PDA

View Full Version : Spybot crashes on start up

objectivebrianc
2008-06-09, 02:53
Whenever I start Spybot S&D I get a crash report than cannot scan nor update it. Been unable to use it for weeks. I use Windows XP, an upgrade from Windows ME. I think I am using Sptbot S&D 1.5. I also uninstalled it, than reinstalled it. Than I get the same problem.

Other antispyware programs work, and I removed one coolwebsearch item and thought that would solve the problem, but it didn't.

Regards

BrianC

spybotsandra
2008-06-09, 14:53
Hello,

Which error message do you get exactly?

Please make sure that you are running the latest version of Spybot - Search & Destroy including the latest updates.

To see which version number and/or updates of Spybot - Search & Destroy you are using please run Spybot-S&D and choose "Help" --> "About" in the menu bar.
There you can see which version you have and which updates are installed.
It should be version 1.5.2 and the updates from the 2008/06/04.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

objectivebrianc
2008-06-09, 22:31
Error said

Spybot - Search & Destroy has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on has been lost. Please tell Microsoft about this problem. We have created an error report that you can send to us. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.

Spybot never opens so I cannot follow instruction you showed, nor can I update it, but I right clicked Spybot than pressed properties and it appears to be the version you says is up to date. 1.5.2.0

I have picture of some of the other information of the errors, but I don't know how to upload it here.

I could copy and paste the file from 2bea_appcompat.txt if that would help.

2008-06-10, 06:16
completely removing spybot, restart, and then download a fresh copy from the home site of spybot:

http://www.spybot.info/en/home/index.html

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-10, 06:25
objectivebrianc:

... but I right clicked Spybot than pressed properties and it appears to be the version you says is up to date. 1.5.2.0 ...
If you are looking at the properties of SpybotSD.exe, the current production version is 1.5.2.20.

Follow 129260 (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=28569)'s advice to download and reinstall.

objectivebrianc
2008-06-13, 02:51
completely removing spybot, restart, and then download a fresh copy from the home site of spybot:

Took care of that and the problem remains.

drragostea
2008-06-13, 03:12
I took a look at the thread title... and I was thinking, can you boot Spybot in SAFE MODE?

Also, there is only one entry for Spybot-SD in your ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS window correct?

Do you have enough RAM (memory) to run Windows XP? The minimum and recommended is 512MB. The required RAM to run a Windows ME would be lower in standards.

So when did this problem start exactly? Did it start on your post (June 8, 2008)?

Also, you mentioned some anti-spyware programs in your first post. Care to give some examples?

objectivebrianc
2008-06-13, 06:27
I took a look at the thread title... and I was thinking, can you boot Spybot in SAFE MODE?

No same error message is received

Also, there is only one entry for Spybot-SD in your ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS window correct?

Yes only one entry

Do you have enough RAM (memory) to run Windows XP? The minimum and recommended is 512MB. The required RAM to run a Windows ME would be lower in standards.

oops! That is wrong Checking System Information I find 384 MB total physical memory, with 70.83 MB of available physical memory. Do you suppose the 2.0 GB of virtual memory would matter? That makes me wonder if Spybot isn't for me until I upgrade the memory.

So when did this problem start exactly? Did it start on your post (June 8, 2008)?

Don't remember the exact day the problem started.

Also, you mentioned some anti-spyware programs in your first post. Care to give some examples?

I was going to call this irrelevant, but since being here will confirm whether the other antispywares are legit or rouge, here is the list

SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

asquare free

Windows Defender

Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

cwshredder

RootkitRevealer

In the past I had TheCleaner from Moosoft. I uninstalled it because it kept crashing when I tried to use it, I also had Bazooka, and AdAware

drragostea
2008-06-13, 07:06
The average user wouldn't use MalwareByte's Anti-Malware unless it's a infected machine. Same goes for SAS. Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner is badly outdated. CWShredder would be used to remove CoolWWWSearch if I'm correct.

What I'm thinking was that... there were issues in the past that Lavasoft's AdAware was conflicting with Spybot-SD. It had something to do with AdAware detecting entries within Spybot's folders.

My solution is this:
~Remove Spybot-SD and AdAware from your computer. This means both.
Also, what version is your current AdAware. Is it the Free version or a paid suscription?

After removing both, download CCleaner and run it.

