PDA

View Full Version : when this software is asking for registry changes then what we have to do

achtani_jeetu
2008-06-19, 13:51
actually i m bit concerned about the fact that sometimes this software is asking for changes for registry entries like ctfmon.exe what i need to ask is when do we get to know that this time we need to allow S&D to change the registry entry or not. I m bit worried about this thing as everybody knows that registry changes are to be done carefully. Please help.I will appreciate your responce.

Terminator
2008-06-19, 20:39
The software you are referring to is the Tea Timer. Please read the FAQS HERE (http://www.spybot.info/en/faq/index.html) and HERE (http://www.spybot.info/en/tutorial/index.html) for more infomation.

If you are still having problems then post back here and we'll what we can do:santa:.

2008-06-19, 21:23
IF you find teatimer to be more of a nuisance then a help,

or you don't understand it even after reading the links terminator gave, I
suggest disabling it. Especially for people who click at random and don't want
to monitor changes to your computer. I recommend u disable teatimer so that
you won't deny changes accidentally. When you first install spybot, teatimer is unchecked (meaning it is not installed by default.) SO you must have checked that upon installation, otherwise teatimer would not be active. I suggest you open spybot, click mode-advanced mode. click yes. Navigate to tools-resident. then uncheck system settings protector (teatimer). Leave the other option checked. This will still stop malware from entering your machine through downloads in your browsers, but you will no longer be asked to allow or deny changes when a major change is made to your system. Teatimer then will not be active again until you go back into the spybot program and recheck the option. I hope this helps :)

caterwaul
2008-06-19, 21:29
I don't think the "help" links are going to really address you question specifically. If I'm not mistaken your concerned when you see a message asking you whether to "allow" or "deny" an attempted change to you registry.

I think the answer to your question is basically common sense really....

If you are installing software on your computer in many cases registry changes are required to be made.

Obviosly if you are in the process of either installing or updating software and get a question to "allow" or "deny" a registry change it is absolutely recommend (required) to make the change(s).

Also if you are using a program that may need to make a registry change and of course you know you are using this program obviously then it is advisable to "allow" the changes.

If on the other hand you are simply visiting a web site for example (in other words not doing anything that would typically need a registry change) and you are asked whether to "allow" or "deny" it may be much safer to "deny" the change.

There is not hard and fast rule and I can understand why users would be first of all "alarmed" by this message and is probably why some users do not like making these kinds of decisions. This is of course in the knowledge that registry changes can be impact a computer in very significant ways. And as we all know in some cases messages can be esoteric in nature.

But in most cased the Teatimer message will show you the program name (entry) and minimally part of the path location.

You will be the best person to know if you are using something on your compouter that might need to change the registry.

If you recognize the program it is likely not going to be a problem and actually probably advisable to "allow" the change.

I can give you an example of a registry change that I DO NOT ALLOW. In cases where I am surfing and a "startpage redirect" is requested... I deny the change.

But in most cases it is advisable to allow the change actually... teatimer is just an added function for extra safety and to allow the user more control and awareness of what is going on.

On rule of thumb is that if you think it is probably okay to "allow" but not totally sure right down the program name and path. You can then check this out further as far as the software is concerned and if need by you can edit "regedit" the registry and remove the entry later on. On the other hand if you "deny" the change then you really do not have the option to change this decision.

I think most people are reluctant to advise on this subject one way or the other because of obvious reasons. I am just offering my point of view for what it is worth in the knowledge that any decisions regarding the registry is at the users risk.

But let me put it this way to maybe abate understandable concerns...

ALL REGISTRY CHANGES WOULD HAVE BEEN MADE WITHOUT YOUR KNOWEDGE IF YOU DID NOT HAVE TEATIMER RUNNING. :)

Sometimes this fact is helpful, in the knowledge that none of the registry changes would be blocked at all so even if you "allow" a change that should not have been "allowed" it would certainly have happened without teatimer anyway.

Does that help.... :2thumb:

drragostea
2008-06-19, 22:11
But in most cased the Teatimer message will show you the program name (entry) and minimally part of the path location.

Aye, caterwaul, a meticulous explanation. I agree.

But to add to that... TeaTimer does not show the source. In other words... it does not tell what is making this change. Thus, it would be difficult to pinpoint the cause.

caterwaul
2008-06-19, 22:59
Aye, caterwaul, a meticulous explanation. I agree.

But to add to that... TeaTimer does not show the source. In other words... it does not tell what is making this change. Thus, it would be difficult to pinpoint the cause.

Oh but it does... just as I posted:

You will be the best person to know if you are using something on your compouter that might need to change the registry.

If you recognize the program it is likely not going to be a problem and actually probably advisable to "allow" the change.

Take a look at the link below of the SpyBot tutorial and scroll down to the teatimer image. You will see "Entry" location on the message with the program name is showing in this case related to the "Adobe Reader..." and further down "New data" which is the path were the change will be made.

http://www.spybot.info/en/tutorial/index.html

This information along with what the user happens to be doing should be enough for the user to minimally get an idea what the change is all about and make an educated decision. :)