PDA

View Full Version : suggestions to spybot

blues
2008-06-26, 12:11
hi. i have some suggestions to spybot, i can see that i have 11 hostsfile backups in the hostsfile folder, maybe they can be removed by spybot so we dont have to do that manually because the folder is just growing and growing and some people maybe dont know the folder is growing, i mean it is just necessary to have just one backup.

the other one is that maybe the installation wizard can ask if you want to disable the dnsclient to avoid slow browsing speed, maybe someone dont understand why their browsing is a bit slower than before. and it have been great to have a hostsfile server to serve up images or empty images to make the browsing even faster, and to avoid to having to hit the backbutton in the browser several times to get back to where people was, but that happenes only sometimes and mostly when a ad or something is blocked on the site they are visiting, maybe you should link to hostsman wich has a hostsserver and is able to download other hostsfiles and then we just merge spybots hostsfile to the others, that will be even more protection than we had before. i use hphosts and mvpshosts together with the spybot hostsfile and almost never see ads and other annoyances.

its sad to see poor test results by spybot on the calendarofupdates site made by donna, but i love spybot anyway and will never stop using it, and i hope that all the tools and immunize will never be removed from spybot:)

and maybe the logs should be not only in the advanced mode, but in the standard mode, to be easy for newbies to delete them when they are not needed anymore, to avoid the growing of the logs endlessly.

is it safe to remove the usage tracks found by spybot?

maybe you should go together with the makers of hphosts, mvpshosts, hostsman, spywareblaster, ccleaner and an antivirus to make a powerfull security suite:)

drragostea
2008-06-26, 17:50
its sad to see poor test results by spybot on the calendarofupdates site made by donna, but i love spybot anyway and will never stop using it, and i hope that all the tools and immunize will never be removed from spybot:)

This is because Spybot scans specifically for certain entries. Spybot however, does not function like AV... it does detect trojans, malware, spyware, keyloggers, bots, and some rookits. But it does not detect viruses.

However, compared to SAS and A-squared they have a vast database, enabling the user to scan with 'Smart' scan or a 'Deep' scan.
--

and maybe the logs should be not only in the advanced mode, but in the standard mode, to be easy for newbies to delete them when they are not needed anymore, to avoid the growing of the logs endlessly.

Your post should have been posted in the SUGGESTIONS forum, as these features are suggested by users to be added into future Spybot versions.
--

hey are not needed anymore, to avoid the growing of the logs endlessly.

is it safe to remove the usage tracks found by spybot?

maybe you should go together with the makers of hphosts, mvpshosts, hostsman, spywareblaster, ccleaner and an antivirus to make a powerfull security suite:)

This would depend on what the trackage is. If it is tracking cookies, then it would safe to remove. You can also clear the cookies, cache, and temp. files once in a while manually.

As for the integrated Security, I honestly don't think that SaferNetworking will do that. AV's, CCleaner, Javacool, and MVPHosts are separate companies who do their own work and create their own software.

blues
2008-06-26, 18:59
i asked about usage tracks because it seemed like spybot finds registry entries and tracks in the registry, and i saw a thread here today about that registry cleaners was not recommended and was because of that worried to delete what spybot finds.

i didnt mean that spybot was no good, sorry if i seemed to mean that:sad: as i have read about spybot it is mostly scanning the registry to see if there is malware on the computer, and that explained why i almost never hear or see disc activity, but maybe i have misunderstood.

i like this forum and is reading here everyday:)

drragostea
2008-06-26, 19:12
Hm. It's okay.

You don't see Spybot's scanning activity? When you do a scan, Spybot shows your the progress and if there are any found entries.

Can you give some examples of the entries Spybot found? Like what name of the "user trackage".

blues
2008-06-26, 20:20
yes i see the progress bar.

this is what spybot found: almost all are usage tracks.

--- Report generated: 2008-06-26 20:02 ---

Microsoft.Windows.RedirectedHosts: [SBI $97C2C277] Omdirigert vert (Omdirigert vert, nothing done)
www.experts-exchange.com=127.0.0.1

Microsoft.Windows.RedirectedHosts: [SBI $926098F7] Omdirigert vert (Omdirigert vert, nothing done)
experts-exchange.com=127.0.0.1

Microsoft.Windows.RedirectedHosts: [SBI $C1DEB1AF] Omdirigert vert (Omdirigert vert, nothing done)
ask.com=127.0.0.1

Microsoft.Windows.RedirectedHosts: [SBI $25161DD4] Omdirigert vert (Omdirigert vert, nothing done)
www.ask.com=127.0.0.1

Log: Activity: SchedLgU.Txt (Backup fil, nothing done)
C:\WINDOWS\SchedLgU.Txt

Log: Activity: imsins.log (Backup fil, nothing done)
C:\WINDOWS\imsins.log

Log: Install: comsetup.log (Backup fil, nothing done)
C:\WINDOWS\comsetup.log

Log: Install: ocgen.log (Backup fil, nothing done)
C:\WINDOWS\ocgen.log

Log: Install: setupact.log (Backup fil, nothing done)
C:\WINDOWS\setupact.log

Log: Shutdown: System32\wbem\logs\wbemess.lo_ (Backup fil, nothing done)
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\logs\wbemess.lo_

Log: Shutdown: System32\wbem\logs\wbemess.log (Backup fil, nothing done)
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\logs\wbemess.log

Log: Shutdown: System32\wbem\logs\wmiprov.log (Backup fil, nothing done)
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\logs\wmiprov.log

Ahead Nero Burning Rom: [SBI $F3FD92E9] Working directory (Registerendring, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-329068152-789336058-1343024091-1003\Software\Ahead\Nero - Burning Rom\Settings\WorkingDir

Internet Explorer: [SBI $FF589D0C] Download directory (Registerendring, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-329068152-789336058-1343024091-1003\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Download Directory

MS Management Console: [SBI $ECD50EAD] Recent command list (2 filer) (Registernøkkel, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-329068152-789336058-1343024091-1003\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Management Console\Recent File List

MS Direct3D: [SBI $7FB7B83F] Most recent application (Registerendring, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Direct3D\MostRecentApplication\Name

MS Direct3D: [SBI $C2A44980] Most recent application (Registerendring, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-329068152-789336058-1343024091-1003\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D\MostRecentApplication\Name

MS DirectDraw: [SBI $EB49D5AF] Most recent application (Registerendring, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\MostRecentApplication\Name

Windows Explorer: [SBI $2026AFB6] User Assistant history IE (5 filer) (Registernøkkel, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-329068152-789336058-1343024091-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\{5E6AB780-7743-11CF-A12B-00AA004AE837}\Count

Windows Explorer: [SBI $6107D172] User Assistant history files (51 filer) (Registernøkkel, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-329068152-789336058-1343024091-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\{75048700-EF1F-11D0-9888-006097DEACF9}\Count

WinRAR: [SBI $B510882E] Extraction directory history (1 filer) (Registernøkkel, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-329068152-789336058-1343024091-1003\Software\WinRAR\DialogEditHistory\ExtrPath

Cookie: [SBI $49804B54] Cookie (42) (Cookie, nothing done)

