PDA

View Full Version : Removing Spybot

MoeMoe
2006-03-15, 17:08
I am trying to remove spybot from a few users computers by using a batch file to run the unsinstall program and was wondering if there are any switches to allow the uninstall to be ran silently and unattended.

md usa spybot fan
2006-03-15, 22:11
I am not aware of any. From the following:
Are there any command line parameters?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/30.html

/uninstall
Uninstalls Spybot-S&D. This command line parameter is very outdated - unins00.exe should be used instead!
Please note that even if you make a batch to execute the following (note the unins000 in my command line vs. unins00.exe in the quote):
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\unins000
I personally do not recommend just uninstalling Spybot because of the various changes that may or may not have been made to the system using the various options within Spybot while it was installed (immunizing, HOSTS file, IE Tweaks, etc.).

To uninstall Spybot-S&D this is what I recommend:
Go into Spybot > Immunize
Click "Undo" button (at the top)
Uncheck (if checked) the following:
"Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer"

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident
Uncheck (if checked) the following:
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > IE Tweaks.
Uncheck (if checked) any of the following "Miscellaneous locks":
Lock Hosts file read-only as protection against hijackers
Lock IE start page setting against user changes (current user)
Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE (current user)

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Hosts file
Click the "Remove Spybot S&D hosts list" button (at the top)

Exit Spybot-S&D
Make sure that TeaTimer is not running by checking for the TeaTimer System Tray Icon. If the icon is there:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident. TeaTimer should close.

Go to Windows > Control panel > Add or Remove Programs > Locate "Spybot – Search & Destroy 1.4" > Remove.
Using Windows explorer, verified that the following folder has been delete. If not, delete it:C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy

If you want to make sure that all the registry entries that Spybot-S&D added during installation are removed, there is a .reg file available on the safer-networking.org WEB site that can do that. See the following article:
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
How to uninstall?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/27.html
The direct download link is:
remove-spybotsd-settings.reg (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/remove-spybotsd-settings.reg)
Download the file.
Double click on it
Answer Yes then OK

Delete the Configuration.ini file (or if you are never going to use Spybot again and do not want to retain the logs, recovery files, etc. delete the entire directory).The Configuration.ini file is stored in one of the following folders:
Windows 95 or 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
Windows ME:
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy

Although the instructions seem lengthy, they only take a minute or two to do, especially if the "remove-spybotsd-settings.reg" file is downloaded and provided to the user with the instructions.