PDA

View Full Version : Installing Spybot-S&D (McAfee?)

jpaulwhite
2008-06-03, 17:56
All,
I was a pretty avid fan of SpyBot a couple of years ago when I first started in Desktop Support. Now I am trying to lock down my home computer and plan on installing SpyBot along with McAfee (Because I can get it for free lol) to accomplish this. Has anyone ever heard of any conflicts with the 2 applications? I remember previously if you had a customer that had more than one SpyWare/AntiVirus program installed they would conflict and you would have to boot up in Safe Mode and uninstall one of them. Thanks for any answers,

John

2008-06-03, 18:13
1.) Download all the latest Microsoft updates.
2.) Only have one antiviruis. Such as avast, or antivir.
3.) Only one firewall such as zonealarm or comodo.
4.) You may have many antispyware programs, just make sure not all of them run active protection residents. For example, I can run Windows defender alongside spybot with no issues. I am running two residents at the same time. It works just fine for me, but if you run other antispyware programs, you want to make sure not all of them are running active protection. Try just windows defender and spybot together running, then you can install other antispyware that are just scan only, such as adaware free. :)

You should be fine with that combo. Let me know if you experience any issues!
Hope that helps!!

jpaulwhite
2008-06-03, 20:33
1.) Download all the latest Microsoft updates.
2.) Only have one antiviruis. Such as avast, or antivir.
3.) Only one firewall such as zonealarm or comodo.
4.) You may have many antispyware programs, just make sure not all of them run active protection residents. For example, I can run Windows defender alongside spybot with no issues. I am running two residents at the same time. It works just fine for me, but if you run other antispyware programs, you want to make sure not all of them are running active protection. Try just windows defender and spybot together running, then you can install other antispyware that are just scan only, such as adaware free. :)

You should be fine with that combo. Let me know if you experience any issues!
Hope that helps!!

Thanks for the prompt reply! Im going to try that and let you know how it works. Before I install them though, I already have McAfee installed. If I uninstall it do you think itll mess anything up? I dont think so but I figured Id ask just in case lol...

paul

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-03, 22:42
jpaulwhite:

... I ... plan on installing SpyBot along with McAfee (Because I can get it for free lol) to accomplish this. ...
Are you getting it free because it comes with AOL?

There have been problems reported accessing AOL with AOL/McAfee and Spybot's immunization domain entries in place.

Apparently McAfee's internet security is intolerant of a substantial number of Internet Explorer restricted zone entries which Spybot's immunization and other products such a SpywareBlaster place in the system's registry.

See:
AOL problems w/spybot
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=22059
Bocks Aol?
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=28856

jpaulwhite
2008-06-03, 22:59
jpaulwhite:

Are you getting it free because it comes with AOL?

There have been problems reported accessing AOL with AOL/McAfee and Spybot's immunization domain entries in place.

Apparently McAfee's internet security is intolerant of a substantial number of Internet Explorer restricted zone entries which Spybot's immunization and other products such a SpywareBlaster place in the system's registry.

See:
AOL problems w/spybot
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=22059
Bocks Aol?
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=28856

Nooo. I get McAfee from my job. But actually I think I will use Avast as it is free for home use. AOL sucks booooo! My first IT job was helping people who switched over to Erols internet service from AOL. MANNNnnnnnn AOL used to hose their settings lol...thanks again too

2008-06-04, 01:14
Good luck and welcome to the forums!! :welcome:

drragostea
2008-06-04, 01:24
Yesm there were some conflicting issues with AOL, McAfee and Spybot. I don't remember.

Point is that, McAfee is a memory giant. The Internet Security is just too much of a load. I just see that it's kind of paranoid to get such a thing at such a high price. Free, robust programs offer the equivalent maybe for no cost or a small cost.

If you would like to uninstall, it would alright to uninstall in Normal Boot. Safe boot is fine also, it is just user decision. Welcome to the forums. :euro: