. What you want to do is read the directions I posted which are also pinned (sticky) at the top of the forum. Then follow the instructions in this tutorial:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/antivirus-2008

Since you are running Spybot S&D, if you are running TeaTimer, turn it off until we finish this cleanup. It will block the tools we use and the changes we must make.

When you finish the tutorial, post a HijackThis log and tell me how your computer is running.

Thanks...Phil