PDA

View Full Version : Ran Spybot and now none of my programs execute

defpig99
2008-06-16, 17:02
I ran spybot on my home PC and it shut down my computer in the middle of scanning. Now when i turn on the PC, everything seems to boot up and take me to the desktop but when i click anything (IE, MS Office, Spybot, anything), my computer freezes and it won't allow me to do anything. Ctrl/alt/del doesnt even work so i have to turn off the pc manually. Please help as this has never happened before. Thank you.

FYI - I run Windows XP and use IE and Firefox and never had this problem before.

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-16, 21:04
defpig99:

Have you attempted any corrective action such as doing a System Restore to a Restore Point immediately prior to the failure?

If you right click on and empty area of the Taskbar and select Task Manager, does it start?

defpig99
2008-06-16, 23:26
i haven't been able to do a system restore or anything for that matter because although my PC boots up and my desktop shows everything is there, when i click on an icon (any of them), nothing happens. and i can not get to the task manager either. Its like all my execute files disappeared but i'm just guessing.

I wish i could get into the spybot program so i could do a restore if that is even offered there. where else would i be able to do a restore and would it kill all my files if i did this. i don't want to lose my docs and pictures and music.

thanks.

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-17, 00:03
defpig99:

You seem to have indicated that your Desktop seems to load normally. Is the Taskbar present?

If so, can you:
Click Start » Help and Support » "Undo changes to your computer with System Restore" and get into the "Welcome to System Restore" dialog?
Right click on an empty area of the Taskbar and select Task Manager and then does Task Manager start?