PDA

View Full Version : SpybotSD.exe messing with taskbar window switching

BrotherEstapol
2008-06-22, 03:30
Hey, I've used Spybot S&D for years now, and recently I reinstalled the program on my XP machine.

Now for some reason whenever I start up windows, and I've got a few windows open(say a couple of IE windows, exploer and winamp) I cannot change between windows properly.
What happens is when I click on a window in the taskbar, instead of restoring said window, the button in the taskbar just flashes(like when you get a new message in an MSN chat window). To get it to restore, you have to click on it like 3 or four times...normally just the one click restores it.

Also, if you click on a window that is behind the one you're in, it does the same thing(flashes in the taskbar) and doesn't select it at all.

Now I went through and ended alot of processes, and when I stopped SpybotSD.exe, everything went back to normal.

Like I said I've used this program for ages, and it's never given me this issue before...if anyone could shed some light on the issue I'd really appreciate it. :)

drragostea
2008-06-22, 07:02
It may look like you are running too many windows at once, or the programs may be taking too much memory simultaneously.

Are you opening Winamp and IE during a Spybot scan?
Because during that time, Spybot will be taking a majority of the RAM. So it would be best to run Spybot during minimal activity.

If you had, say 5 tabs open in IE, it would still take up a lot of memory (50MB at average).

It's not that you cannot change windows properly. It's just that Windows is responding slowly because Spybot-SD is open.

The "Spybotsd.exe" process would not be running if Spybot is not open.

BrotherEstapol
2008-06-22, 07:45
Nah, it's not RAM that's a problem(got 2gb DDR2), as it does this as soon as windows loads.

I've tried it with less strenuous programs as well(notepad, run, cmd) and it does the same thing.
Heck, it even does it when the computer is locked.(the login screen is not selected like it normally is, and you have to click on it to use it)

I looked through all the settings in Spybot as well as msconfig, and I cannot see why it is running at startup.

Perhaps it's not the genuine SpybotSD.exe file? Just another file with that name which is messing with the system?

I'm doing a search now, but not having much luck.

drragostea
2008-06-22, 16:48
Nice RAM you got there. Just kiddin'.
2GB of RAM should be a fast computer, compared to my 512MB, Spybot should run smoothly. Just with the cooling fan activated when scanning.

From your description, it looks like Spybot is set to run at every start-up. Have you set this?
Also, you have checked out "msconfig". Did you disable Spybot?
--
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z276/Shockwavesn1per/06-22-08001.jpg
--

Run Spybot in ADVANCED MODE and find the SETTINGS. Disable it from running at start-up.