PDA

View Full Version : How to temp. disable SpywareBlaster & SpywareGuard???

kenpitcher4
2008-06-17, 23:57
After having all malware removed sucessfully, ( Thank you guys very much ), I took your advice and downloaded SpywareBlaster, and SpywareGuard. My question is how to temporarily disable them so I can download a NVIDIA Driver, or anything else that may require a temp. disable of security????

drragostea
2008-06-18, 00:29
You do not need to "disable"SpywareBlaster, because it is not running in the memory. It sets killbits, so it's more like the Immunization feature provided by Spybot.

As for SpywareGuard, it is badly outdated. The latest version is 2.2 with update definitions from 2004 :sad:.

I would suggest you uninstall if it does you any good, but that will be totally up to you.

Do you have the latest version of SpywareBlaster? The latest version is 4.1. :bigthumb:

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-18, 06:04
.... As for SpywareGuard, it is badly outdated. The latest version is 2.2 with update definitions from 2004 :sad:. ...
The fact is that SpywareGuard still offers browser hijack and spyware protection.

Why is my SpywareGuard® database dated 2004? (https://www.javacoolsoftware.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=23&nav=0,12) (17 Feb 2008 04:23 AM):

SYMPTOMS

You've run LiveUpdate, but your SpywareGuard database is still from 2004.

CAUSE

The current version of the SpywareGuard database is dated January 22, 2004.

EXPLANTION

The current version of SpywareGuard still provides strong protection against Browser Hijacking by alerting the user as soon as such activity is detected. SpywareGuard's Browser Hijacking Protection component doesn't require database updates.

The real-time scanning built into SpywareGuard 2.2 has been extended about as much as is possible - which unfortunately means a complete rewrite is needed to allow for future changes and updates. This doesn't mean that the current real-time scanning is ineffective. Because of its heuristic scanning methods, SpywareGuard will cover more recent variants of items in the database, even without database updates. It does mean that SpywareGuard can't detect some completely new items (i.e. completely new spyware/adware programs, as opposed to new versions of, say, "RapidBlaster").

In conclusion, SpywareGuard can protect you from all Browser Hijackers and some spyware/adware programs. You can use SpywareBlaster® to provide further protection from spyware, adware, dialers, and other unwanted Active-X programs.

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-18, 06:37
kenpitcher4:

To disable SpywareGuard protection:
Double-click on the red "SG" icon in the system tray.
In the SpywareGuard GUI click the Options button.
Under SpywareGuard Options click General
Uncheck the following General Protection Options:
Enable Real-Time Scanning
Enable Download Protection
Enable Browser Hijack Protection
Click the Save Settings button.
Then in the File menu select Exit.

drragostea
2008-06-18, 21:37
Thank you md, for clarifying.

Does SG work with Windows XP SP3? Last time I tried it on SP3 it crashed.

kenpitcher4
2008-06-20, 20:52
Thank you for the answers, appreciate it.