Cache: [SBI $49804B54] Cache (4565) (Cache, nothing done)

History: [SBI $49804B54] Historie (538) (Historie, nothing done)

--- Spybot - Search & Destroy version: 1.5.2 (build: 20080128) ---

2008-01-28 blindman.exe (1.0.0.7)
2008-01-28 SDDelFile.exe (1.0.2.4)
2008-01-28 SDMain.exe (1.0.0.5)
2007-10-07 SDShred.exe (1.0.1.2)
2008-01-28 SDUpdate.exe (1.0.8.8)
2008-01-28 SDWinSec.exe (1.0.0.11)
2008-01-28 SpybotSD.exe (1.5.2.20)
2008-01-28 TeaTimer.exe (1.5.2.16)
2008-05-26 unins000.exe (51.49.0.0)
2008-01-28 Update.exe (1.4.0.6)
2008-01-28 advcheck.dll (1.5.4.5)
2007-04-02 aports.dll (2.1.0.0)
2007-11-17 DelZip179.dll (1.79.7.4)
2008-01-28 SDFiles.dll (1.5.1.19)
2008-01-28 SDHelper.dll (1.5.0.11)
2008-01-28 Tools.dll (2.1.3.3)
2008-06-17 Includes\Adware.sbi (*)
2008-06-18 Includes\AdwareC.sbi (*)
2008-06-03 Includes\Cookies.sbi (*)
2008-06-03 Includes\Dialer.sbi (*)
2008-06-24 Includes\DialerC.sbi (*)
2008-06-03 Includes\HeavyDuty.sbi (*)
2008-06-16 Includes\Hijackers.sbi (*)
2008-06-17 Includes\HijackersC.sbi (*)
2008-06-25 Includes\Keyloggers.sbi (*)
2008-06-24 Includes\KeyloggersC.sbi (*)
2004-11-29 Includes\LSP.sbi (*)
2008-06-24 Includes\Malware.sbi (*)
2008-06-24 Includes\MalwareC.sbi (*)
2008-06-17 Includes\PUPS.sbi (*)
2008-06-24 Includes\PUPSC.sbi (*)
2007-11-07 Includes\Revision.sbi (*)
2008-06-10 Includes\Security.sbi (*)
2008-06-18 Includes\SecurityC.sbi (*)
2008-06-03 Includes\Spybots.sbi (*)
2008-06-03 Includes\SpybotsC.sbi (*)
2008-06-17 Includes\Spyware.sbi (*)
2008-06-17 Includes\SpywareC.sbi (*)
2008-06-03 Includes\Tracks.uti (*)
2008-06-24 Includes\Trojans.sbi (*)
2008-06-25 Includes\TrojansC.sbi (*)
2008-03-04 Plugins\Chai.dll
2008-03-05 Plugins\Fennel.dll
2008-02-26 Plugins\Mate.dll
2007-12-24 Plugins\TCPIPAddress.dll

this comes from hphosts and i just ignore the entries experts-exchange.com and ask.com

when they recommend to not use registry cleaners in this forum then i am unsure if i should delete the usagetracks because almost everything found is in the registry. i have used glary utilities one time, and that corrupted one of my programs.

drragostea
2008-06-26, 21:04
Ooof. I'm not specialized in these areas *chuckle :red:.

However, I see there there was a HOSTS redirection...

Check your IE homepage. What is it?

Zenobia
2008-06-27, 00:08
There is a definition of usage tracks here:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/dictionary/usagetracks.html

and more info here:

Usage tracks allow any user with direct access to your machine to see what files you have worked on recently. If that user is you, those tracks are even a feature. There is no other harm done by usage tracks.

Usage tracks should be pretty safe to fix,I've done it for years and had no problems so far.But,you should do what you feel most comfortable doing,so if you'd rather not fix tracks,you could set Spybot to a spyware scan only by opening Spybot,click mode up top,then select Advanced Mode(say yes to the prompt.)Then,over to the left,click Settings,then File Sets.Rightclick somewhere in the window to the right,and select Spyware check only.You can return Spybot back to Default Mode,using Mode up top once again.

Or,if you'd prefer to still scan for tracks,but there are some you'd rather not fix,you could get Spybot to ignore that usage track.There is more about that here:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/exclude.html
And more info here:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/paragraphs/tutorial_exceptions.html
Or,you could just decide not to checkmark any usage tracks you don't want fixed.For example,if you wanted to keep your cookies,then you could leave Cookie unchecked.

Also,if you're looking at one of the tracks and would like more info about it,you could click it and then click the gray button to the right,Spybot sometimes has a description of that particular track.

When Spybot scans for tracks it just looks for specific things like mrus,cookies,logs,etc,anything tracks related.It's main goal isn't to 'clean' your registry,just tracks.
Registry cleaners are out to clean only the registry,and registry cleaners scan for a lot more things,like wrong app paths,unused file extensions,missing shared .dlls,obsolete software keys,etc.,etc.By my view,that opens up more margin for error.

Here,drragostea,the redirected hosts was explained by blues at the bottom of the post,you might have missed it. :)

this comes from hphosts and i just ignore the entries experts-exchange.com and ask.com

blues
2008-06-27, 11:58
my ie homepage is www.google.no

thanks Zenobia for the explanation.

i call me blue on the hphosts forum and have made a thread there about spybot and that hostsfile entries, i hope i havent written something on hphosts forum about spybot that offended someone, you can read it if you want. i think ask toolbar tracks users, so thats the reason why it is blocked by hphosts.

should i submit malicious sites on this forum so that it can be blocked by the spybot immunize?

i have stopped using ccleaner because i am afraid it will damage my computer like glary utilities did.

Terminator
2008-06-27, 12:25
I've been using CCleaner for 4 years now and it's NEVER caused me any problems, so long as you leave the "Advanced" section alone you can use it without any significant risks:eek:.

blues
2008-06-27, 13:40
i have never seen troubles either when using ccleaner, but some pictures on some sites dont show up after using it, but they come back later.

and another thing is if you dont know, adobe has a page where you can chang different options for flash, but i think i have read about ccleaner deleting the options you set in the flash control panel, but i cant find the thread or forum that i readed it on.

Zenobia
2008-06-27, 23:31
thanks Zenobia for the explanation.

You're welcome. :)

I think perhaps hphosts is a bit more strict in the sites they block than Spybot is.I personally would not like to see Spybot immunize or block some(some,not all)sites that hphosts does,but that is just my own personal opinion.

drragostea
2008-06-28, 04:38
Glary? Hm. It did find some entries. Quite alot. CCleaner does a good job for me.

I can't recommend CCleaner unless... it was for like installation problems.

