PDA

View Full Version : Teatime feezing everything

schoo
2008-06-14, 21:38
I've been having a few issues with my computer freezing and when I look, it's always a bit of addware called teatimer. I did a SB scan and an anti-virus scan and both came up clean. But when I Googled this, I find it's a part of Spybot S&D! http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/flagady15/smilies/doh.gif To get things unstuck, I have to restart my laptop which is a big bore.

Any suggestions?

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-14, 21:59
schoo:

If you believe that you are having problems with Spybot’s TeaTimer feature (TeaTimer.exe), you can disable it as follows:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
Under the heading "Resident protection status", uncheck the following:Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

maggeye
2008-06-14, 22:40
I think I will do that as well. My system very often freezes (about twice every hour of use) and I have to reboot.
When I look at processes in Task Manager Teatimer is using at least 95% of CPU, sometimes even 100%.

Does this mean that I would be disabling real time protection?

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-14, 23:51
maggeye:

... Does this mean that I would be disabling real time protection?
If you disable TeaTimer then it will no longer be active. Since TeaTimer is no longer active, it will no longer monitor changes to certain system Registry keys such as System Startup, ActiveX Distribution Unit, Browser page and Browser Helper Object, etc., giving the opportunity to reverse the registry change.

In addition, since TeaTimer would no longer be active it can not monitor processes that are initiated in the system, terminate malicious processes notifying you that it terminated a suspected malicious process.

The short answer is: If you disable TeaTime you are disabling "real time protection".

schoo
2008-06-15, 01:28
Thanks so much for your advice there.

But isn't there a middle way? If it's a useful feature, isn't there some way it can be stopped from freezing everything to a dead stop?

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-15, 05:14
schoo:

I personally don't have a problem running TeaTimer in my system. I don't know what the problem/conflict is in your system that is causing your system to freeze. If it is a case were TeaTimer is just taking more CPU time than is available as it appears to be in maggeye's case, no there is nothing that can be done. If it is a conflict with other software than possibly something can be done.