PDA

View Full Version : NewDotNet Part 2

EvenDumberThanILook
2006-01-28, 04:10
Computers are not my thing, so please be gentle. I've got some random questions which I'll ask in no particular order. I've got a curser that'll move on its on to the top left corner of the screen. Have I been hacked? I read James Coates,the tech guy with the ChicagoTribune say it's a bad idea to have more than one anti-virus program. Is that true? Right now, I've got Spybot and Norton running. Comast is offering free McAfee protection. Are they just as good? Which one should I choose? When I cut this thing on, I'll get a blue screen that'll have a percentage bar counting up. It'll only get up to about 3 or 4%, and then it'll disappear. How do I get rid of it? When I try to cut it off, it takes forever. I have to hit the button numerous times to get it to "take" sometime. I'll hold the button down until the screen goes to black and white. I've got Windows XP Professional. Sometimes I'll get a message that Windows has to shut down and I'll be asked to send an error report. When I say yes, I'll get the box titled Error Reporting. The first heading is Preparing error report. A check mark will appear next to it and the arrows will go back and forth. I can wait for hours and never have it go to connecting to server or checking for status of this problem. Why is this happening? Since I've been addressing this message, my Norton Antivirus has been running. It found 3 Remaining Risks: Adware.Mainsearch, which is ranked High and Adware.Topsearch, which it lists twice as medium risk. I'm printing out the instructions on how to get rid of 'em. One of the things it says is that to use the System Configuration Utility, I must log on to Windows XP with an Administrator account. What's that? My son goes to one of those Facebook type sites. Are these things inherently risky? Should I make him stop? I've tried to run System File Checker. When I click on Start and Run, and type in sfc/scannow, nothing happens. Well, that's all I can think of for now. Thanks for reading and any help.

EvenDumberThanILook
2006-01-31, 05:13
Hello.
See here:
Before you post a log (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Copy paste the log into this topic and someone will assist you as soon as available. :) I would advise you not to take any further steps or do-it-yourself fixes in the meantime or it could make our giving assistance difficult.

Instead while waiting, read here:
So how did I get infected in the first place? By Tony Klein (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279)

Cheers.
I have no idea what you mean when you say copy paste the log into this topic. Could you elaborate?

EvenDumberThanILook
2006-03-14, 00:10
I've run Spybot several times and I can't remove NewDotNet. When I go to the Add/Remove Control Panel to remove it, it doesn't appear. How can I find it to remove it? I see different opinions on whether or not it's spyware; what's the consensus? Is it the reason I get countless e mail from "dave" or "mary" with mispelled subject matter or is that a different virus?

EvenDumberThanILook
2006-03-14, 01:17
Also, when I launched Spybot after the earlier post, I (again) got a message that my computer was "Creating System Restore Point..." When I hit Ctl, Alt, Del, it shows that it is running, but nothing ever changes. Plus this time I had additional viruses(?) it wouldn't deal with: Wild Tangent-1 entry, Cydoor-1 entry, DownloadWare-2 entries, Network essentials-1 entry NewDotNet-3 entries, Xupiter-1 entry. I've got Windows XP Professional.

shelf life
2006-03-14, 03:28
hi,

lets stay in this thread. reply back here using the submit reply button.
first thing is look in add/remove programs panel and uninstall:
newdot net or
newdot domains
if they are present. if they are restart computer once after uninstalling.

need a hjt log: see this thread. there is a section about half way down about installing/using/copy/paste a hjt log. reply back here.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

shelf life

shelf life
2006-03-18, 00:46
hi EvenDumberThanILook,

hows it going, you still with us?

tashi
2006-03-23, 19:38
This topic is closed.