Like Greyfox said in earlier posts, CCleaner would be like a chainsaw to a child. It means like it can be dangerous if not properly handled or used.

blues
2008-06-28, 14:02
yes, hphosts is more strict. but it block more ads than spybot, and we can submit malicious sites so they can be bloced.

where can i submit malicious sites to maybe be included in the spybot immunize? is it allowed? if not, why not?

drragostea: maybe only the registry cleaner in ccleaner is dangerous to use i dont know. i think it is a reason why microsoft and others place empty registry keys in the registry. but i dont think ccleaner is detecting such, but others do. who wants to buy tuneuputilities and such software that can possible screw up the computer? backups done by the programs wont always help if something is totally damaged. if that happens then formatting is the next and that takes a hole day to do for me. i dont need or want trackcleaners or registry cleaners. the only thing i do is not installing many software and i delete the temporary internet files from time to time so the antiviruses wont have to take so long time to scan the computer.

i only use as few software as possible, and java should never existed, it takes up space and i almost never need it other than with speed tests. i only use freeware but i dont know if freeware antiviruses is not so good as paid for ones but i are not scared for viruses and other malware but i use several protection software like spybot with immunize and bad download blocker, spywareblaster, mvps hosts, hphosts, and antivir. and hostsman wich i use because i like it and need it for using hostsfiles in the best way. i also use ad-aware but spybot ad-aware and antivir never find anything, and i have not had malware on the computer in several years. but spybot is detecting two entries from hphosts but they are probably false positives because i have asked about them in the hphosts forum.

why have antiviruses and antispyware running when they detect something maybe one time in a year, its like throwing money in the garbage if you ask me, i will never pay for something like that. i wish there wasnt so many evil people that make malware and sometimes force money from people, if it wasnt such people then we dont need security software. they probably have a lot of fun damaging computers, and spy on us, they cant have it good with themself.

Terminator
2008-06-28, 16:54
why have antiviruses and antispyware running when they detect something maybe one time in a year, its like throwing money in the garbage if you ask me, I will never pay for something like that. I wish there wasn't so many evil people that make malware and sometimes force money from people, if it wasnt for such people then we wouldn't need security software. they probably have a lot of fun damaging computers, and spy on us, they cant have it good with themself.

People like having peace of mind thats why they install anti virus and anti spyware software. In this day and age not securing your computer is suicide, in the last six months alone my free anti-virus program as stopped 3 viruses, 1 trojan and 1 Root-kit from ruining my day:police:.

Personally i'm glad my security software rarely finds anything:cool:.
Sometimes It's better for a scanner:cleaning: to find nothing then something.

blues
2008-06-28, 17:20
if i visit a malicious page and antivir detect malware on the page, that doesnt mean that i were to get it on the computer if i didnt have antivir, maybe antivir is just detecting a security hole that is being exploited, but the hole is really patched from microsoft.

one thing i dont like is when antispywares detect tracking cookies, why dont they block them as spybot does?

if you must pay to block tracking cookies then i think that is stupid, they scare people by detect tracking cookies and maybe some people think that the antispyware that detects most tracking cookies is the best, maybe some people dont know that tracking cookies is not malware.

spybot does it the right way and blocks them:)

if some one doesnt like tracking cookies they can activate cookies only on sites they trust because no antispyware detects all tracking cookies.

i dont take the time to drag the cookies slider up and down all the day.
if someone dont trust the sites they are visiting they can drag the internet zone security slider to high and set it to default maybe when visiting sites they trust, but that is just too much work for me, but it can be clever sometimes and even trusted sites can be hacked and try to install malware.

drragostea
2008-06-29, 04:02
yes, hphosts is more strict. but it block more ads than spybot, and we can submit malicious sites so they can be bloced.

where can i submit malicious sites to maybe be included in the spybot immunize? is it allowed? if not, why not?

drragostea: maybe only the registry cleaner in ccleaner is dangerous to use i dont know. i think it is a reason why microsoft and others place empty registry keys in the registry. but i dont think ccleaner is detecting such, but others do. who wants to buy tuneuputilities and such software that can possible screw up the computer? backups done by the programs wont always help if something is totally damaged. if that happens then formatting is the next and that takes a hole day to do for me. i dont need or want trackcleaners or registry cleaners. the only thing i do is not installing many software and i delete the temporary internet files from time to time so the antiviruses wont have to take so long time to scan the computer.

i only use as few software as possible, and java should never existed, it takes up space and i almost never need it other than with speed tests. i only use freeware but i dont know if freeware antiviruses is not so good as paid for ones but i are not scared for viruses and other malware but i use several protection software like spybot with immunize and bad download blocker, spywareblaster, mvps hosts, hphosts, and antivir. and hostsman wich i use because i like it and need it for using hostsfiles in the best way. i also use ad-aware but spybot ad-aware and antivir never find anything, and i have not had malware on the computer in several years. but spybot is detecting two entries from hphosts but they are probably false positives because i have asked about them in the hphosts forum.

why have antiviruses and antispyware running when they detect something maybe one time in a year, its like throwing money in the garbage if you ask me, i will never pay for something like that. i wish there wasnt so many evil people that make malware and sometimes force money from people, if it wasnt such people then we dont need security software. they probably have a lot of fun damaging computers, and spy on us, they cant have it good with themself.

I've never said anything about using CCleaner. I wouldn't bother with Glary and TuneUpUtilities. Bad thing is that back then before I joined this forum, I used to go OD on updates. Thinking that this "TuneUpUtility" optimizer might boost my PC, I tried it. It told me that "explorer.exe" was using too much memory and was not necessary. -.- I killed it, blind that explorer.exe was my desktop.

I don't really see how people purchase these software, thinking that they'll boost the speed.

Malware creators love making rogue software, to create panick to the victim, and steal sensitive information.

Tracking cookies are still in open debate. One side says that it's malicious, while others say it's not. In my personal opinion, I don't really think it's malicious, because it's just a file in your browser which can be cleaned with ease. However, some cookies like "tribalfusion" and "ad.yieldmanager" track your surf behavior. While this happens, other software or sites sell your email if you submit it, making it a great moment to make $$$ while spambots farm on your email. tribalfusion, burstmedia, blackcore, cpxinteractive, etc. are mostly caught by visiting... hm sites such as cheatcc(.)com or Neopets for example.

Quite some stuff these days. In 2002, malicious software and drive-by-downloads were a joke!

I don't see why you don't need Java. Well, I have to admit, not really a lot of programs and software run Java. Some do like online scanners like Housecall.
It doesn't take up memory/computer resources unless you are running it's updater. And trust me there won't be an update in 3 months or so. Java usually takes up around 120MB or so of drive space.

In my arsenal, I simply use avast! 4, SAS, Spybot-SD, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol +, and Comodo Pro.

For uninstallers I use REVO. Browsers are FF3 and IE7. I tested Safari and Opera 9.5... it was junk. -.-

blues
2008-06-29, 12:07
i thought you and terminator was the same person, because you both have a penguin picture.

