PDA

View Full Version : Hangs on "bot-check"

who101
2008-06-13, 15:17
Hi Group,

Did and update last night, 6/12/2008, then ran a Search and Destoy. The computer hung on "running bot-check (61,125/161,049):Clickspring Outerinfo)"

Ran the check twice.

Could not get Task Manager to come up on first scan. Had to do manual shut down.

Second run, allowed Task Manager, but would not shut down nor would the "X" respond. Went to 100% CPU usage, but finally shut down.

Assume that I just need to reinstall, but thought I would pass this on in case others are experiencing the same thing.

drragostea
2008-06-13, 23:22
Can you get TaskManager to start-up (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) after the scan?

Can you see which process(s) are taking up 100% CPU?

What is your OS?
What version is your Spybot (HELP>ABOUT)?

who101
2008-06-15, 23:18
Hi Again,

I have uninstalled and reinstalled two times, and on the second try I removed the directory and files completely after the uninstall.

It did not allow me to get updates immediately, could not resolve www.safer-networking.org, but I did an update after the installation, which appeared to work fine. Immunization appeard to work fine also, with 36,630 showing in the immunization.

Started the "search and Destoy", again it hangs on "Running bot-check (61125/158358 Clickspring Outerinfo)."

Help indicates "Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2.20", version.
Latest detection update: 6/11/2008.

Task Manager CPU Usage: 100%. SpybotSD.exe uses from 50 to 99%.
Task Manager from 1 to 3%.
csrss.exe uses 1 to 3%.
onictask.exe fluctates from 0 to 50% of usage.

I run Windows XP, Home Edition, version 2002, Service Pack 3 on HP Pavilion, Intel(R), Pentium(R) 4, CPU 2.53GHz, 512 MB of Ram.

I also use ZoneAlarm Pro v 7, Norton Anti-Virus 15.5.0.23.

Thank you for your time and efforts.

(I replied to an e mail, but maybe this is more appropriate?)

drragostea
2008-06-15, 23:31
I do not see how uninstalling and reinstalling it might resolve your problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/ONICTASK.EXE-832.html

Do you happen to run "Internet Cleanup"?

Are you running any other tasks while simultaneously running a Spybot scan?

When was the last time you defragmented your drive? Have you attempted to clear the cache, temp. files, and cookies from your browsers?

who101
2008-06-16, 02:13
Hi,

Yes I use Internet CleanUp and run it at least once a day, which I have been using for many years, along with Spybot. I keep it both clean and defraged. This is the first time i have ever had a problem with Spybot withthe exception of an occational ChechSum not working and having to reinstall becasue of that.

The uninstall and reinstall did not help, indeed. Have you heard of anyone else experiencing this problem?

I had on one instance been running IE7, which seemed to make it even worse, but I have tried running Spybot at least 5 times and not had IE7 going on several of these "tries," but still am experiencing the hang.

Thanks for your time.

drragostea
2008-06-16, 02:28
Yes, I've seen similar cases, except other users experienced a hang at another scanning entry.

Does Internet Cleanup offer real-time protection? Do you have TeaTimer active?

You said IE7 does not open?

What I was thinking is that you disable IC momentarily until Spybot completes the scan then you could turn it back on. By the CPU usage, it looks like IC is doing a scan too.

who101
2008-06-16, 05:13
Hi,

Internet cleanup is not resident, but I do use Zone Alarm and it is resident. I do not use Tea-Timer. I have used Zone Alarm for many years and it has never ben a problem. Spybot has been one of the most reliable programs I have used for years.

I will try and turn Zone Alarm off and see if the scan will run, but it has not been a problem in the past. Let you know what happens.

Thanks.

who101
2008-06-16, 06:03
Hi,

Just a followup on the last. I turned off Zone Alarm and tried to run it again. Still hangs up in the same place.

