PDA

View Full Version : Windows Explorer closes down after visiting My Computer - is Spybot to blame?

misterjohn
2008-06-12, 16:51
I am running Windows Vista Premium on a Toshiba Equium L40 [Dual Core Pentium, 2GB RAM]. I have AVG Anti-Virus.

After I navigate to My Computer and then navigate back [to Desktop, say], Windows Explorer closes down and then restarts.

When I open Vista's Troubleshooting file 'Problem Reports and Solutions', I am told that there is a problem [unspecified] caused by Spybot Search and Destroy - and I am referred to this website.

The [unspecified] problem does not say that Spybot is causing Windows Explorer to crash.

I am here simply to eliminate the possibility that Spybot is causing the error.

As part of the elimination process, I have uninstalled Nero and Ad-aware [Lavasoft].

Any thoughts, gentlemen?

[Uninstalling Spybot looks a little more difficult than I imagined]

drragostea
2008-06-12, 22:47
There is a simple way of uninstalling Spybot... but I think I will consider looking into this problem.

Have you upgraded to Vista SP1?

How does Windows Explorer shut down? Obviously it can't restart itself, unless you meant it shuts down.

Also, can you give the word for word description from the "Problem Reports and Solutions". I don't see how this problem can be related to Spybot-SD.
What version are you using? (HELP>ABOUT)

Does Windows Explorer only shutdown after viewing "My Computer"?
Can you try any other windows such as "Search" or "My Documents"?

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-13, 00:03
misterjohn:

There are two resident functions within Spybot, "SDHelper" and "TeaTimer". To eliminate them as causes of the problem, go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident. Under the heading "Resident protection status" you will see: Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active.
Uncheck both of those options, exit Spybot and reboot the system.

If the problem reoccurs it is not being cause by Spybot's resident programs.