Quite some stuff these days. In 2002, malicious software and drive-by-downloads were a joke!

in 2003 i dont think the windows firewall and microsoft updates was on by default, and i was going to warez sites and other bad sites and got lots of malware and a dialer, i finally got rid of the dialer and i went crazy and deleted all parts of the dialer i found, i was deleting it manually, but i dont recommend anybody deleting what they think are the malware manually because it may be files needed by the operating system.

i use antivir, and has stopped using avg because of linkscanner or what it is called, because it slowed down my google searches.

i dont trust superantispyware, but maybe without a reason and is not using it, spybot seems it is made from the heart (it is good i mean) and not for making money, i have thought about donating to spybot but i am not sure how i do it.

i had kazaa and didnt now it had included malware, but i saw something kalled gain on my computer wich was gator, and then someone downloaded ad-aware on my computer and it found lots of malware, then i visited a site called spywareinfo and learned a lot about malware from there, and there i found spybot and spywareblaster i think. and learned about the hostsfile from other sites, and in this year 2008 i think, i joined my first security forum and that was hphosts forum and made a thread there about spybot and the hostsfile. it is here if someone is interested: http://forum.hosts-file.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=430

is revo a point to have for people when not installing and uninstalling software all the time? i see it has other features too.

other firewalls than windows firewall is annoying i think, and windows firewall has never let anything in on my computer, but it lets everything go out.

idd00jea
2008-06-29, 16:56
When will be SpyBot S&D completely compatible with Windows Vista ?:D:

blues
2008-06-29, 17:01
i thought it was fully compatible with vista, but i dont have vista so i dont know.

Terminator
2008-06-29, 17:16
It is completely compatible with Vista and has been since 1.5.

drragostea
2008-06-29, 19:07
i thought you and terminator was the same person, because you both have a penguin picture.

in 2003 i dont think the windows firewall and microsoft updates was on by default, and i was going to warez sites and other bad sites and got lots of malware and a dialer, i finally got rid of the dialer and i went crazy and deleted all parts of the dialer i found, i was deleting it manually, but i dont recommend anybody deleting what they think are the malware manually because it may be files needed by the operating system.

i use antivir, and has stopped using avg because of linkscanner or what it is called, because it slowed down my google searches.

i dont trust superantispyware, but maybe without a reason and is not using it, spybot seems it is made from the heart (it is good i mean) and not for making money, i have thought about donating to spybot but i am not sure how i do it.

i had kazaa and didnt now it had included malware, but i saw something kalled gain on my computer wich was gator, and then someone downloaded ad-aware on my computer and it found lots of malware, then i visited a site called spywareinfo and learned a lot about malware from there, and there i found spybot and spywareblaster i think. and learned about the hostsfile from other sites, and in this year 2008 i think, i joined my first security forum and that was hphosts forum and made a thread there about spybot and the hostsfile. it is here if someone is interested: http://forum.hosts-file.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=430

is revo a point to have for people when not installing and uninstalling software all the time? i see it has other features too.

other firewalls than windows firewall is annoying i think, and windows firewall has never let anything in on my computer, but it lets everything go out.

Well I have to agree, because AVG's LinkScanner does take some time to scan. I personally use McAfee SiteAdvisor 26.6.
--
blues, Terminator and drragostea are the same person. I use the Tahoma font.
--

blues, malware is not installed onto your computer just like that. It's user decision. Sometimes careless mistakes are responsible. Keygens and cracks, I'm sure it's 100% infested with trojans.

Trust me I know. I've purposely attempted to infect my computer, because I've never had a infection before. (I planned to reformat anyways). I downloaded AVG 8.0 IS with firewall. AVG warned me of a "IRCBot".

Really, you got to know how to distinguish some stuff. A zipped movie, say like Simpsons: The Movie, for only 133 kbs? Com'on think about it.

Actually, I do like SAS. I would say it's pretty strong. I hated it one time, but after removing SmitFraud on my aunt's badly infected computer, no more pop-ups. I was like O.O. I'm not recommending it, just a review.

Window's default built-in firewall wouldn't be that strong. I would say it's average, compared to a piece of paper. Anything could get through. Not anything. :P I use Comodo Pro, despite the countless pop-ups it's given me. Comodo Pro aced the leak tests ^_^.

Kazaa is bundled with malware.

I use REVO UNINSTALLER because the default Add/Remove Programs window leaves stuff behind.

blues
2008-06-29, 19:17
i dont understand what you mean by using Tahoma font, are you using two nicknames?

drragostea
2008-06-29, 19:25
I think you're just slow. ;)
drragostea (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=34880)
Terminator (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=12307)

Do you get it now?

TAHOMA is the font I'm using now.

blues
2008-06-30, 10:07
i dont understand, i feel stupid. but i wont bother you with it anymore:)

you both joined at different times, and is active on same days sometimes:scratch:

a font is some sort of script looks i think, but i dont know.

sorry for my misspellings, i am Norwegian

blues
2008-06-30, 11:44
drragostea: malware can be automatically installed on the computer just by visiting malicious sites, in 2003 when i got lots of malware , i wasnt getting questions about if i want to install something from the websites, it was automatically installed without me knowing it, and i wasnt doing anything, i am not talking about the malware i got from kazaa now.

i will just say NEVER download software from filsharing sites/networks almost everything i have downloaded includes malware, but most are trojans, i have almost never seen viruses but they could be hidden from the antiviruses, i dont know. most of the trojans where found using antivir, avg and avast and a-squared was detecting more trojans than the other antispywares, but they may be false positives. it wasnt so easy to test the files and cds with pirated software and keygens with spybot because it cant scan cds and dvds, and it didnt scan the download folder from utorrent, i dont know why, maybe spybot doesnt scan everything, and it doesnt have rightclick scan.

drragostea
2008-06-30, 18:38
Alright, blues to first answer your questions.
Terminator and I use different avatars. This means icons for our profiles. We can't be the same person if you joined at different dates and have different signatures can we?

The above is Tahoma font. This font is the font used by Terminator. See?

Why the heck were you testing crack and pirated CD's? You know, technically it's illegal to be using or distributing pirated or cracked versions (of anything).

P2P and file sharing is definitely a NOT must.
--
http://forums.whatthetech.com/We_do_not_support_t92527.html
--

It's a 100% (make the 110%) guarantee that any crack or keygen is infested with malware. I used to say: "You don't get free stuff by not doing anything".

Well of course, Kaspersky's $39.00 (USD) Internet Security Suites are not there to download for free. Of course there's a price.

Terminator
2008-06-30, 18:45
Alright, blues to first answer your questions.
Terminator and I use different avatars. This means icons for our profiles. We can't be the same person if you joined at different dates and have different signatures can we?

Why the heck were you testing crack and pirated CD's? You know, technically it's illegal to be using or distributing pirated or cracked versions (of anything).

P2P and file sharing is definitely a NOT must.
--
http://forums.whatthetech.com/We_do_not_support_t92527.html
--

It's a 100% (make the 110%) guarantee that any crack or keygen is infested with malware. I used to say: "You don't get free stuff by not doing anything".

Well of course, Kaspersky's $39.00 (USD) Internet Security Suites are not there to download for free. Of course there's a price.

I couldn't have put it better myself:laugh:.

drragostea
2008-06-30, 20:10
Terminator changed their LOCATION. ;D

I wonder what LV-426 is :P.

Terminator
2008-06-30, 20:21
Terminator changed their LOCATION. ;D

I wonder what LV-426 is :P.

LV-426 is the name of the planet in the Alien Series where the Aliens were found.

drragostea
2008-06-30, 20:41
Sci-Fi series? I knew it x].