The direct link would be:
http://www.ccleaner.com/download/downloading

Now follow instructions carefully.
-Run the CCleaner (first tab) with the default boxes checked. I wouldn't suggest touching the Advanced Settings.

After that... run the registry cleaner. There will be detected entries related to both Spybot and AdAware. Re-run the test as there will be remaining issues. 3-4 times should clear it, thus it will find no more entries.
-------

Lastly, to learn about your System Information, go to CONTROL PANEL in Windows XP.

Find Performance and Maintenance" and click on SYSTEM.

What is the Service Pack and the amount of RAM on your present computer?

objectivebrianc
2008-06-17, 07:29
Here are the steps I took;
I uninstalled Spybot, and ran ccleaner than rebooted to safe mode and ran ccleaner again, I ran it again to verify that the results would be clean. adaware has previously been uninstalled, it was the free version, but I don't know what the version was.

Microsoft XP Home Edition 2002 Service Pack 3

and the amount of RAM on the present computer is 384 MB, processor 797 MHz, but in front of the computer it says 800 HMz so I get to wondering about the deficit in the processor, but that might be a different subject.

All in all I have both Adaware and SpyBot off. Now I wonder what to do next.

Thank you

drragostea
2008-06-17, 22:20
Your OS seems to be doing fine. 384MB of RAM should be adequate for Spybot-SD to run... so RAM shouldn't be a problem.

Is AdAware a paid subscription?

Alright. Download a fresh copy of Spybot-SD. Then attempt to install it and run it.

I'm seeing if reinstalling might help since AdAware is off.

I would suggest removing BAZOOKA, because it's database is badly outdated.

In your post on June 13, you asked about whether the programs are rouge or legit. Well, all of them are legit, so there's nothing to worry about.

objectivebrianc
2008-06-18, 05:15
Is AdAware a paid subscription? No, free

Also Bazooka is gone a long time ago while I still was using Windows ME, if I remember correctly it was because I was frustrated that I couldn't update it, also I just deleted the folder in program files, but I don't know how to remove it from the registry.

I downloaded and installed a fresh copy of Spybot-SD and I still get the same problem.

Terminator
2008-06-18, 16:51
To remove the registry enteries use a registry cleaner like ATF Cleaner or CCleaner, I can personaly recommend CCleaner:bigthumb:.

drragostea
2008-06-18, 21:55
After removing both, download CCleaner and run it.

The direct link would be:
http://www.ccleaner.com/download/downloading

Now follow instructions carefully.
-Run the CCleaner (first tab) with the default boxes checked. I wouldn't suggest touching the Advanced Settings.

After that... run the registry cleaner. There will be detected entries related to both Spybot and AdAware. Re-run the test as there will be remaining issues. 3-4 times should clear it, thus it will find no more entries.
-------

ATF Cleaner acts just like CCleaner... but just without the registry cleaner. The user has also used the registry function, Terminator.

Just a quick note, brian, you can uninstall Bazooka manually without having to go through the trouble of finding it and deleting it.

I'm not sure now... Brian is there any chance you have v.1.4 on your computer? I was thinking about installing 1.4 and upgrade from there. Problem is if you can actually execute Spybot itself.

Can you try booting in SAFE MODE and execute Spybot 1.5.2.20 from there? If you can't download v.1.4.

http://filehippo.com/download_spybot_search_destroy/148/

objectivebrianc
2008-06-21, 01:16
I downloaded Spybot SD 1.4, and I still can't open that, I also checked it in the safe mode and can't open it there.

I was thinking since I was suppose to undo the immunizations before uninstalling the product, I was wondering if problems happened, because I failed to do that, after all you can't undo the immunizations if you can't open Spybot.

drragostea
2008-06-21, 01:51
Hm. I don't think the problem would be undoing the immunization. It would be optional.

This might be a obstacle. I recall in another thread that the user could not open Spybot... however SAFE MODE did it. But the user rebooted in normal mode, and Spybot still persisted.

Zenobia, was stumped too... problem was that "what" was causing Spybot not to open. Um...

Hrm. Mentioned by Terminator in another thread... I'm thinking...

Brian, why don't you first uninstall Spybot-SD. I'm assuming you have only one entry. So remove that first.

Do you still have the spybotsd152.exe" executable? If so, save it.

For now, after removing Spybot-SD... use the SEARCH function and search ALL FILES AND FOLDERS. Type in Spybot. After searching there should be some dozen of Spybot entries... more like Spybot files. Drag all of them to the RECYCLE BIN and empty it.

