PDA

View Full Version : Query re registry change warning - PIF Extension Handler

s-wine
2008-06-04, 23:07
G'day all,

I'm new here so hope I am posting to the correct spot! I'm running XP Pro SP2. I've just returned home after 6 weeks away and on running updates on my desktop I updated to SpyBot 1.5.2. Also yesterday upgraded OpenOffice to 2.4.

A SpyBot registry change warning has come up which I need advice on. What has surprised was that it didn't come up during the installation nor during the reboot but rather later when I was just doing some web-browsing. I have searched Google but haven't found where I can get advice/info re registry entries.

Warning:-

Category: PIF Extension Handler
Change: Value changed
Entry:
Old Data: "%1" %*
New Data: "%1" %*"

I denied change but it has reappeared on re-boot!

drragostea
2008-06-05, 05:20
What was the previous version of Spybot you were running? 1.4? Have you uninstalled that one before installing the new one?

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html

Did the prompt come up during installation?

Basically the idea would be that it would be okay to allow the prompt if it was an installation... but if it were a normal day of web browsing with no user interaction then the prompt appears, it would be best to deny it.

However, in your case you said that the prompt appears repeatedly after a reboot correct?

s-wine
2008-06-05, 08:50
What was the previous version of Spybot you were running? 1.4? Have you uninstalled that one before installing the new one?

Previously: ?? sorry - can't remember!! (how relevant??)
No I didn't uninstall first - I just used in-built search for updates - so no manual uninstall of prior version.

Did the prompt come up during installation?

No - as per OP it came up later whilst web browsing

Basically the idea would be that it would be okay to allow the prompt if it was an installation... but if it were a normal day of web browsing with no user interaction then the prompt appears, it would be best to deny it.
Thanks - yes I do understand that this is the basis for interacting with S&D. I am seeking assistance to understand (a) what is likely to have provoked this warning?; and (b) what the implications are of the regedit proposed in the warning?

However, in your case you said that the prompt appears repeatedly after a reboot correct?
It appeared first whilst browsing the web. I denied it. It then appeared again on reboot which was when I posted to this forum.

What opinions are there of the actual content of the regedit it is requesting approval for?

drragostea
2008-06-05, 19:27
Hrm. Alright. On the main window of Spybot-SD, click on HELP and ABOUT. The help tab will be on the top left-hand corner of Spybot.

The latest version is 1.5.2.20.

What I would suggest is uninstalling Spybot-Search&Destroy via the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS window in the Control Panel.
It seems to me that you were running a dated version of it, and then updated it to 1.5. But still, check the ABOUT.

After that I'll give you further instructions.