This is tech stuff that is sent via error repoerting to Microsoft:

szAppName : SpybotSD.exe szAppVer : 1.5.2.20 szModName : hungapp
szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 00000000

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERbd5b.dir00\SpybotSD.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERbd5b.dir00\appcompat.txt

Thanks again.

drragostea
2008-06-17, 00:51
Yikes. I never thought I had to do this... but I feel this may be the best solution... unless another member suggests one.
--
Run Spybot-SD in ADVANCED MODE. Find Settings> IGNORE PRODUCTS.
Find "Clickspring Outerinfo".
Screenshot below:
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z276/Shockwavesn1per/06-16-08001.jpg
--

There should be three of them. Tick the first one and run a scan. If it still stalls tick the second one. Repeat for the third. I know this may should tedious and time consuming, but this is the best solution I can provide. You might be able to avoid ticking all three of them. Remember all the other "entries" are not being ignored. They will not be scanned for in future scans IF YOU TICK THEM.

Good luck.

drragostea
2008-06-17, 00:54
Sorry, double post by accident.

who101
2008-06-17, 02:39
Hi,

This worked. Thanks for your help. Never had any real problem with Spybot before. Thanks again for your time.

Who

drragostea
2008-06-17, 03:22
Wow :laugh:, never knew this did the trick.

Spybot can complete the scan correct?

Glad to hear.

who101
2008-06-17, 04:26
This did work.

drragostea
2008-06-17, 04:30
Great. No further questions.

who101
2008-06-17, 15:17
Hi Again,

There is a "Bad URL Blocker," what I believe, blocked ads and varous counters, when you visited web sites. It does not seem to be loading. It use to come up and you could either "allow" or "dis-allow" it.

I don't think it was part of Tea-Timer, but did run resident. When I reloaded Sybot, did I miss something, becasue I do not see it coming up anymore?

Thank you for your time and efforts.

Who

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-17, 15:38
who101:

The two resident Spybot features, "TeaTimer" and "SDHelper". To see if "SDHelper" ("Bad URL Blocker") is activated go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident. Under the heading "Resident protection status" you will see: Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active.
If the item for "SDHelper" is check it should load with Internet Explorer when it starts.

There are three modes that "SDHelper" can operate in. If it is in "Block all pages silently", than you will not see the things it is blocking although they are logged (see Note # 1). To check which mode "SDHelper" is in, go into Internet Explorer > Tools > select "Spybot – Search Destroy Configuration" > then in the "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" window in the "Settings" tab under "When encountering bad things" there are three options:
options:
Block all pages silently
Display dialog when blocking
Ask for blocking confirmation

Note #1: There a couple of ways to access the "SDHelper.log":
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Previous reports. Select the "SDHelper.log" file and open it.
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the SDHelper.log file located in one of the following directories:
Windows 95 or 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows ME:
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows Vista:
C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Double click on SDHelper.log file and it should open with Notepad.

petety
2008-06-19, 20:17
ok i had the same problem.

spybot hung on clickspring outerinfo

spybot uses 99 percent of the system resources
and the running bot check thingy at the bottom stops at clickspring outerinfo 43361/158858 i waited 1/2 hr to be sure

i removed skybot and reinstalled

then i tried it with the wan unplugged --- it dont like that.

well it still dont scan

so i disabled clickspring from the checks like you advised and now it seems fine.
the last few months it removed clickspring outerinfo about every time i scanned..

C:\Program Files\Outerinfo
its here with a bunch of stuff in subdirectories
it removes easily with mycomputer... or filemanager

2:03 PM 6/19/2008 the teatimer lil icon just went away about 1/2 thru the hit list... task manager dont see it

this is a new thing
it seems to be continuing the scan...

petety
2008-06-20, 15:09
ok last night some time windows updated and rebooted 6/20- 2am?
no teatimer

skybots&d stops at surfaccuracy
after manual stopscan it removes

restart scan
and goes on
locks with clickspring

took the clickspring search out and did a scan with no threats

the outerinfo folder was not in c:\programs\outerinfo\
theres a services.exe in the task manager that doesnt alphabetize
killed it, it dont come back