Attempt to install Spybot.

So if this story is correct... You install Spybot successfully... but you cannot execute it?

2008-06-21, 02:33
Make sure after emptying the registry of spybot and the files of spybot, or using the complete removal tool of spybot, that you restart your computer.
I know a lot of users who sometimes forget that, I know you probably didn't, but just make sure you restart again after trying the suggestions.

objectivebrianc
2008-06-26, 22:23
What do I do to empty the registry of spybot? If I used ccleaner I was wondering if that would be sufficient.

I did all the suggested procedures, I uninstalled it through the control panel Add/Remove, I used ccleaner, I typed "spybot" without the quotes and emptied it, with the exception of text, and html files I made myself. I emptied the recycle bin in all the user accounts, than rebooted.

Spybot is still having the problems I described.

You asked "So if this story is correct... You install Spybot successfully... but you cannot execute it?" Answer being yes, that states it exactly.

Questions I have are what is the complete removal tool of spybot? I may want to try that next, although I uninstalled Adaware, I do not know if there is fragments of AdWatch still present, I will also state the AdAware was free, and is there possible possible malware behavior causing the SpyBot problem?

I will also state again that other anti spyware programs work, and Adaware is still off my computer until the Spybot problem is soved.

ME_2&
2008-06-27, 00:43
.. and in no way 'official' </disclaimer>. Hi Bri', being lately from ME to XP (world of difference, yes?), you may run into many things done differently. However ..

1) The 'Full Monty' SSD uninstall is best described at:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=182370&postcount=2

2) If you are sufficiently careful, Registry editing is not all that hard .. and indeed is one of the preferred methods of cleaning up a 'dirty uninstall' - often simply deleting things may lead to problems, almost always best to use the dedicated uninstaller in CP±Programs (or on the Startmenu/..) as that cleans up the less visible traces of an app. A nice editor is offered at the following:
http://www.spybot.info/en/regalyzer/index.html
The absolute do-not-forget is to back up before making any changes while directly editing the Registry. Save backup keys, etc in a folder with an explanatory note to yourself and archive it in external storage for safety JustinCase (I believe RegAlyz has an 'undo' function if that appeals to you) .. for casual reading, open .reg files in NotePad as they are live files, lol - get a Dummies book on Registry editing if you like (where I started when all those curly bracket thingies seemed to get in my way all the time, :oops: ). That said, you can use the 'Find' to uncover remnants of 'dirty uninstalls'/deletes. RESPECT but do not fear the Registry .. and always use the dedicated uninstaller ;)

3) Sometimes a simple method to get a fairly clean uninstall is to (re)install the app that was merely "deleted", (don't even run it) and then use the dedicated uninstaller (usually cleans up better) and REboot afterwards (not always necessary, but it's a habit - sometimes a shutdown/BOOT is even better). Apps that use profiles may leave remnants (especially with version upgrades, many times it is a good thing .. but sometimes ...).

Hope this may help a bit `til real help gets back to ya

objectivebrianc
2008-06-28, 04:13
I took all the steps you suggested, but I think I am ready to clean the registry of Spybot. When I downloaded the fix, instead of getting the fix I get some text. I was wondering if there is something I should do with the text that I received. Also, if I used cclenaner would adjusting the registry be neccessary?

drragostea
2008-06-28, 04:52
Ah! Brian... exactly!

Alright... I'm assuming that AdAware and Spybot is off... correct?

Open the fix... it will be in some text.

Save it directly to the DESKTOP. Right-click and MERGE.

That should do the trick.

Zenobia
2008-06-28, 05:41
Or,if you are using Firefox,you could just rightclick the this very small fix link,and select Save link As...and save it to your desktop.Then merge it.

If using Internet Explorer,you could rightclick and select Save Target As...and then save it to the desktop,and then merge it.

drragostea
2008-06-28, 06:19
Or,if you are using Firefox,you could just rightclick the this very small fix link,and select Save link As...and save it to your desktop.Then merge it.

If using Internet Explorer,you could rightclick and select Save Target As...and then save it to the desktop,and then merge it.

:laugh: Did you see me there? Or was the super-speedy keyboard hiding it?