I thought it was something like the codenames that NASA gives unknown planets. Such as Pegasi-52.

blues
2008-06-30, 21:06
i tested patched software, cracks and keygens for fun, i wanted to see what security software found the most malware, is a test illegal? i think not.

drragostea
2008-06-30, 21:16
Yea, I used to do that once. To see how AVG responded and how the stuff worked. I never said it was illegal to test it. But to distribute it.

blues
2008-06-30, 21:31
antiviruses also detect pirated software even when they are malware free, just because it is illegal. however that is not what antiviruses should do, they are not antipiracysoftware. not all software on filesharing networks is infected, but i would not recommend anyone to use it anyway. the worst of all to download is software packs with 30 or even hundreds of software, thats my experience when testing. maybe something is not infected, but it may cause unenspected behaviour on the computer.

maybe i was doing something illegal, because when downloading torrents you are sharing the parts you get from other people before you have finished the download.:oops:

drragostea
2008-06-30, 21:38
There were some problems with users accidentally putting their "My Documents" into the Sharing Folders. Then there were some cases of identity theft.

I'm not so sure if AV's are anti-piracy softwares. However, I do believe it is right to detect pirated software. User's shouldn't even have it in the first place. In some cases the software does work, take Adobe Photoshop for instance, but it comes with a price.

No AV or AS (anti-spyware) is invincible.
--
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z276/Shockwavesn1per/Windows_XP__Pirated_Edition.jpg
--
;D

blues
2008-06-30, 22:01
its the opposite to me the shared folder is in my documents.

so do you have downloaded a adobe photoshop that works? it sounds you are doing something you shouldnt :police: :laugh: not every downloadable photoshop works, but i have not downloaded it so i dont know, its a guess.

i have that xp edition too:) i am just kidding.

drragostea
2008-07-01, 00:51
its the opposite to me the shared folder is in my documents.

so do you have downloaded a adobe photoshop that works? it sounds you are doing something you shouldnt :police: :laugh: not every downloadable photoshop works, but i have not downloaded it so i dont know, its a guess.

i have that xp edition too:) i am just kidding.

First of all blues let me make this clear. I have never executed any pirated or cracked software and I never will. What I said about Adobe Photoshop was just merely a guess. I don't really have any use for it. I don't plan to purchase it because it's too expensive.
--
:P Pirated Edition. Haha. It's just a modified boot screen made from painting tools. It's not real.

Though I've heard this edition called Windows XP "Black Edition". DON'T TRY it. I wouldn't suggest Googling it either. It's a illegal bunch of cracked software bundled into one.

blues
2008-07-01, 11:04
i downloaded some of the xp black editions just to test if i found malware on it, and many of the bundled software was infected. sadly, it wasnt possible to test the cds/dvds with spybot, it would have been fun to test spybot too to see what malware it found. i dont have the cds/dvds now. i dont understand why they put a lot of work on making such modified xp editions, and then put in malware afterwards.

great if spybot would have right click scanning and was able to scan all drives like the dvd drives, i will put that in the suggestions forum.

it is not great to download one software from a single person you trust either, i mean from torrent sites, because they have possibly downloaded them from dangerous warez sites.

drragostea
2008-07-01, 12:26
I think Spybot-SD 1.6 integrates the "right-click" scanning. Like scanning individual files.

Why create a modified version? Simple. Answer is to attract unaware user so the malware can be installed. This "commonly" turns the user's computer into a "zombie". If not, it plagues the user with a backdoor possibly or use the compromised PC's bandwidth and redirect it's traffic to a malicious server so all bits of data is transmitted to the malware creator first.

Some users might ask why not write viruses and malware for Mac? In my perspective, the Windows OS is most commonly used. Like used by a majority of netizens. In addition, the Windows OS is so-called the "easiest" to study and learn and it also has its vulnerabilities.

blues clues ;D

blues
2008-07-01, 13:32
I think Spybot-SD 1.6 integrates the "right-click" scanning. Like scanning individual files

thanks for telling:)

spybot is the funniest antispyware to use, because of the tools, but it havent found any malware yet in my computer in the last years but some years ago if i remember right it found some malware, but i dont remember it exactly.

but it found a trojan that according to the description causes bufferowerflows, and maybe some more, this was in 2007 or 2008 i think. i dont remember exactly what antimalware software i used, but i think it was this ones: spybot, a-squared, spywareterminator, ad-aware, malwarebytesantimalware, superantispyware, and the antiviruses antivir, avg, and avast. i think almost everyone of them found something the others didnt. spybot was the only one that found the bufferowerflow trojan. all this was in the test, it was in a folder with cracks, pirated software and patches. it seemed that the antiviruses detected more trojans than the antimalwares. but maybe some of the detections are false positives, i dont have the knowledge to know. some of them detected the same as the others.

i dont know how many antimalware i need, but everyone detect some that the others dont detect. it is a pain to have several antimalwares because it will take a hole day to scan with everyone of them. i search through the computer every sunday and updates all my other software then.

drragostea
2008-07-01, 13:43
How the heck is Spybot-SD the "funniest" anti-spyware program you used?

Spybot does not scan for viruses. It scans for spyware, malware, trojans, bots, worms, and some rookits. I believe AV's scan for viruses and trojans. However, some AV's these days include rookit and spyware scanning.

I really don't think you need all those tools. MalwareBye's AM, is only used for infected computers. In my opinion, this goes for SAS too. I find SAS quite useful because I was surprised (in a good way) that it purged SmitFraud from my aunt's PC. However, the updates seem to be slowing down a bit.

If testing cracked software was fun, then we wouldn't have any firewalls and AV's. Just jk.

I just browsed through some torrent site. I wasn't downloading though, just to see what people were downloading.

*Sigh. What made be laugh was people downloading a cracked version of Adobe Reader 9 Pro + Keygen.

I'm sure those keygens never work. Though I never tried one.

:laugh: I plan to when I've backed up all by data and plan to reformat.

blues
2008-07-01, 14:18

what other freeware antispyware has such tools like spybot? i havent found one yet. but some has some small tools.

someone also downloads spybot from torrents i can see, and even other freeware. i always download freeware from the authors sites, or from www . download .com

MalwareBye's AM, is only used for infected computers.

i didnt know that. thats strange. so you should buy mbam only when you know you are infected?

how do i make Quotes? after i have finished and submitted what i wrote?

drragostea
2008-07-01, 17:07

what other freeware antispyware has such tools like spybot? i havent found one yet. but some has some small tools.

someone also downloads spybot from torrents i can see, and even other freeware. i always download freeware from the authors sites, or from www . download .com

MalwareBye's AM, is only used for infected computers.

i didnt know that. thats strange. so you should buy mbam only when you know you are infected?

how do i make Quotes? after i have finished and submitted what i wrote?

