PDA

View Full Version : Fixed: baidu.com in hosts?

antdude
2008-06-06, 16:20
Hi.

I just noticed the latest Spybot's hosts file has Baidu.com's search domains listed. Why are they in the list? Does Baidu (not its search result links) supply bad malwares or something? I know some people use this specific search engine for Chinese stuff and were wondering why they couldn't connect.

Thank you in advance. :)

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-06, 19:08
antdude:

Threads discussing Baidu:
Baidu Searchbar
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=10690
over-aggressiveness or a possible bug?
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=27203
why block BAIDU.COM
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=27078

antdude
2008-06-06, 19:47
antdude:

Threads discussing Baidu:
Baidu Searchbar
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=10690
over-aggressiveness or a possible bug?
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=27203
why block BAIDU.COM
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=27078
Interesting. I did not remove bar.baidu.com because I did not want the toolbar. I guess I will manually remove the baidu.com search engine domains for now on.

When did Spybot add these baidu.com? Just curious.

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-07, 14:20
antdude:

The following entries were added 2008-04-16.
www.baidu.com
baidu.com
bar.baidu.com

Sailaphair
2008-06-07, 17:56
I'm a Spybot user from China...(My English is poor...)

After latest updates(2008-04-16), Baidu.com has been blocked by Spybot.
It's quite unconvenient for the Chinese people who use spybot (just like me); if they also set the Baidu as their main search engine, than it's a big problem.
Even though the main reason (for the block) is the baidu toolbar. I guess that it's enough to just block the toolbar. For there are also many useful services offered by Baidu. (I set Google as my main SE, but sometimes Baidu is also useful!)

And if I want to continue to use the Spybot, I have to manually remove the baidu enties from the Internet Explorers restricted websites and hosts file, and change SDhelp option. However after every update, I should repeat the work again. That will make me mad.

I know uninstallion of Spybot is not a solution. I should remove all the registry keys created by the Spybot such as those at the following location:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap]

So can you tell me what I should do now??

antdude
2008-06-07, 19:39
antdude:

The following entries were added 2008-04-16.
www.baidu.com
baidu.com
bar.baidu.comThanks.

Strange, I still cannot connect to baidu.com in IE6.0 SP2, but it worked fine in SeaMonkey v1.1.9. I checked IE6's restricted sites zone list (empty now) and hosts (kept bars.baidu.com blocked). Did I miss anywhere else?

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-07, 21:03
antdude:

The URLs are also blocked by the SDHelper BHO:

6/7/2008 2:54:50 PM Blocked HTTP://BAR.BAIDU.COM/: BaiduBar (Blacklisted URL)
6/7/2008 2:55:45 PM Blocked HTTP://WWW.BAIDU.COM/: BaiduBar (Blacklisted URL)
6/7/2008 2:55:52 PM Blocked HTTP://BAIDU.COM/: BaiduBar (Blacklisted URL)
To stop "SDHelper" from blocking these URLs, go into Internet Explorer > Tools > select "Spybot – Search Destroy Configuration" > then in the "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" window in the "Settings" tab under "When encountering bad things" there are three options:

Block all pages silently
Display dialog when blocking
Ask for blocking confirmation
Select "Ask for blocking confirmation" and click "OK".

Exit Internet Explorer and restart it.

When you encounter a URL that would ordinarily just be blocked in "Block all pages silently" mode, Spybot's "SDHelper" will issue a "Spybot-S&D Bad URL Blocker" dialog. The dialog allows you to either "Allow" or "Deny" the access and also allows you to select among the following options:
Ask me again next time
Remember for this session
Always react this way
When you encounter a "Spybot-S&D Bad URL Blocker" dialog while accessing one of the baidu sites you want to visit, select "Always react this way" and then "Allow" the access.

antdude
2008-06-07, 21:32
antdude:

The URLs are also blocked by the SDHelper BHO:

6/7/2008 2:54:50 PM Blocked HTTP://BAR.BAIDU.COM/: BaiduBar (Blacklisted URL)
6/7/2008 2:55:45 PM Blocked HTTP://WWW.BAIDU.COM/: BaiduBar (Blacklisted URL)
6/7/2008 2:55:52 PM Blocked HTTP://BAIDU.COM/: BaiduBar (Blacklisted URL)
To stop "SDHelper" from blocking these URLs, go into Internet Explorer > Tools > select "Spybot – Search Destroy Configuration" > then in the "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" window in the "Settings" tab under "When encountering bad things" there are three options:

Block all pages silently
Display dialog when blocking
Ask for blocking confirmation
Select "Ask for blocking confirmation" and click "OK".

Exit Internet Explorer and restart it.

When you encounter a URL that would ordinarily just be blocked in "Block all pages silently" mode, Spybot's "SDHelper" will issue a "Spybot-S&D Bad URL Blocker" dialog. The dialog allows you to either "Allow" or "Deny" the access and also allows you to select among the following options:
Ask me again next time
Remember for this session
Always react this way
When you encounter a "Spybot-S&D Bad URL Blocker" dialog while accessing one of the baidu sites you want to visit, select "Always react this way" and then "Allow" the access.Thanks. I didn't find those options, but I found this that worked: Resident > Resident "SDHelper" (IE bad download blocker) active but that's global and not isolated site/domain.