Zenobia
2008-06-28, 06:25
Lol,no,saw you this time.My super speedy keyboard slowed down tonight. :D:

ME_2&
2008-06-28, 21:21
I took all the steps you suggested, but I think I am ready to clean the registry of Spybot. When I downloaded the fix, instead of getting the fix I get some text. I was wondering if there is something I should do with the text that I received. Also, if I used cclenaner would adjusting the registry be neccessary?

Yep, text is the 'safe' way to display a .reg file in a browser. As pointed out, rightclick the link and "Save target as...", when the dialog box comes up make sure the extension is .reg or that the file is being saved as a Registration Entry. You'll know it's a .reg file if it looks more-or-less like this http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/521/examplefc9.png on your desktop. Rightclick that file on your desktop and Merge and it cleans the Registry of all the items you saw in the text-view here at http://www.safer-networking.org/files/remove-spybotsd-settings.reg (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/remove-spybotsd-settings.reg). CCleaner may or may not clean up all things SSD as thoroughly as the 'Full Monty' and that remove-spybotsd-settings.reg as a finale (be sure to delete that .reg after you're done or keep it elsewhere archived - it can do some serious damage to a re-install of SSD if you accidentally activate it ;) . GL&HF

drragostea
2008-06-29, 04:09
Lol,no,saw you this time.My super speedy keyboard slowed down tonight. :D:

Wow, I saw Logitech's "Advanced Technology" keyboards and I was like: O.O.

The keys were like Apple thin and it enabled mouse movement and volume control. While I'm here at home, I'm stuck with that "box" monitor. However, it's pretty good (a Sony Trinitron Multiscan G200 17").

Odd how LCD monitors get really "sharp" and bad looking at 1280*1024 resolution.

objectivebrianc
2008-07-12, 02:31
After using the fix, a pop up description seems to have shown that as opposed to removing the entries in the registry, it has added them. After installing Spybot after the fix, the problem I described at the beginning of the thread still occurred, meaning nothing has changed.

It has me wondering if I should have taken additional steps before installing.

Any way Spybot SD 1.6 seems to have come out of beta, but I don't think I am ready to assume the problems I am dealing with has been resolved, in this new upgrade. So I continue to wonder what to do next.

2008-07-12, 05:04
do you have problems with any other programs running? Such as having problems running programs, updating, etc.?

Zenobia
2008-07-12, 05:37
After using the fix, a pop up description seems to have shown that as opposed to removing the entries in the registry, it has added them.

No,the Spybot entries would have been removed from the registry,not added.

The popup was letting you know that the data from the .reg file(this very small fix) was merged/added to the registry.

But the "very small fix" uses minus signs,which removes the Spybot registry entries,which you can see when you look at the text of the Spybot .reg file.

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\PepiMK Software\SpyBotSnD]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PepiMK Software\SpyBotSnD]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\SpybotSD.exe]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SpyBotSnD]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Spybot - Search & Destroy_is1]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F}]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F}]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"SpybotSD TeaTimer"=-

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.disabled]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sbb]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sbe]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sbi]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sbs]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tnfo]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.uti]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.uts]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.DisabledFile]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.SBBFile]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.SBEFile]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.SBIFile]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.SBSFile]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.TInfoFile]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.UTIFile]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.UTSFile]

Better explained here in the .reg file section,perhaps:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Registry#.REG_files

Now,sorry for interrupting,129260. :)

2008-07-12, 05:46
haha. You know more then me you keep going!!

I watch and learn, and ask questions haha. :bigthumb:

Zenobia
2008-07-12, 05:51
Actually,on this one,I don't have the foggiest idea on what might be causing the crashes and error messages.
But,if they answer your questions,it might give something to go on,so keep up the good work. :)

2008-07-12, 05:54
That means alot. :) I am wondering if he needs to repair windows or something if he is having problems with other programs....

2008-07-12, 06:12
If that is the case that he is not only having problems with spybot, but with other programs or other stuff, I had heard before about a threat that would block access to all your programs and cause the pc to be rly messed up. I forgot what the threat was called, i think it was a virus though, not spyware.

His case is really weird though..........safe mode doesn't help, reinstalling and uninstalling does not help.....

hmm i got another question!! haha.

I wonder,

1.) do you have problems installing other programs?

2.) problems saving settings in windows?

3.) do you have low disk space?

4.) Any major software/hardware changes?

2008-07-12, 06:27

I know you did that already, using the fix with merge, but try Internet explorer.
Use Internet explorer to download the fix again. choose run when you are asked to download.