Ah, that's nice. I see. I just find it funny that people are purposely (or accidentally) infecting their computer which freeware which they can download in a minute. Torrents take forever :P.
--
Actually you can use MBAM free of charge. You can purchase the software for it's full potential. Is your computer having malware problems?
--

Under by post there will be a button: QUOTE. Next to it will be big quotation marks.

blues
2008-07-01, 17:35
Ah, that's nice. I see. I just find it funny that people are purposely (or accidentally) infecting their computer which freeware which they can download in a minute. Torrents take forever :P.
--
Actually you can use MBAM free of charge. You can purchase the software for it's full potential. Is your computer having malware problems?
--

Under by post there will be a button: QUOTE. Next to it will be big quotation marks.

i have just found out some strange entries or what it is called with hijackthis, they are also in the spybot startuplist. but i dont have symptoms of malware, only ie7 freezing on some webpages, it may be my display driver that is buggy, i cant waste the time the experts in the malware removal forums have with the strange entries when not having symptoms of malware on the computer. i must use the default microsoft driver, or else everything is unreadable. there is also a black bar on right of the screen after formatting, but that may be because of sp2, sp1 worked great but someone installed sp2 on my computer when they were fixing it so i dont know if sp2 is the problem. i think i have read on the laptopvideo2go page that this is a problem with some toshiba laptops. the driver on the toshiba page is the same that i have on my disc. i dont download new drivers, it is just a pain to install all of them one by one. i can make it fullscreen and the black bar is then disappearing, but the picture and text quality is not good.

should i post a log in the malware removal forum? or is that just going to waste their time?

Terminator
2008-07-01, 17:46
I have a problem with IE7 freezing on some pages and on 1 of them (that I know about) it's the phishing filter that's the problem, turn it off and the page loads but leave it on and it crashes

blues
2008-07-01, 18:13
I have a problem with IE7 freezing on some pages and on 1 of them (that I know about) it's the phishing filter that's the problem, turn it off and the page loads but leave it on and it crashes

i personally dont like the phising filter, but i have never thought of that, maybe that is the cause. if i dont use mvpshosts, hphosts and spybot hostsfiles then it is getting worse and the (what do you call it (fan?) is always making noise on some pages, when there is ads or maybe flash ads on the sites. i think the hostsfiles and immunize in spybot and spywareblaster is better than the microsoft phishingfilter. i have yet to see a page being blocked by the phishing filter.

elshorbagy
2008-07-01, 18:27
Hello,
this program xmlwin.dll is an dangerous adware.It adds a registry key to windows registry,and every time you open your win explorer,it open a warning message and redirect you to an antivirus website.Please add it to your database.
if you are infected with it, remove this file and key manually :

Infection:
c:\windows\system32\xmlwin.dll
Browser Cache
Registry:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B1892F58-1116-4DEC-92AA-577872EC3D3D}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{B1892F58-1116-4DEC-92AA-577872EC3D3D}

thank you

blues
2008-07-01, 18:40
Hello,
this program xmlwin.dll is an dangerous adware.It adds a registry key to windows registry,and every time you open your win explorer,it open a warning message and redirect you to an antivirus website.Please add it to your database.
if you are infected with it, remove this file and key manually :

Infection:
c:\windows\system32\xmlwin.dll
Browser Cache
Registry:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B1892F58-1116-4DEC-92AA-577872EC3D3D}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{B1892F58-1116-4DEC-92AA-577872EC3D3D}

thank you

if it isnt detected by spybot you should submit it, look at this: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1699

drragostea
2008-07-02, 01:48
I recall that either it was SmitFraud or Zlob that redirects you to those "misleading" sites and changes the HOSTS file so the user cannot access security websites. But I'm sure that SmitFraud bombards the user's desktop with pop-ups.

blues, I would suggest fixing the entries with HiJack This, unless you are really sure what you're doing.

I don't think it can be a malware intervening with the display, so save the time in the Malware Forums.

I think the drivers may be a problem. Yes, it's tedious but it's worth your time. 'Better safe than sorry' (like go the extra step). Microsoft Updates/Windows Update offers driver updates for your display card, modem, and sound drivers. You should definitely check it out.

Confirm the source of Windows XP SP2. Was it from Windows Update?

blues
2008-07-02, 09:38
I recall that either it was SmitFraud or Zlob that redirects you to those "misleading" sites and changes the HOSTS file so the user cannot access security websites. But I'm sure that SmitFraud bombards the user's desktop with pop-ups.

blues, I would suggest fixing the entries with HiJack This, unless you are really sure what you're doing.

I don't think it can be a malware intervening with the display, so save the time in the Malware Forums.

I think the drivers may be a problem. Yes, it's tedious but it's worth your time. 'Better safe than sorry' (like go the extra step). Microsoft Updates/Windows Update offers driver updates for your display card, modem, and sound drivers. You should definitely check it out.

Confirm the source of Windows XP SP2. Was it from Windows Update?

the display driver on the toshiba page is the same as the one i has on my cd, i have tried it and found that out. the other newer drivers for other things on the computer hasnt fixed the problem. toshiba wont update the drivers for my computer anymore because they have put them in their archives. i have got sp2 from windows update. the only driver microsoft update/windows update have is for my network card. i should download the newer drivers from toshiba again but it wont help me because i have tried exactly that drivers before.

the only thing microsoft update has is microsoft silverlight and exactly the same network card driver that toshiba have, but no sites that i know about use silverlight, but downloading silverlight wont fix my problem. silverlight is such a thing like flash i think.

i wont damage my computer by fixing the hijackthis entries when i dont know what it is. i think it isnt allowed to post my hijackthis log here, but doing that would help me. is it allowed? what should i do with this? two of the entries does belong to something i have had on the computer before, but i dont know if i should fix that ones. it isnt malware. the other entries i dont know what is.

i succesfully removed a chinese toolbar with hijackthis some years ago, the entry i found couldnt be other thing other than the toolbar. the toolbar installed through an exploit i think. i have just some little knowledge what to fix with hijackthis.

is it really necessary to download the drivers? do you use to download new drivers?

drragostea
2008-07-02, 17:41
Chinese toolbar? Do you mean 'Baidu'?

Microsoft Silverlight, heck, has nothing to do with any of your problems. It's just like Adobe Flash. Just that it requires you to run it to see specific Microsoft websites such as the Silverlight itself. Personally, I don't see any use for it.

Second, this forum does not allow HiJack logs to be posted anywhere with the exception of the Malware Forums.
--
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1266
--
You said you have two entries? I don't I can help because even if you did post it, I cannot give you malware solutions to it.

Well, you're story about the Toshiba sounds a lot like another thread... :laugh: it was about HP updates. To the point:
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_home.jsp
http://copiers.toshiba.com/support/drivers/drivers.shtml
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modSel.jsp
http://www.toshiba.com/tai/

Alright, I found some links to the drivers. What drivers you have, I have no idea, and it's all up to you.

As for me, I received a driver update for my modem, graphics card, and something else. I forgot the third one. However, on other computer's I've seen updates for sound cards too. However, Microsoft/Windows Update does not offer updates and drivers for all products as it will be time consuming.
--

blues
2008-07-02, 18:23
Chinese toolbar? Do you mean 'Baidu'?

