PDA

View Full Version : Use only one CPU for application

sehnbadt
2008-06-05, 03:42
I have two computers, one at home and one at work. Spybot is installed on both of them but in one computer, when I go in the Spybot settings, under the Scan Priority tab there is a setting called "Use only one CPU for application" and one called "Use only one CPU for scanner" I'd like to use the one CPU scanner setting for my PC at work because I don't want Spybot to use 100% CPU load and slow down my work but I can't find the setting. I see it only on my personal PC at home. Both Spybot are the same version 1.5.2.20the only difference is that one is in english and the other in french. How is that possible?

Thanks

drragostea
2008-06-05, 05:37
So you're saying that you want Spybot to run at a lower priority so you can both do work and scan at the same time?

Do you have a Duo Core processor?

Is it possible to install both English versions of Spybot? However, that will be optional. You can adjust the settings of scanning priorities in the ADVANCED MODE and SETTINGS tab.

sehnbadt
2008-06-05, 05:52
So you're saying that you want Spybot to run at a lower priority so you can both do work and scan at the same time? yes exactly

Do you have a Duo Core processor? I have AMD Athlon x64 Dual Core Processors.

On my computer at home Spybot always use only 50% of CPU I don't know if it's my motherboard that's too old to fully support Dual Core CPUs? At work, my newer computer uses 100% CPU while scanning with Spybot even though the priority is set to lower. That's why I'd like to use the setting "Use only one CPU for scanner" but I don't see it anywhere. This option appears in the Spybot settings of my home computer though.

drragostea
2008-06-05, 05:58
Which language is installed at home? French? You can find ADVANCED MODE can you? It's under the MODE tab on the left hand corner next to FILE.

sehnbadt
2008-06-07, 06:01
Finaly both versions are in english, I thought one was in french but I was wrong, I guess I don't notice anymore french and english since I'm fluent in both :) I do use the "advanced mode" but I still don't see the option for using "only one CPU for scanning" on my computer at work. Weird. I'd like that setting on my computer at work, I can't work while I'm scanning as it uses 100% CPU. Any idea?

Thanks

drragostea
2008-06-08, 01:05
What OS (Operating System) are you running at home and at work?

I found the two options available in SETTINGS tab.
ADVANCED MODE>SETTINGS>SETTINGS.

The two boxes indicate under SCAN PRIORITY:
^Use only one CPU for application
^Use only one CPU for scanner

sehnbadt
2008-06-10, 02:46
Both my operating systems are Windows XP Professional SP3, at home and at work.

drragostea
2008-06-10, 03:05
I found the two options available in SETTINGS tab.
ADVANCED MODE>SETTINGS>SETTINGS.

The two boxes indicate under SCAN PRIORITY:
^Use only one CPU for application
^Use only one CPU for scanner

The settings should be fine since we are both using Windows XP SP3. Did you find the options?

sehnbadt
2008-06-10, 04:15
i found the options at home but I can't see them at work, tomorrow I'll post a print screen of the settings from my pc at work. Thanks for helping me. Maybe if I reinstall Spybot the problem will be solved.

drragostea
2008-06-10, 04:51
I'm not sure how reinstalling will help.

You should have the same exact settings as I do... :sad:

Get the print screen, I'll see what may be the problem. :cowboy:

2008-06-10, 06:05
"Both Spybot are the same version 1.5.2.20..."

Thanks

I don't mean to sound rude, but are you absolutely positive they are the same version? Because the same settings should be there.....

PepiMK
2008-06-10, 12:09
The entries for choosing to assign only one CPU to the application/scanner are removed from the GUI if the CPU does not seem to have multi-core nor multi-threading.

Detection this is done through GetProcessAffinityMask (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms683213%28VS.85%29.aspx) in kernel32.dll. This function is available in Windows 2000, XP and Vista (as well as 2003 and 2008 on the server side).

This may fail if Spybot-S&D has insufficient rights to query how many cores there are; in which case it would also not have sufficient rights to change on how many "cores" it may use anyway.

sehnbadt
2008-06-10, 13:59
Here is the print screen of the settings related to scan priority. As you can see the options for using only one CPU are not present! Can it be a ''Show more options'' setting that has to be checked? Like when you check the ''show expert buttons in results list'' under the expert tab a Pause and a Stop button appear in the scan section?
See the attached file, too bad we can't save in jpg I hope you'll be able to see something.

sehnbadt
2008-06-11, 14:45
My PC at home has an AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ 2.4GHz and the one at work has an AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ 3.21 GHz so the setting for using only one CPU should be there on both computers. My spybot were the same versions so I don't get it. It doesn't matter anymore guys since I just installed the new Spybot 6 Beta 1 and the scan speed has improved incredibly, it's now 5 times faster than version 5. It's so fast now It doesn't slow down my work anymore so don't bother trying to find out why I could not use the setting to use one CPU. Not that it wouldn't be nice to know. You guys should try out version 6 beta, I found it to be very fast and stable. What an improvement. :)

drragostea
2008-06-12, 02:18
Betas are not always perfect, as they will be a likely chance of bugs. I would suggest you download the RC of Spybot-SD 1.6 to get the taste if it.