Also: remove all data in these places:

* Windows NT, 2000 or XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\

*C:/program files/spybot search and destroy.

(Please note that the Application Data Folder is hidden. So if you cannot find this folder please check your folder properties. For an instruction, please click here (http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html). Make sure that after you delete these entries, recheck these options!)

Try installing the latest version 1.6 after that! Let me know how it goes. And i know i asked alot of questions above, if you can still answer those i will appreciate it. Sorry for all the posts!!

objectivebrianc
2008-07-12, 08:33
I had heard before about a threat that would block access to all your programs

and cause the pc to be really messed up. I forgot what the threat was called, i think

it was a virus though, not spy ware.

(This statement got me scanning my computer again, but I had two detections in the past

that made me wonder if they are false positives, or if some thing fishy is going on

with two programs I thought were legit, one file is sbautoupdate.exe, belonging to

SpywareBlaster, and the other a2antidialer.exe the files are still in quarantine)

1.) do you have problems installing other programs?

( here goes, I have had problems with other programs, But I will start with the one I just

got done dealing with, I lost the internet for a few days, You will notice I took too

long to get back to you. Some of the other examples are couldn't update AdAware,

Zone Alarm wouldn't open,The cleaner from MooSoft crashed on start up just to name a few.)

2.) problems saving settings in windows?

(In Internet Explorer When going to Internet Options I check the Security tab, and the

setting is mysteriously changed to a custom setting, than I have to change it back to

default from time to time.)

3.) do you have low disk space?

(I have 29.6 GB of free space if that is what you mean)

4.) Any major software/hardware changes?

(Don't remember)

Unrelated to other questions when I press alt ctrl del, CPU is around 80%

Now I will go on with your recent directions in message #34.

2008-07-12, 22:16
Thanks for answering those questions, that will help alot. It sounds to me like you might have a very bad case of spyware and malware in your machine....as with your cpu usage and that setting that wont stay saved in Internet explorer. I am glad you have plenty of hard drive space. What i was thinking with the hard drive space question was maybe windows did not have enough space to run programs, install/uninstall, etc. But apparently that is not the case. And since you are having problems installing other programs, running other programs, and the whole computer is generally not functioning correctly, I am wondering if you should post in the malware removal forums...........

but let's see if you can get spybot completely removed and reinstalled with the latest version. Also, I do want to break any rules in the forum by suggesting other software, but i am wondering if you can install avast and do a full boot scan. That would clear up some nasty infections if you have any. Or use your current antiviruis and do a boot scan, there should be an option in your antivirus program to do that.

I am also thinking a repair of windows (which will let you keep your programs installed and your data intact) would do the trick if you are infected.....or an complete format and start all over again method would actually be the best assurance you are clean.

In my humble opinion, it sounds to me you are badly infected......I hate to say this, but i think it is true. If you would like a experienced helper to take a look at your system, here are the links for the future if you cant get spybot or any of your programs running/working correctly again:

You may need to visit the malware removal forums.......

Read this first: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Malware removal forums: http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

wyrmrider
2008-07-13, 00:51
Great Advice 129260
many users do not realize that a full boot scan and/or a safe mode scan will find things that the on line scans from Kasperky, Bit Defender etc will not
AND VICE VERSA
I recommend both

OP
quarantine or send to vault/ chest/ whatever do not delete hits
google hits FYI
if you have time before helper responds run any hits past "virus total"
get that HJT posted
good luck

oh
and do not respond to your own HJT post till a helper contacts you or they will think you are already being helped :)

objectivebrianc
2008-07-13, 02:20
i am wondering if you can install avast and do a full boot scan

[I am already using avast, so the next step shouldn't take too long, except I don't know what doing a full boot scan is.]

In my humble opinion, it sounds to me you are badly infected

[That's what I was wondering, though I come clean after the scans most of the time. From the things I described, I was wondering if there are hidden infections, or if I was under some kind of attack ]

Also while at breakfast I was reflecting that when I upgrade to Firefox 3, I get several pop up messages that redirection attempts were blocked, or Firefox blocked attempt to reload page. So those are some more of my stories, and there must be more strange, strange, strange stories that I forgot about.

Most of all, I think I fully removed Spybot, ran the fix like told in message #34 rebooted, than shut the computer down to call it the night. It is the next day and I have yet to install Spybot 1.6, I checked program files, and documents and settings, and don't find the Spybot folders there. So I wonder if more needs to be done.