Microsoft Silverlight, heck, has nothing to do with any of your problems. It's just like Adobe Flash. Just that it requires you to run it to see specific Microsoft websites such as the Silverlight itself. Personally, I don't see any use for it.

Second, this forum does not allow HiJack logs to be posted anywhere with the exception of the Malware Forums.
--
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1266
--
You said you have two entries? I don't I can help because even if you did post it, I cannot give you malware solutions to it.

Well, you're story about the Toshiba sounds a lot like another thread... :laugh: it was about HP updates. To the point:
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_home.jsp
http://copiers.toshiba.com/support/drivers/drivers.shtml
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modSel.jsp
http://www.toshiba.com/tai/

Alright, I found some links to the drivers. What drivers you have, I have no idea, and it's all up to you.

As for me, I received a driver update for my modem, graphics card, and something else. I forgot the third one. However, on other computer's I've seen updates for sound cards too. However, Microsoft/Windows Update does not offer updates and drivers for all products as it will be time consuming.
--

i dont know if it was baidu, i think i had ad-aware and spybot at that time, but they didnt detect anything so i had no other choice but fixing it with hijackthis.

i already know were the drivers are, but thanks:)

it seems i maybe are getting help in another forum with my hijackthis log. i will scan my computer with several antimalware software. the only scanners i have is the antivirus antivir, and ad-aware and spybot. antivir didnt find anything, i have not tried ad-aware and spybot yet, but used them not long ago.

drragostea
2008-07-02, 22:00
Why in the world will you start another thread? Having malware troubles?

If you knew where the driver updates were you wouldn't have mentioned it in the first place. Can you update the drivers?

Run a full scan with Ad-Aware and Spybot-SD. The latest version of AdAware is AdAware 2008.

blues
2008-07-02, 23:25
Why in the world will you start another thread? Having malware troubles?

If you knew where the driver updates were you wouldn't have mentioned it in the first place. Can you update the drivers?

Run a full scan with Ad-Aware and Spybot-SD. The latest version of AdAware is AdAware 2008.

didnt you see this?: the driver on the toshiba page is the same that i have on my disc. (the display driver)

so i know where the drivers are. and i downloaded a bios update from toshiba a while ago that according to them should be newer than the bios i have, but when trying to install it it told me that i have the latest bios. the information about when the drivers were updated is wrong because what seems to be new is the same drivers that i have.

i will see if i download the drivers again, but i will format my computer first, but i will not format in some weeks i think.

drragostea
2008-07-03, 00:19
Having malware troubles?

Are you having some problems with malware? Is it on your PC?

blues
2008-07-03, 12:00
Are you having some problems with malware? Is it on your PC?

spybot detected this on my computer: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30395 so it seems some software or something changed the setting, i hope it is not malware that changed it. i have been getting help in another forum, i posted a hijackthis log on that forum, no malware or suspicious entries were found by the person who helped me said. but it seems that hijackthis didnt detect this change, hijackthis should maybe check more on the computer than it does. i wonder what software on my computer changed this setting, or maybe a malicious website did it. i will run several malwares scanners on my computer.

i found this on a website:
When you encounter a Web page that is trying to run active content on your computer, you will receive a message prompting you to indicate whether you want to allow this. If you are certain that you want to allow the Web page to run ActiveX controls or scripts, click Yes in the message box. By clicking Yes, you allow the active content to run on the Web page you’re viewing, but only on that occasion. If you leave the page and return to it later, you will receive the message again (because you did not change the setting that allows active content to run on your computer).

WORKAROUND
In some cases, say when you're building and testing a webpage locally (Local Machine Zone), you may still see the Information Bar when the web page executes any script, initiates a Pop-up windows, or a download. To totally disable the Local Machine Zone restriction (for running Active Content) (not recommended, though) for valid reasons, read below:

To allow any Web site to run scripts and ActiveX controls on your computer:

In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll down to the Security section of the list. Select the Allow active content to run in files on My Computer check box, and then click OK.

not from the website: so as i understand this allows any website on the web to run active content on the computer, i will say that i am glad that spybot detected this as i dont look at the advanced tab in internet explorer everyday.

drragostea
2008-07-03, 21:19
I've read that thread too. I think it has to do with something with SP3. I think it's something with IE6, although I'm not so sure.

In my opinion, I don't think it's malicious. You have a firewall? How about AV (anti-virus)?

If you've answered this question before, then ignore it. I'm just having some trouble keeping track of every thread.

blues
2008-07-03, 22:22
I've read that thread too. I think it has to do with something with SP3. I think it's something with IE6, although I'm not so sure.

In my opinion, I don't think it's malicious. You have a firewall? How about AV (anti-virus)?

If you've answered this question before, then ignore it. I'm just having some trouble keeping track of every thread.

i think it is confusing sometimes to read all threads and remember where to reply, because i read almost every new thread but i am not reading so much in the malware removal forum.

i have antivir and use the windows xp firewall. have just scanned my computer with all this software: ad-aware, spywareterminator, a-squared, superantispyware and malwarebytes antimalware. none of them found malware on the computer but some of them found tracking cookies and usage tracks. i changed the settings in the programs to the best settings possible like full scan and other things. but i didnt change the default heuristic setting in antivir from medium to high because deleting what it finds when doing that may maybe harm the computer.

i use only spybot, ad-aware and spywareblaster of the antispywares. and hphosts, mvpshosts and hostsman to avoid seeing annoying ads and to block malicious sites. i dont have other protection than all this, but i have tried several security products with hips and bad behavior blocking software like threatfire.

i too may have asked you this but what security software do you use? how are they to use?

drragostea
2008-07-03, 22:29
No offense to you, blues. But in my opinion... you're OD-ing on software security. That's just "kiddy" term.

In other words, you are acting paranoid.

SAS and MBAM are used for infected computer, let's say heavily infected computers. Personally, I only use SAS Free to catch the things that my other AS's and AV missed. I liked SAS's ability to remove SmitFraud so that's why I kept it.

What I would say to you is that: Never EVER use more than one Anti-virus or firewall. All that will do is cause more trouble.

I use the ADBLOCK PLUS add-on in Firefox, so it mostly "negates" the flashy and annoying banners and ads from most websites. Like those who say "Find your classmates from 1985!" and etc. I use Spybot-Search&Destroy 1.5.2.20 for HOSTS protection.

I also use Comodo's BOCLEAN and Bill P's WinPatrol +.

For a firewall I use Comodo Pro firewall and avast! 4.8 for anti-virus.

Now keep in mind, I am not offering any solutions.

blues
2008-07-04, 00:49
No offense to you, blues. But in my opinion... you're OD-ing on software security. That's just "kiddy" term.

In other words, you are acting paranoid.

SAS and MBAM are used for infected computer, let's say heavily infected computers. Personally, I only use SAS Free to catch the things that my other AS's and AV missed. I liked SAS's ability to remove SmitFraud so that's why I kept it.

What I would say to you is that: Never EVER use more than one Anti-virus or firewall. All that will do is cause more trouble.

I use the ADBLOCK PLUS add-on in Firefox, so it mostly "negates" the flashy and annoying banners and ads from most websites. Like those who say "Find your classmates from 1985!" and etc. I use Spybot-Search&Destroy 1.5.2.20 for HOSTS protection.

