Automation - on program start
Run check on program start
Fix all problems
Immunize if updated
Don't ask for fixing confirmation

Web Update
Download updated include files at program start

Question...
Is the above web update download enough to satisfy the nightly automatic system check? If not, how are updates automated to download and install before each automated system check?

Your input is appreciated...

~ grinnZ ~

drragostea
2008-06-22, 02:44
Question...
Is the above web update download enough to satisfy the nightly automatic system check?

From your settings, Spybot will first check for updates on every start. However, Spybot will not find any updates after the last most recent update, because updates are released every week. Wednesday in the U.S.

After finding updates (or not) Spybot will run a full scan and fix the entries if there are anything found. I don't think Spybot will immunize automatically as it checked for updates if every possible entry is immunized.

grinnz
2008-06-22, 03:03
Damn, what a quick reply! Thank you.

As I understand what you are saying per my settings I should not have to worry about updates because if new ones are found they will automatically be downloaded and applied to the subsequent scan. Yet just earlier today I did a manual update to find new updates dated 18 Jun. Keep in mind, that is after this automated scan has run nightly even after the 18th. Please advise.

~ grinnZ ~

drragostea
2008-06-22, 06:47
June 18th would be the week of the most recent update. Spybot-SD runs a full scan regardless whether it finds new updates or not.

My tip and suggestion to you is that, if Spybot does not find anything during the scans of two days in a row, then it would not be necessary to scan everyday. I usually scan after every update (every week). But this is my opinion to you. Running long scans may put a strain on your hard drive. In this case, Spybot wouldn't be a long scan :laugh:.

Unless you have a fast processor like Duo Core or with lots of RAM ; ), the scheduled scanning everyday would be okay.

grinnz
2008-06-22, 16:50
Thank you again for you reply. Your suggestion for a weekly scan is well taken and will surely be implemented. Yet I do think that you missed the point of my previous post. If Spybot was pulling down the updates automatically, why then would I then find that same week's updates available and needed days after they were released? Was Spybot not to have already installed them during one of the subsequent nightly automations?

~ grinnZ ~

drragostea
2008-06-22, 17:04
I'm not what may have done that... Ah I know!

Alright here's the storyboard:

Say like the most recent updates would be on June 18th, correct? The updates will be released usually around 12' noon or earlier. And say that you turn on your computer at 9AM. Problem would be that even if the updates were going to be released on the same day, it has not been released yet. Thus, Spybot will check for updates (none, because it has not been released yet) and then run a full scan.

My alternative would be disabling the Auto checking, as you know updates are released every week. Cut Spybot some slack will you? Just kiddin' :laugh:.

Grinnz, did that answer your question?

grinnz
2008-06-22, 17:36
OK... so I miss window for the update release on one day and the scan runs again on the next day and the next. Should not the updates be automatically downloaded and installed prior to the second scan or perhaps the third if the second also missed them? My point is that the 18th of this month happened on Wednesday. I run my scans at 4am daily. Why then were these updates not automatically downloaded and installed on Thursday or Friday or Saturday? Why did I still find them available for installation midday on Saturday?

I hope that clarifies my question.

~ grinnZ ~

drragostea
2008-06-22, 18:13
My point is that the 18th of this month happened on Wednesday. I run my scans at 4am daily. Why then were these updates not automatically downloaded and installed on Thursday or Friday or Saturday? Why did I still find them available for installation midday on Saturday?

I'm not really sure, why Spybot did not download the updates on time. It may also depend on the server Spybot is downloading. I don't think Spybot specifies a server from which it downloads, more like random to me.

Available for installation? Are you saying you checked it manually? If not, then how would you know? Does Spybot report whether there is an update available? Does it run during bootup as minimized?

grinnz
2008-06-22, 18:42
Yes, it was I that manually discovered that the update was available as I know of no automated mechanism within Spybot to determine whether updates have been installed. It has always been that way and it was based on that necessity and the desire to automate the entire process that I finally posted to this forum. As explained previously the scan occurs daily at 4am with the settings outlined in my first post. Finally, my computer stays up 24/7 and so the scan happens simply while I sleep rather than at boot time.

drragostea
2008-06-22, 19:24
Finally, my computer stays up 24/7 and so the scan happens simply while I sleep rather than at boot time.

Ah, now you mentioned it, Spybot will only boot up&scan during reboot (which is a restart). Your problem would be leaving the computer on 24/7, thus giving Spybot a less likely chance to update again because Spybot is already active.

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-22, 20:01
drragostea:

You can schedule Spybot to start, update, scan and then close at anytime. There is no restriction that you can only do that when you reboot the system.

grinnz:

In your desire to automate the entire process do you check the results of the scan that are preformed; i.e. Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.txt or Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.txt files?

grinnz
2008-06-22, 20:46
MD... thank you for jumping into this fray. The answer to your question is no, I do not check any logs and in fact was unaware of their existence. Are they automatically created or need I configure to create them? Frankly, there are times when I am awake while the scan runs so I know it is happening and trust that the fixes are also being made.

You can schedule Spybot to start, update, scan and then close at anytime.

Please tell me how your update is integrated into your automation procedure.

grinnz
2008-06-24, 22:56
First let me thank drragostea for all of your replies and giving it your best shot to answer my question. I really do appreciate your effort. Likewise I will express my thanks to MD for joining the conversation with your clarification.

Unfortunately, however, with all of that said and all of the posts written my original inquiry yet remains truly unanswered regarding the automation of the update procedure. Frankly, at this point I am beginning to believe that an automated update is simply not possible unless anyone can tell me otherwise. MD alluded that it was possible yet he has yet to share how it is properly done. Is there anyone else that might be willing to shed some light on this inquiry?

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-25, 05:13
I'm sorry for losing track of your response to my post.

Using the Window's Scheduled Tasks facility or a facility with Spybot (Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Scheduler) that assists in creating a Window's Scheduled Tasks, you can schedule Spybot to use any of the parameters listed under "… Spybot-S&D main executable (SpybotSD.exe) supports:" in the following:
Are there any command line parameters?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/30.html

PepiMK
2008-06-25, 09:33
Btw, just a piece of information thrown into the thread ;) , 1.6 offers to separately schedule updating on this settings page as well :)

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-25, 15:29
PepiMK:

Thank you! I hadn't noticed.

grinnz
2008-06-27, 18:56
Now we're getting somewhere! Thank you gentlemen for your inputs and assistance on this subject.

:beerbeerb:

Off to automate my updates...