Should Spybot fail to work having done all I will go to the malware removal section, like you recommended.

P.S. wyrmrider welcome to the thread, from what you pointed out it sounds like a scan will almost need be done from all angles to get those things that tend to hide

2008-07-13, 02:59
you will do what i suggested. I am happy you have avast, it is a great program. As for the avast boot scan, this is what you do. First you need to update avast! right click avast icon next to the clock, choose update-program update. If you are unable to download newer updates that way, visit www.avast.com and under latest update avast 4 (found on the top left side) download the detection update that way. Click run or save when the download starts. If your computer won't do that, download it from another computer and transfer it over by travel drive (usb thumb drive) or cd.

You will need the simple interface in order to do this. (Because i do not know how to do it with the default skin, i do not have it haha.)

If you do not have any avast skins installed, then ignore the following:

1.)Go to add/remove programs.

2.)Click change/remove on avast.

3.)Click change, and uncheck skins from the installation. click next and it will get rid of the skins.

4.)Restart the computer, then right click the avast "A" icon next to the clock and click start avast antiviruis. After the first window disappears, (the one that scans memory and all that), a newer simpler window will appear. Click tools-schedule boot time scan. Select the options you want and click schedule. The default is you can just click schedule.

Now what this will do is restart the computer, windows will load, but it wont completely load, and a blue screen will appear. Avast will scan all your hard drives, and if it finds anything, you want to delete it. It will give you options if it finds something with numbers next to the option. Choose the number that is next to the word delete. Delete everything you find!!

DELETE not recover or send to chest. Delete! If avast is unable to delete, then choose another option but only if avast is unable to delete the threat.

Also when windows loads,
Spybot should be gone now because of what you did earlier. Try installing the latest version. If you are able to install the latest version of spybot, and it works fine, run a scan in safe mode as soon as you can. Let us know if you are still unable to install/run spybot. If you are unable to install/run spybot, even with all the steps done above, reply in this thread and let us know everything that happened. Including if threats were found and could not be removed. Then go to the malware forums. :)

By the way, thanks wyrmrider!! I do my best! :bigthumb:

objectivebrianc
2008-07-13, 08:33
Thanks for the instructions on the boot scan, it worked good. Did boot scan with clean results. That means no threats were found, nor needed to be removed. Spybot installed OK, but like before it wouldn't open.
:sad:

As for the CPU it was at the high usage, because I was scanning with Avast at the time it showed, another time the CPU rating was high was When I was using Secunia PSI. Every time I am doing nothing CPU usage is low, but spikes when I open a program or Windows Explorer, make changes, or press a link in Firefox, after a new page is fully loaded, the CPU usage drops low [between 2 to 15%]. Perhaps this is normal, or a way I'm learning how windows works.

Between now and the last time I posted, I reflected on the time I had AVG installed, and ran a scan, multiple items were detected, that made me believe they were false positives, or I might have downloaded a rouge in disguise. I forgot exactly what happened, but I was not able to get the log of the scan. So I assumed that I couldn't understand AVG, so I wound up uninstalling it, and installed Avast again.

2008-07-14, 01:13
Well then, i suggest using the malware removal forums. I am really sorry we were unable to resolve this matter. When you post in the malware removal forums, let them know of this thread so they can see in better detail what was going on. Thanks for your response, and let them guide you to a clean system. You might have to erase everything and restart all over again as i said before, that would be the best option. :bigthumb: Good luck man!!

wyrmrider
2008-07-14, 01:43
Hello There
Was a previous installation of AVG resolved?
run the AVG removal tool
you may have to go through the remove avast, reboot reinstall avast drill afterwards
OLD AVG installations do not play well with AVAST
(old Norton, Panda Mcaffe etc same problem- were any of these pre installed ?)
If a helper is helping you alert them to the previous AVG installation before doing the above
Thanks

objectivebrianc
2008-07-16, 21:48
129260 Thanks for trying, we really worked hard on it, but I also surfaced what is also happening.

First of all I found a strange entry in hijack this and it shows a service by this name

O23 - Service: KXBXSWDLFL - Unknown owner - C:\DOCUME~1\Traveler\LOCALS~1\Temp\KXBXSWDLFL.exe (file missing)

As a personal policy I took no action, as I am probably suppose to wait for a helper to instruct me, any way, I googled it, and no results were found than I googled the first five letters, there was some strange characters, as well as foreign language. I wonder if any one knows what this is.

