PDA

View Full Version : Immunization Gets Stuck on IE Domains

Da Da
2008-06-05, 09:29
I've been using Spybot S&D for years without any problems. I have Windows XP Professional, and I'm using full administrator rights.

Today, I downloaded the latest updates like I always have and then I proceeded to immunize. The immunization process did fine until it got to Internet Explorer (32/64 bit) .DEFAULT (domains). When it got to the domains the immunization process got stuck and stayed there. I couldn't even shut down Spybot S&D and I also tried shutting it down using CNTL-ALT-DEL and then "Shut Down" application--didn't work.

Finally, I had to reboot Windows XP. I tried immunizing again, and the process got stuck at the same place again. Again, Spybot wouldn't even shut down. I had to reboot Windows XP again.

On the first try, 162 domains are unprotected, and 8559 are protected, for a total of 8721 Internet Explorer (32/64 bit) DEFAULT (domains).

So next, I selected only the IE (32/64 bit) domains and selected "Undo". When I tried to re-immunize, the process got stuck again, and Spybot would no longer shut down. Now, all 8721 domains are unprotected!

The only way immunize will complete is if I deselect Domains and Global (hosts). The immunization process the will complete, but now I have all domains and hosts unprotected.

Is something wrong with the latest Spybot S&D update for June 4th, 2008?

I'm not sure what would be causing the conflict since I have been updating and immunizing everything fine for years without any problems until today. No new software has been installed recently on my Windows XP. I am also using Spyware Blaster, AVG Free Anti-Virus, Zone Alarm firewall (free version) and EMSI a-squared free if that helps. On my Zone Alarm, the host file is NOT locked and never has been.

Da Da
2008-06-05, 09:52
Ignore this post. Problem has been resolved.:oops:

LightCatcher
2008-06-07, 17:01
I have had essentially the same problem you described. But, being a fairly new user of SpyBot haven't figured out how to resolve.

I have 162 Global (Hosts) files unprotected and have never seen that before.

Can you give me direction on how to fix that ?

Da Da
2008-06-07, 17:24
The problem somehow resolved itself on its own. I tried immunizing again later on and then it fully immunized and worked fine. Sometimes the green progress bar during immunization kind of moved slowly and stopped a few seconds, but if you wait long enough, eventually it finished.

While immunizing, if the brick wall graphic near the upper left hand corner is still moving (animated), it probably means that the immunization process is still working, so just wait a while. Sometimes it may take a several minutes (depending on how fast/slow your computer is) to finish.

Good luck.

LightCatcher
2008-06-07, 17:51
Thanks for the feedback....I've immunized several times but I'll try immunizing again and see what happens ! I appreciate your response.