PDA

View Full Version : Computer restarts during virus scans, can't finish or fix.

TheJudge310
2008-06-02, 02:23
Hey everybody.

I found this forum looking for someone with the same problem I have. I found someone who had a similar problem using the search tool, however his problem went away before anyone helped him, and thus I didn't really find what I was looking for.

Basically, what's happening is 5 days ago lord knows what happened and somehow the computer crashed. I figured out instantly it was a virus when the computer restarted and I pressed CRTL-ALT-DELETE and it told me it was disabled. Over the past few days I figured out how to fix that, and various other problems including removing most of the spyware and pop up stuff manually, however there are still a few problems I'm having.

Let me also state that reformatting the computer is not an option. I'm not sure if I have a windows disc, but regardless, there's too much info to lose.

Problem #1 - The computer will not run a virus scan at all. I've tried AVG, I tried Windows OneCare, I tried a few other things but every single scan has always crashed the computer roughly 1-2% into the scan with the "blue screen of death". That makes it hard to identify what the problem is, and even harder to fix it. Yes, it does it in safe mode as well. A few other things trigger the same blue screen, whenever I would try to back up files it did it (not sure if it still does, don't want to lose this post.) Also loading up certain internet radio stations. Online virus scans that don't require a download also cause the computer to blue screen into oblivion.

Problem #2 - When the computer shuts down sometimes it takes multiple restarts to get it to work. Sometimes while windows is starting the blue screen pops up and it goes back to square one. In the beginning, it would do this 10 or 20 times before finally working, since fixing some of the problems I've noticed it takes less, but it's still something I'm concerned about.

Problem #3 - The virus, at an early stage but not on the first few boots, deleted both system restore, the windows help file, and msconfig, so those 3 options are unavailable.

Other then that it's all random. I haven't tested every program yet, it was only an hour or so ago that I got the constant pop-ups and fake-virus scanners to stop using SmitfraudFix. I believe every crash has happened during either a download, an install, or a scan, but beyond that my knowledge is limit and my brain is fried. Does anyone have any suggestions or know any steps I can take?

TheJudge310
2008-06-02, 07:38
Just an update, it's still been crashing, but the crashes are sometimes random. After a game of warcraft, in the middle of editing a picture in photoshop, twice after starting mozilla.

Please help someone if you can, I have no idea what to do with all the virus scans not working.

Blade81
2008-06-04, 07:32
Hi

I think you missed BEFORE you POST (READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288) sticky ;)

Download and install TrendMicro HijackThis (http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/_download/HJTInstall.exe)
* Once installed open HijackThis by clicking Start > Programs > HijackThis and click the button labeled
Do a system scan only

* Click the scan button in the lower left hand corner of the interface and HijackThis will quickly scan your system.
* Once the scan is complete the scan button will now read save log. Click this button to save the log file to your PC. Once you select where you would like to save the file it will open in your systems default text editor. Typically this application is Notepad. Post the log here.