PDA

View Full Version : Vista - TT in sleeping mode / SB does not start

lion1860
2008-06-07, 13:18
I have always been using Spybot on all my computers - but now I have an issue with Vista.
I am logged in as admin.
I start installation as admin (right click) - everything runs fine.
Spybot updates, I start the program, activate Tea Timer and immunize the system.
After restarting the system, Tea Timer is not visible in the task bar and is reported to be in sleeping mode. I cannot wake it up - Windows Defender is active. Further I cannot re-start Spybot!

Do I have to turn off Windows Defender? How?

Any support appreciated. Thanks!

Zenobia
2008-06-07, 20:38
You could review Windows Defender's actions,and see if anything that seems related to Spybot is there.I'm not real sure where those are exactly,but I think you can see stuff related to real-time protection if you open Windows Defender,then click History,maybe.

lion1860
2008-06-08, 17:55
I checked in WindowsDefender's History --> there are no entries (especially not about Spybot).
I still suffer from the same issue...:sad:

SB still does not start (even as admin...) and Tea Timer is not in the task bar...

Any other hints or ideas?

Zenobia
2008-06-09, 02:23
You could try booting into safe mode,and try starting Spybot.
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm#03
If Spybot does start in safe mode,please let me know.

Have you been having any other problems with your computer?

lion1860
2008-06-09, 17:44
In safe mode I can start Spybot without any problems.

Computer is a new laptop - I have it since exactly one week, i.e. no problems since.

Zenobia
2008-06-09, 19:44
Ok,try temporarily disabling Windows Defender's real-time protection,then try starting Spybot,and see what happens.
Open Windows Defender,then click Tools,then Options.Scroll down,if need be,to Real-Time Protection Options.Remove the checkmark next to "Use Real-Time Protection (Recommended)",then click Save.Allow any UAC prompts you get.
Please let me know if Spybot will run with real-time protection off.
Make sure you recheck the "Use Real-Time Protection (Recommended)" box in Windows Defender when you're done checking if Spybot will start.

What other security programs do you have on your computer,like your antivirus,etc?Do you have any other antispyware programs besides Windows Defender and Spybot?

lion1860
2008-06-09, 22:32
1.) I am using Avira and ZoneAlarm.
After deinstalling ZoneAlarm and reinstalling it with Spybot already installed the problem with starting Spybot is gone.

2.) I have been completely switching off Windows Defender.

BUT: Tea Timer is still in sleeping mode, although Windows Defender is shown as deactivated.

What is the reason for this?

Zenobia
2008-06-10, 00:01
I don't know.Does it say sleep mode,or snoozing?
Is Teatimer checkmarked under Resident?To check,open Spybot,click Mode->Advanced Mode->Tools,then Resident.

Zenobia
2008-06-10, 00:19
Oops,forgot,rightclick and run as admin first.

lion1860
2008-06-10, 20:02
I again deinstalled Spybot and ZoneAlarm.
After reinstalling Spybot and starting TeaTimer - I installed again ZoneAlarm (with TeaTimer running).

Now Teatimer starts even after re-boot. --> It works now!!!

:laugh::eek::laugh:

Thank you very much for your support - I hope that this thread is usefull for other users, too!

Zenobia
2008-06-11, 02:00
Glad you got Teatimer working. :)