Can you please kindly provide a screen shot of this option?

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-07, 22:40
antdude:

... but I found this that worked: Resident > Resident "SDHelper" (IE bad download blocker) active but that's global and not isolated site/domain.
If you went into Spybot » Mode » Advanced Mode » Tools » Resident and then unchecked the following option under the heading "Resident protection status", then the SDHelper BHO is no longer active and the suggestion that I made no longer applies because you turned off the SDHelper BHO: Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.

antdude
2008-06-07, 22:50
antdude:

If you went into Spybot » Mode » Advanced Mode » Tools » Resident and then unchecked the following option under the heading "Resident protection status", then the SDHelper BHO is no longer active and the suggestion that I made no longer applies because you turned off the SDHelper BHO: Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.I am aware of that. I still can't find the one you mentioned earlier in your instructions. :( I am using v1.5.2.

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-07, 23:03
... I still can't find the one you mentioned earlier in your instructions. ..
The "one" what?

Go into Spybot » Mode » Advanced Mode » Tools » Resident. Is the following item checked or unchecked?
Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.

antdude
2008-06-07, 23:06
The "one" what?

Go into Spybot » Mode » Advanced Mode » Tools » Resident. Is the following item checked or unchecked?

I can't find this one: "To stop "SDHelper" from blocking these URLs, go into Internet Explorer > Tools > select "Spybot – Search Destroy Configuration" > then in the "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" window in the "Settings" tab under "When encountering bad things" there are three options:

* Block all pages silently
* Display dialog when blocking
* Ask for blocking confirmation"

I do not see it. Yes, it is in advanced mode.

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-07, 23:14
antdude:

Please answer:

... Go into Spybot » Mode » Advanced Mode » Tools » Resident. Is the following item checked or unchecked?

antdude
2008-06-07, 23:16
antdude:

Please answer:Yes, it is active like I said earlier. Please see my 12:32 post.

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-07, 23:57
antdude:

Yes, it is active like I said earlier. ...
Sorry, I did see that you said that the SDHelper BHO was active (and still don't see that - Note below).

If the SDHelper BHO is active, then the "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" option should appear when you you go into Internet Explorer > Tools. If not there is an alternate way of altering the options within the SDHelper BHO. If you are running TeaTimer. Right click on the Teatimer icon in the system tray (system notification) area of the Taskbar, select "Resident IE", then choose "Ask for blocking confirmation".

______

... Please see my 12:32 post.
Note: You must relize that your 12:32 post is not my 12:32 post depending on the forum time zone that you and I selected for the forum.

antdude
2008-06-08, 00:08
antdude:

Sorry, I did see that you said that the SDHelper BHO was active (and still don't see that - Note below).

If the SDHelper BHO is active, then the "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" option should appear when you you go into Internet Explorer > Tools. If not there is an alternate way of altering the options within the SDHelper BHO. If you are running TeaTimer. Right click on the Teatimer icon in the system tray (system notification) area of the Taskbar, select "Resident IE", then choose "Ask for blocking confirmation".

______

Note: You must relize that your 12:32 post is not my 12:32 post depending on the forum time zone that you and I selected for the forum.My bad. I forgot to mention the time zone (PDT).

No, I am not running TeaTimer.

I just realized something. I can't do it without launching IE and accessing SpyBot's configutration. I thought I could do it through Spybot program by itself not via IE! Got it now. Hmm, does this feature exist in other Web browsers like SeaMonkey and Firefox?

Thanks and sorry about the long thread! :)

antdude
2008-06-08, 00:37
My bad. I forgot to mention the time zone (PDT).

No, I am not running TeaTimer.

I just realized something. I can't do it without launching IE and accessing SpyBot's configutration. I thought I could do it through Spybot program by itself not via IE! Got it now. Hmm, does this feature exist in other Web browsers like SeaMonkey and Firefox?

Thanks and sorry about the long thread! :)Also, is Baidu.com still sending toolbar without user's permission? Others and I can't seem to reproduce it.

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-08, 14:50
antdude:

... Hmm, does this feature exist in other Web browsers like SeaMonkey and Firefox? ...
No. SDHelper is a BHO (Browser Helper Object) and only works with Interent explorer. There is not equivalent plug-in for Mozilla browsers.

antdude
2008-06-08, 17:53
antdude:

No. SDHelper is a BHO (Browser Helper Object) and only works with Interent explorer. There is not equivalent plug-in for Mozilla browsers.Ah. It would be nice to see a Mozilla version (extension?). Nice feature to allow/deny/block automatically on bad sites. ;)

Yodama
2008-06-11, 10:27
hello,

due to recent changes on baidu we will not block its site with the next update anymore.

antdude
2008-06-11, 14:47
hello,

due to recent changes on baidu we will not block its site with the next update anymore.Thank you, and I see it removed with today's updates! :)

syang
2008-06-26, 21:05
I've had this problem for quite a while, I wouldn't even think of that was caused by S&D... But fortunately when I search this forum I got this, and confirmed that it's fixed after I updated S&D today.

Thx for the post. Thx to the team.