PDA

View Full Version : Scan sort of stuck on Virtumonde.dll

CharlesF
2008-06-18, 20:43
After applying today's updates, the scan seems to be stuck on Virtumonde.dll. The scan is advancing slowly, but it's been on Virtumonde.dll for a good 40 minutes.

Anyone have any idea?

Regards,
Charles

drragostea
2008-06-18, 22:17
I haven't done a scan yet... but I will this evening.

Have you cleared the cache, temp. files, and cookies from your browsers? Have you defragmented your drive lately?

Also, were there any entries detected?

CharlesF
2008-06-18, 22:30
I haven't done a scan yet... but I will this evening.

Have you cleared the cache, temp. files, and cookies from your browsers? Have you defragmented your drive lately?

Not recently. I'll do that and see what happens. FYI, this is an old W2k station that is only used to evaluate software. It's image of C:, last created 2 years ago, is restored after each evaluation is completed.

Also, were there any entries detected?

I'm still waiting for this scan to complete (3 hours now). Nothing has been found so far. Previous scans always completed normally with nothing found.

Regards,
Charles

drragostea
2008-06-18, 22:46

Alright, first do that first.

What I was thinking was to ignore the "entry" in Spybot. Thus, the scan will continue. If Virtuemonde was not detected on the computer, then I guessing that one ignore entry will do.

CharlesF
2008-06-19, 00:40
Alright, first do that first.

What I was thinking was to ignore the "entry" in Spybot. Thus, the scan will continue. If Virtuemonde was not detected on the computer, then I guessing that one ignore entry will do.

OK. I've cleared all browser caches and ALL user temp folders. Same problem.
The scan reaches around 13400 and then slows to a crawl.

drragostea
2008-06-19, 01:40
If that won't do...

Run Spybot-SD in ADVANCED MODE>SETTINGS>IGNORE PRODUCTS. Find the "Virtuemonde.dll" entry and tick it. Spybot will not detect it in future scans. See if this resolves it.

CharlesF
2008-06-19, 03:56
Problem does not happen on my old Win98 station or my XP notebook (both of which are actually used day-to-day).

Regards,
Charles

drragostea
2008-06-19, 04:00
After applying today's updates, the scan seems to be stuck on Virtumonde.dll. The scan is advancing slowly, but it's been on Virtumonde.dll for a good 40 minutes.

Anyone have any idea?

Regards,
Charles

Well clarify which OS this problem is occurring on. Did you read my instructions in the previous post?

CharlesF
2008-06-19, 18:09
Scan finally completed sometime overnight on the W2K station. Nothing found.

Regards,
Charles

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-19, 18:48
CharlesF:

The scan for Virtumonde.dll does seem to take a significant portion of the overall scan time. Spybot 1.6, being beta tested now, greatly reduces the overall scan time and should help relieve the problem with the scan for Virtumonde.dll.

CharlesF
2008-06-25, 15:46
CharlesF:

The scan for Virtumonde.dll does seem to take a significant portion of the overall scan time. Spybot 1.6, being beta tested now, greatly reduces the overall scan time and should help relieve the problem with the scan for Virtumonde.dll.

Why only on W2k?

Regards,
Charles

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-25, 15:58
CharlesF:

The observation was made on my system running Spybot 1.5.2.20 and Spybot 1.6 beta 1. So it is not " ... only on W2k".

honda12
2008-06-25, 16:42
Yes, I am running vista and I have noticed that Spybot 1.6 Beta, slows down on Virtumonde.dll, but definitely not on the scale noticed here :spider:

chessi3802
2008-06-26, 18:03
Hey,
Applied the latest updates to 1.5.2 and whenever it gets to the virtumonde section of the scan it SLOWS to a crawl or seems to stop altogether. I know that I can "ignore" that scan on the list since I've never had a virtumonde problem pop up, but I would rather get a full and complete scan everytime.
Any solutions?
Joe

jules1
2008-10-30, 03:42
I have the same problem, running v6 on win2k. Scan slows riiiiiight down on virtumonde, taking about 30 minutes before continuing. I'm reluctant to remove V'monde from the scan. Seems pointless to scan except for the one infection that seems to cause most difficulty.
Anyone had any success solving this?

Bubo25
2008-11-20, 21:33
Hey,
Applied the latest updates to 1.5.2 and whenever it gets to the virtumonde section of the scan it SLOWS to a crawl or seems to stop altogether. I know that I can "ignore" that scan on the list since I've never had a virtumonde problem pop up, but I would rather get a full and complete scan everytime.
Any solutions?
Joe

I run Spybot 1.5.2.0 as well and I've got this trouble too, only my scan takes literally HOURS to clear the Virtumonde.dll section of the scan! In the end I gave up. Anyone know of any way to get the damned thing working faster? As far as I can tell it's been okay up until the last week or so.

md usa spybot fan
2008-11-21, 05:36
Bubo25:

Upgrade to Spybot 1.6. The installation program can be downloaded from here:
Mirror selection - The home of Spybot-S&D!
http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html