And your printscreen image was too small to read. Are you using "Vista INSPIRAT"? GUI transformers like that can really drag your computer down.

I use Gadwin Printscreen as my "Printscreen".

Vista Inspirat takes up around 200MB of space. That's incredible, yet ridiculous to me. Trust me, I used VTP8 before, and it wasn't good.

sehnbadt
2008-06-18, 19:37
hey drragostea :) I dunno if I use the RC version but mine is 1.6.0.25 and after two weeks of testing I find it to be bug free in XP but in Vista (my new OS dual boot with XP) it seems that it does not want to integrate into security center. Yes I'm using Inspirat in XP but I disabled the add-ons, i just use the skin. But I may go back to simple Zune theme and Vista icons with icon tweeker. Does inspirat have to do with my print screen being too small? I haven't been able to do a good print screen! I usualy do. I thought it was because the forum only allow for a ridiculous picture size of 620 x 280 and doesn't allow jpg :sad:

drragostea
2008-06-18, 22:16
Like I said betas are not perfect and they are not bug free either. Spybot restricts the size of files because we have to respect users who use dial-up. It's hard for dial-up users to view a page which takes forever to load if it was a big file.

Actually Inspirat is not causing the small printscreen. Find the PRINTSCREEN key (PrtScn) and tap it on where you want to take a screenshot of. You won't be notified of the screenshot.

Go to PAINT (Accessories) and then PASTE it. Save as JPEG because that format takes up the least space. Spybot allows JPEG images. You can upload it online.

There is a Zune theme for Windows XP, FYI.

sehnbadt
2008-06-19, 19:47
I can't submit a picture, when I click on Attachments it always says file error even though my picture is only 620 x 280 what can I do?

drragostea
2008-06-19, 21:58
You mean an error occurs when you attempt to attach the file in the response?

I see. I just checked out the Attachments" button and it does not mention JPEG. My best bet is upload the file on a reputable site like Photobucket.

Then link it back here. The image shouldn't be too big.

sehnbadt
2008-06-20, 16:42
Thanks drragostea for the help, I signed in to photobucket and here is the link to my picture:

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm293/sehnbadt/CPU.jpg

This is spybot on my computer at work, I have a Dual Core CPU but the option is not present.

drragostea
2008-06-20, 23:37
Oh yikes. I'm not sure what the problem is :sad:. I think it has something to do with your Duo Core processor. I ran out of ideas, sorry.

What I can suggest is that if you have the time is to run a full scan with Spybot during minimal activity, such as a coffee break :laugh:.
--
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z276/Shockwavesn1per/06-20-08001.jpg
--
The image above is a screenshot of my single core...processor...

I got it! Sorry for the wait, lols.

I recall that Spybot does not utilize Duo Core processors. The story is that Duo Core processors divide the "work"... so half and half of the work of the running processes will go to each core, so it won't be much of a strain for the system.

Problem is that Spybot-SD does not use Duo Core.

2008-06-21, 02:27
That makes sense drragostea, lets hope that works for the user. The only other suggestion i can make is to visit Microsoft update, (click custom and download all hardware updates) or your computers company providers website, and install any hardware updates, and the latest drivers for your processor, etc. If you can, since u said it is your business one you might not be able to...

Also you said: "I'd like to use the one CPU scanner setting for my PC at work because I don't want Spybot to use 100% CPU load and slow down my work".............do you mean while scanning with spybot? Because you could just use the lowest scan priority.....

drragostea
2008-06-21, 02:44
.............do you mean while scanning with spybot? Because you could just use the lowest scan priority.....

Ah, that works...

Thing is that that... giant of a Duo Core processor compared to my single processor :laugh:... Just kiddin'. What I mean is that Spybot shouldn't take up a load of CPU unless that user is running other programs simultaneously.

On a Pentium 4, Spybot takes around 49-50% of CPU with no other activity. I usually run it after my session.

2008-06-21, 05:09
although, i noticed that during the scanning, some items spike the processor to 100% but then it goes back down to normal. But yeah i see what you mean. Could be a memory leak in the spybot program while scanning for certain items. I am sure version 1.6 or whatever the version number is coming out soon will fix issues like this, seeing as how the scan time will be seriously degraded.......it should not matter in the future even if spybot takes 100% cpu, the scan wont take a long time in any case.

drragostea
2008-06-21, 06:00
I understand, PepiMK is looking into the TeaTimer RAM usage too.

Now back the the thread topic, 129260 ;0.

sehnbadt
2008-06-23, 19:42
At work Spybot is using 100% of CPU for the entire scan while at home it uses only 50% of CPU load. Maybe because at home I have an older nForce 3 chipset and it can't use both cores? anyway as I said version 1.6 is fast so I don't mind anymore and I like you guys daid I can scan during coffee break :)

PepiMK
2008-06-23, 19:47
Since you said "at work", do you have full admin rights on that machine? See my post #12 ;)

And regarding TeaTimer memory usage, I might have found some improvements there, just need to check against speed (not that helpful if it would slow the speed down too much ;) ).