PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility Problem - Panda Antivirus

basquemactee
2008-06-25, 22:44
Recently, I installed a copy of Spybot on a friend's computer that also had installed the Panda antivirus suite. We ran Spybot on a couple of occasions and it worked perfectly.

However, speaking to this friend today told me that her PC lost connection with Internet completely last week and she was adviced by a so-called PC expert that the cause of this was due to incompatibility problems between Spybot and Panda.

What I would like to know is whether this could actually be possible due to the fact that she had been using Spybot for a month with no apparent problems. Are there any known conflicts between these two programs?

Please, some advice would be really appreciated as it has cost her a lot of money to repair the PC.

Many Thanks

drragostea
2008-06-26, 01:59
No point in asking for a computer repair for a couple of hundred bucks when you can ask questions ; ).

What is her OS (Operating System)?

From Wikipedia's source about Panda Security Software, it mentions nothing about incompatibility about the software. Trust me, it's not Spybot.

The problem here is that, if it's been working for the past months, there's a unlikely chance the Spybot is the culprit. This is relevant because Norton (Symantec) users began finding false positives (which was later discovered) about Spybot, this was later resolved.

I don't think this may be a false positive. Is Spybot updated (1.5.2.20)?

Also does your friend have a modem? Such as the one for a DSL or cable connection? Try power cycling (turn it off... then after 1/2 of a minute turn it back on).

Did your friends computer ever had any trouble with a malware (spyware or virus) problem?

basquemactee
2008-06-26, 03:37
Ok, her OS is XP, spybot version is 1.5.2.20, the most recent one.

She has an ADSL line that apparently stopped working after 1 month of Spybot being installed.

I'm not sure if she had other anti virus s/w installed apart from Panda, that's one thing I need to find out.

As far as malware probs goes, again as far as I know she had none, but the first time I ran Spybot on her PC it discovered a serious amount of tracking cookies and other items that were promptly cleaned off.

I'll check tomorrow to find out what other antivirus s/w she had installed and also whether she had d/l anything from any "dodgy" site.

Thanks for your reply, I'll get back to you as soon as I have more info.

drragostea
2008-06-26, 04:03
...I'm not sure if she had other anti virus s/w installed apart from Panda, that's one thing I need to find out.
I'll check tomorrow to find out what other antivirus s/w she had installed and also whether she had d/l anything from any "dodgy" site.

I'll sure need the info. I was thinking about uninstalling Spybot and see of the problem persists.

basquemactee
2008-06-27, 00:51
OK, I've checked with her and she claims not to have had any other antiv s/w installed. Apparently this technical guy had to uninstall the Spybot amongst other things (which I don't know what they were) and she now doesn't have the problem.

What I am going to do now is write directly to Panda to find out whether they have heard of any probs with their antiv suite version 2008 and compatibility with Spybot.

My way of thinking is that it's just a con for this guy to earn more cash for doing nothing basically!

I'll let you know the response from Panda when I have it.

drragostea
2008-06-27, 01:14
My way of thinking is that it's just a con for this guy to earn more cash for doing nothing basically!

That's how they make a living. Conning people are are less knowledgeable in computers than they are.

If it works well... then I'm assuming there's a unclear conflict between Spybot and Panda software. Tell me how it goes.