PDA

View Full Version : Directories.

drragostea
2008-06-14, 17:54
I have a question. Is this something that shouldn't be there? Or should I leave it alone?

I've found some four folders in the DIRECTORIES tab in Spybot-SD.

They all end with... /Temp/.

Question is that should they be there?
Thanks.

Terminator
2008-06-14, 18:34
I have one Temp folder listed in my Directories Tab. I always assumed that it was ment to be there as it was was there after I installed it and I've never had any scan related problems with it.

drragostea
2008-06-14, 18:42
Hm. Thanks Terminator for the suggestion... but that doesn't seem like what I was looking for. :sad:.

Hm. I remember reading this post once about some kind of folder or setting in ADVANCED MODE which there should be nothing in it.

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-14, 18:56
drragostea:

Are you talking about the following directory?
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
If so, I have no Temp sub-directories/folders.

I have the following sub-directories:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Dummies
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Help
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Includes
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Languages
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Plugins
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Skins
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Updates

drragostea
2008-06-14, 19:09
Sorry md, that doesn't look it :sad:.

I made a screenshot.
--
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z276/Shockwavesn1per/06-14-08001.jpg

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-14, 19:51
drragostea:

The folders defined to the Directories feature are scanned for malware installers. See:
Why does Spybot-S&D find so many Spyware installers / how is that Download directories setting used?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/15.html
As far as I know, this scan only looks for certain installer names and therefore can be subject to false positives.

If you download installation programs to those directories, then feel free to scan them. If there is some other directory where you download installation programs to, consider scanning that or just remove all the entries from the Directories feature and do not use the feature.

The scan for the Directories feature appears to take place near the end of the scan. People have noted that without anything defined in the Directories feature, Spybot appears to skip the 4000-4500 checks when looking at the scan status (the xxxxx and yyyyy values in the following):
"Running bot-check(xxxxx/yyyyy:zzzzzz)" where:
[list] xxxxx = Current check count.
yyyyy = Total check count.
zzzzz = Malware check being performed.

drragostea
2008-06-14, 20:02
Thank you md for the explanation.

So it would be best to leave it alone?

I don't usually touch those settings unless I know what I'm doing.

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-14, 21:14
drragostea:

...So it would be best to leave it alone? ....
I personally do not have anything currently defined to the Directories feature. I have used the feature in the past to:
Test its functionality.
--- but ---
Primarily to answer queries in this and a predecessor forum.
You have to decide if:
The directories defined contain the type of files that can or will be detected.
If the scan is worthwhile in your individual case.

drragostea
2008-06-14, 22:47
You have to decide if:
The directories defined contain the type of files that can or will be detected.
If the scan is worthwhile in your individual case.

I don't really understand that part... but I'll leave it alone.

I'm a little confused about the Directories functions. Like what is a for.

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-14, 23:04
drragostea:

...I'm a little confused about the Directories functions. Like what is a for.
In addition to the reference I provided:
Why does Spybot-S&D find so many Spyware installers / how is that Download directories setting used?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/15.html
I don't know if the following will help:
From the Directories screen itself:

Spybot-S&D detects threats based on many aspects. But a general recommendation is that you store all incoming files (downloads) in a special folder, and that you set up this folder here for a special installer scan You can either drag a folder over here or right-click the list and select the option to add a folder.
From the Directories screen Help facility:

Setting the download directories --- Settings

Some scans do also target the installer files of problems detected by Spybot-S&D. Installers that the user must explicitely download himself will only be scanned for in the directories entered into this list.

You can either use Drag and Drop to drop some directories from an Explorer window or use the context menu to add or remove directories to or from the list.

You will find the download directories settings by choosing Directories from the Settings section in the toolbar to the left.

drragostea
2008-06-14, 23:27
Thanks md.

Greyfox
2008-06-15, 11:59
[FONT="Tahoma"]I don't really understand that part... but I'll leave it alone.

drragostea,

I would suggest you remove the folders shown in your screen pic from the Spybot Directories list. they are not there by default. These folders are used for temporary storage by various software.

If you have ONE specific folder with no other use but that you direct all of your downloads into it pending your decision as to what will finally happen to them, and then include it, and it only in the Spybot Directory list, then the items in it will get specific attention during a Spybot scanSpybot.

It also makes it convenient to subject this folder to a quick manual AV scan after your download has finished. It becomes like a quarantine or holding folder.

drragostea
2008-06-15, 21:28
I remember now. I knew it. There was a place where there shouldn't be any "folders" by default.

Greyfox, I have no clue what to do next. Do I leave it alone or delete specific folders?

Greyfox
2008-06-16, 10:23
Greyfox, I have no clue what to do next. Do I leave it alone or delete specific folders?

drragostea,

Don't delete the folders themselves, you simply remove them from the Spybot list.

Goto Settings->Directories
High each folder, right click and select Remove the selected directories from the list.

Hope that helps

drragostea
2008-06-17, 01:01
Hope that helps

Why not? Of course it did. Thanks.

I recall this thread which one Spybot member said that there shouldn't be anything in there. I think it was either, you (Greyfox), 129260, or Terminator.

Thanks Greyfox.