Another thing is Spywareblaster is being tampered with so that I am losing protection from certain items;

Certain variants of;

AntiSpyware 2008

Rouge/FakeAlert

Wista Antivirus

XP Antivirus

Zlob

The message to the malware forum is being composed at this time, and when complete, I will link you to it in case you want to follow the case.

wyrmrider, as far as the AVG, it has uninstalled, OK as far as I know. I used ccleaner to get what might have been left behind. I never had problems with Avast. I'll keep these things in mind though.

Thanks to:

spybotsandra

md usa spybot fan

drragostea

Terminator

ME_2&

Zenobia - oh btw maybe you could send one of those speedy keyboards to me if you have an extra one to spare.

2008-07-16, 21:54
Thank you for being so patient on this matter! And yes, if you could post a link to your malware forum, i would gladly follow the case. :cool: As well with that hijack entry, that does look suspicious, but like you said, i would wait and not do anything until you get a reply. Also, make sure you do not reply to your own malware thread to "bump" it up. because if you reply to your own thread, helpers there will think you are already being helped. So make sure not to do that. :)

Zenobia
2008-07-16, 22:37
Zenobia - oh btw maybe you could send one of those speedy keyboards to me if you have an extra one to spare.

Sure,I'll see what I can do. :D:

Good luck in malware removal. :)

wyrmrider
2008-07-16, 23:19
my bad
AVG does not have a specific removal tool
but they do recommend that you download the latest version of their installer and have a FAQ on the subject

good luck

objectivebrianc
2008-07-17, 00:26
The post is found here (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=213333#post213333)

If you're not one of the helpers, please resist the urge to answer me there.

Thank you

One person who belongs on the thank you list is wyrmrider, I move too fast some times, or that speedy keyboard must have been sent before I saw it...

:oops:

drragostea
2008-07-17, 01:31
Hey, I want one of those speedy keyboards! :laugh:

@objectivebrianc, although you could have posted a Hijack log with it... :P However, do not post again, as it is 'bumping', so Malware fighters are assuming you are being assisted.

Also, about the entry in '023'... it looks like it was randomly generated. Google showed nothing. However, I'm not sure if it may regenerate itself if you 'empty' the Temp. folder.

Like wyrmrider said, if you are using AVG, there is no removal tool for it (not that I'm aware about). The best way is to remove it from the programs window (via Control Panel) and delete the Application folder. It's usually located in the 'Program Files'.

wyrmrider
2008-07-17, 02:16
Thanks and good luck
most of us can't post in that forum- and should not

Drag
AVG wants you to download the latest installer and use it for removal
see the FAQ
I then ran Antivir's registry cleaner and found a few more items in addition to some 5 year old NAV fragments
then installed AVAST

the latest HJT is 2.02 not 2.0.0.2 better get a new one

wyrmrider
2008-07-17, 05:54
patience objective
do not post a reply in the removal forum till helped- but you already know that
download a new version of hjt while you wait
you could update spywareblaster
run an av scan
etc
once a helper arrives do NO other removal activity without instructions
turn off any automatic scanners - for instence

objectivebrianc
2008-07-18, 01:23
it is here (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=213762#post213762)

As most of you will remember, reading it is fine, but do not reply in there.

Thank you.

objectivebrianc
2008-07-18, 01:25
I goofed I didn't put the hijackthis log log in, maybe I should wait until they get back.

2008-07-18, 02:28
editing your post. And ya i will keep looking and staying with you through the malware forum thread you have. good luck!

tashi
2008-07-18, 03:29
Hello,

it is here (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=213762#post213762)

As most of you will remember, reading it is fine, but do not reply in there.

Thank you.

No one but the groups listed in this topic, "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288) have the permissions to be able to post to a topic in the Malware forum. In other words members cannot post in other members malware forum topics. ;)

I goofed I didn't put the hijackthis log log in, maybe I should wait until they get back.

Please see: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=213793#post213793

editing your post. And ya i will keep looking and staying with you through the malware forum thread you have. good luck!

Can I edit my own posts?

In the Spybot-S&D forum, there is a 15 minute time frame to edit one's post.
In the Malware Removal Forum, members may not edit their posts. A helper may already be analysing the information given. However one can add a post to the thread if necessary.

Best regards.