I also use Comodo's BOCLEAN and Bill P's WinPatrol +.

For a firewall I use Comodo Pro firewall and avast! 4.8 for anti-virus.

Now keep in mind, I am not offering any solutions.

the only thing that was detected was the malware that i have in the folder, but i dont count that because the malware was not executed/installed on the computer, right now the malware is in two zip files and two rar files inside another zip file. this is what was detected in the folder: spybot detected a trojan, this scanners detected nothing: spywareterminator, malwarebytes antimalware, and superantispyware. antivir detected 2 trojans a worm and a heuristic detection wich is a hacktool. a-squared detected the same hacktool, ad-aware also detected the hacktool.

they are not false positives. i understand that some detect what others miss, and the ones that detected nothing could have found things the others missed against other malware but i was surprised to see them not detecting anything.

i have tried boclean and winpatrol, but i have lost the trust in comodo when they have added ask toolbar in Comodo Firewall, i dont know if you can avoid installing the toolbar but i will not try comodo products again. i have heard that ask toolbar spyes on people. i will not use one software that add toolbars to their products even if the toolbars are useful. they should have made their own toolbars instead of using toolbars from a third party, but it is all about money. i have tried winpatrol too but didnt like it it warned about every software i installed, it should have a whitelist, so i dont have any antispyware realtimeprotection and the other freeware ones with realtime protection is not my taste. i will never buy security software, i will never know if it would work on my computer, i have had norton internet security but couldnt connect to internet all the times because of it and it slowed down the computer to much. there is no point for me to buy something that detect something once in a year and slows down the computer all the other time.

avast is good, i like it better than avg but it requires registration. i like antivir best and dont care about the big ad it shows every time i update it.

i have never used more than one antivirus and firewall.

drragostea
2008-07-04, 02:04
You don't trust in a software just because it promotes a tool bar ; ). What I don't like about SAS's individual file scanner is that it simply doesn't work. It's crippled. It takes some secs to scan a file. And it reports as 1 file scanned.

Actually the toolbar is created by Comodo theirselves, just that the search engine is based on Ask.com.

WinPatrol doesn't warn about EVERY software installed ; ). You're misunderstanding. It usually has less prompts than TeaTimer.
--

...i will never buy security software, i will never know if it would work on my computer...

What you're saying is false. When you purchase the software it prompts the SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS. That way you won't purchase something accidentally.

I don't buy security software because the suites are more like memory giants. : )

blues
2008-07-04, 11:53
You don't trust in a software just because it promotes a tool bar ; ). What I don't like about SAS's individual file scanner is that it simply doesn't work. It's crippled. It takes some secs to scan a file. And it reports as 1 file scanned.

Actually the toolbar is created by Comodo theirselves, just that the search engine is based on Ask.com.

WinPatrol doesn't warn about EVERY software installed ; ). You're misunderstanding. It usually has less prompts than TeaTimer.
--

What you're saying is false. When you purchase the software it prompts the SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS. That way you won't purchase something accidentally.

I don't buy security software because the suites are more like memory giants. : )

when i scanned a file with sas it rapported that only one file was scanned, but there was several files inside.

what they say about system requirements doesnt matter if it doesnt work on my computer, even if having a computer that meets the requirements. yes some of them use very much memory.

drragostea
2008-07-05, 06:54
Depends on how much memory you have. Nowadays, RAM can be purchased for a reasonable price. I think it was $70.00 USD for 2GB of RAm. The hard part would be installing it.

rapported? Don't you mean reported? That's the odd thing... you take some MBs of file and let SAS scan it and it reports only one file. :-/.

Depends on what software. Describe what you mean when you say "...doesn't matter if it doesn't work on your computer...". In what way does it not "work". There's gotta be a reason.

blues
2008-07-05, 12:56
Depends on how much memory you have. Nowadays, RAM can be purchased for a reasonable price. I think it was $70.00 USD for 2GB of RAm. The hard part would be installing it.

rapported? Don't you mean reported? That's the odd thing... you take some MBs of file and let SAS scan it and it reports only one file. :-/.

Depends on what software. Describe what you mean when you say "...doesn't matter if it doesn't work on your computer...". In what way does it not "work". There's gotta be a reason. i ment reported. i couldnt connect to the internet at all sometimes when using norton internet security, it was also slower than other antiviruses/antispywares and i dont care about firewalls like the one norton have, if some malware doesnt get in on the computer it doesnt get out, but it may be a additional layer of security anyway with such firewalls so it is good to have for some people. i want utorrent and other programs to work perfectly without getting cryptic messages about everything and cant connect with utorrent because i have denied some message from the firewall and cant understand how to revert what i have denied. some security software just scares people, like the antispywares that detect tracking cookies and call them high risk so people think they have REAL malware on the computer. but you must pay for some of them to use immunizers like spybot have. i know about only this free programs that have immunizers for free: spybot, spywareblaster and spywareterminator and of course the hostsfiles, but some of the free ones also have realtime protection but that ones acually RUN, but the bad download blocker also run but have not slowed down ie7 for me. the only thing that runs on my computer and is HELPING to block ads and malicious and tracking sites is hostsman, (hostsman doesnt block anything without the third party hostsfiles) because without it the hostsfiles doesnt work properly and everything slows down and ugly error messages from ie7 shows up when something is blocked with the hostsfiles. so i use its server to avoiding the error messages. but when updating the hostsfiles with hostsman we should use the setting: default action overwrite, or else the hostsfile will grow endlessly. when updating the hostsfiles spybots hostsfile is deleted so it should be merged with the others everytime they are updated with hostsman, but that is the users choice. in my opinion the dns client should be disabled or set to manual so nothing will slow down, but i dont know if that setting is recommended on all operating systems but it works perfectly to me on xp. i recommend they who use hostsfiles to read about the dns client on the web, but it could be confusing for some when different sites has their own opinion about the dns client.

it isnt possible on my computer to buy and use more RAM. i will buy a newer computer some other time.

why isnt EVERY trusted antispyware used in the malware removal forum? does hijackthis detect the most of the malware? almost everyone of them is detecting malware the others dont. i understand that it would be time consuming.

drragostea
2008-07-05, 20:13
...but you must pay for some of them to use immunizers like spybot have.

why isnt EVERY trusted antispyware used in the malware removal forum? does hijackthis detect the most of the malware? almost everyone of them is detecting malware the others dont. i understand that it would be time consuming.

Spybot is a donateware. It's free and whether you wish to donate or not is up to you.

HiJack This is specifically used as a "diagnostic" tool. It scans for running processes, services, startup, IE, etc. It is not used to remove malware. This tools gives "information" about the computer. Then how would malware experts help the victim if they do not know what's on the computer? They don't have the time to remotely help them.
--
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=16806
--

No two infections are the same and no two computers are the same. Keep that in mind.

Trusted antispyware? In my opinion, running EVERY tool will simply be too difficult as it is time consuming. Not all users are computer literate. Running ALL the tools will be just difficult to comprehend.