PDA

View Full Version : Screensaver in spybot directory?

Marty81
2008-06-16, 00:48
Hey folks,

Long-time user, first time poster. I was poking around in my program files today when I noticed this:

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/159/spybotdirat3.jpg

Does anything there look out of place to you? I'm wondering specifically about that suspicious .scr file. I did a search and found nothing. Also, I find it odd that the main program, SpybotSD.exe, seems to be missing.

I'm using version 1.5.2.20, and I just scanned and everything came up clean.

Marty81
2008-06-16, 07:50
Well, I figured out why SpybotSD.exe was missing. I had hidden files on, but not "sensitive" hidden files or somesuch. Anyway! I'm still curious about the .scr's.

Zenobia
2008-06-16, 10:01
I have the ones with the .scr extension also.One is the updater,one looks like teatimer,and one starts Spybot when I doubleclick it.
I don't know for 100% certain,but I suspect the reason for putting them in there has something to do with being able to run Spybot if something goes wrong with .exe's or such,since reading this post here.I'll just post the relevant part:

The extension scr is reserved for screensavers usually, but any exe renamed to scr will run the same way as an exe. Credits go to Buster for this I think, we recently spoke about that
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=168336&postcount=9

PepiMK
2008-06-16, 10:20
Zenobia guessed quite right :)

In case malware is successful in deleting single executable Spybot-S&D files, those with random filenames might persist.

And if malware is modifying the registry so that .exe files cannot be started (or a new .exe handler blocks Spybot-S&D), renaming an .exe file to .scr is a trick to still be able to start an application (which btw can also be used if you cannot start regedit.exe to fix the registry - just rename it to regedit.scr).

Marty81
2008-06-16, 20:24
Very clever. Thanks for easing my worries, guys!

Zenobia
2008-06-16, 21:12
You're welcome. :)