PDA

View Full Version : Spybot-S&D 1.6, Release Candidate 1

PepiMK
2008-06-28, 22:40
Since Firefox 3 and Opera 9.5 support are much asked for, further speed improvements have been postponed (expect some beta update for advcheck.dll as soon as 1.6 is out though :) ) and we're trying to close in on the final version.

New in this release candidate is for example LASSH support for TeaTimer (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=270); in short words that means TeaTimer will now longer ask about every single registry change it does not recognize as pointing to a bad file, but will instead use the RunAlyzer LASSH database to automatically recognize and accept or deny nearly 400,000 different startup entries. This database has also been made available here on the forum, including an option for helpers to help rating new entries. Feedback on this would be appreciated.

The second new thing is that the Windows Explorer property dialog tab has been replaced by a stand-alone application (thanks to everyone insisting on this wish :) ) since the former was not very flexible and caused problems for some people. Instead, there is now a file/folder scanner with its own option in the context menu of files, which runs on 64 bit Windows as well (which the former solution didn't), should probably load its database somewhat faster, and allows drag'n'drop for scanning further files. Again, feedback would be welcome, especially from those who had problems with the former solution, but also about it in general.

spybotsd160-rc1.exe (http://www.spybotupdates.biz/files/spybotsd160-rc1.exe)

Ivan1981
2008-06-28, 23:10
Immunization in FF3 is working corectly as I can see, and scan speed has decreased from beta 2.
RC1 is almost as fast as beta 1, and this is great.

Ivan1981
2008-06-28, 23:28
I was wrong about speed of scan.Only the first scan was fast, others were not.Scan time is like in beta 2.

Broken Hope
2008-06-29, 00:46
Usage track removal isn't working for FF3 cookies, it picks them up to be deleted but when you select them and tell Spybot to delete them it doesn't actually do it.

Zer0 Voltage
2008-06-29, 05:11
The second new thing is that the Windows Explorer property dialog tab has been replaced by a stand-alone application (thanks to everyone insisting on this wish :) ) since the former was not very flexible and caused problems for some people. Instead, there is now a file/folder scanner with its own option in the context menu of files, which runs on 64 bit Windows as well (which the former solution didn't), should probably load its database somewhat faster, and allows drag'n'drop for scanning further files. Again, feedback would be welcome, especially from those who had problems with the former solution, but also about it in general.[/URL]

Sorry, but where is the context menu entry for this? Must we do something to enable it?

I can launch the new SDFiles.exe program manually and then d'n'd to it successfully, but no context menu entry (or setting to enable one) that I can find.

Just for the record, this new mini-interface is excellent. Much, much better solution. And unlike with the properties panel tab, I do now see the separate "Malware" and "Heuristic" sections properly (even on XP). The ability to resize this new interface is also a big plus over the previous method.

Thanks!

:2thumb:

Zer0 Voltage
2008-06-29, 05:14
Oh, and scan time was 30 seconds slower than beta 2:

v1.5.2.20 = 20 minutes 17 seconds

v1.6.0.25 = 4 minutes 2 seconds

v1.6.0.26 = 7 minutes 17 seconds

v1.6.0.27 = 7 minutes 47 seconds

Becky
2008-06-29, 05:19
....in short words that means TeaTimer will now longer ask about every single registry change it does not recognize as pointing to a bad file, but will instead use the RunAlyzer LASSH database to automatically recognize and accept or deny nearly 400,000 different startup entries.

Please, pretty please, remember the :fear:"paranoid" users and fans (like me).

Could you please make it optional? I would like to know and to choose for every (or at least most of them) changes to my registry. I have adavare softwares installed and when I run them I can deny the changes, additionally some times is the only way to know that some applet or script is making a change.

Please :sad:, please:sad: please:sad:

THANKS!!!:present:

gifferjesus
2008-06-29, 05:37
I'm getting IE32-bit, IE32/64 and IE 64-bit (just like that) in the immunization window, but not Firefox 3 at all.

I'd best change that, it DOES show up fine on my laptop. Both PC and laptop are running Vista x64 ultimate, but the PC seems to not want to show Firefox in the list for some odd reason.

So, PC: Firefox not showing in immunization

Laptop: Works fine.

Zer0 Voltage
2008-06-29, 06:30
One bug/annoyance found:

If this new release of SpybotSD finds Lavasoft Ad-Aware on the system, you get a confirmation pop-up [warning of possible incompatibilities] about it when SpybotSD starts.

Problem is that this confirmation dialog says selecting "Ignore" will cause the warning message to stop appearing - but it doesn't. Even after clicking Ignore, the message continues to reappear on every SpybotSD start.

Also, there is a typo in the text of that confirmation message. It says "Search _Destroy" instead of "Search & Destroy" in the first line (i.e., the ampersand and space got converted to an underscore).

PepiMK
2008-06-29, 13:46
@ZEr0 Voltage: oh, sorry, that part isn't in the installer indeed. You can call SDFiles.exe /register for now :)
Not sure about the compatibility warning; maybe I should remove it completely since the AdAware problem is going to be solved soon anyway, and the others are very old stuff anyway.

@Becky: if you right-click the TeaTimer symbol, you'll notice where you can disable it :)
So it's optional, sorry for it being turned on by default, but I trust the paranoid more to find it to disable it than the regular users to find it to enable it ;)

@gifferjesus: could you please use the Search function in Windows Explorer and tell me where (in which folder, full path needed) your profiles.ini file is located? That is the Firefox profile overview file that Spybot-S&D uses to locate profiles.

Also, if you know regedit, whether the AppData value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\ is set (yes, I know, this one shouldn't be used according to Microsoft, but the Shell API doesn't allow to query this value for all available users but just for the current one).

Ivan1981
2008-06-29, 18:40
I have one annoying problem with RC1 version.

If I start scan without FF3 started scan time is almost 10 minutes(to be exact: scanning time for firefox - default - bookmarks is about 5 minutes).If I start firefox when spybot tried to scan firefox - default - bookmarks scan time is also about 10 minutes.
But if I'm using firefox when scanning scan time is about 5 minutes, and firefox - default - bookmarks is scanned within second.

I don't have this kind of behavior in beta 1 and 2, and I'm using XP with SP3.

Asus L3500TP
2008-06-29, 20:08
Hello,

For me I observe that the button " Search for Updates" has not been translated in French by "Recherche de Mise à jour" !

See here : http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=203774&postcount=3

It should be done ...

Other détails (marked in red color) of translation in french not done :

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/8145/tab1sz1.jpg

gifferjesus
2008-06-29, 21:24
@gifferjesus: could you please use the Search function in Windows Explorer and tell me where (in which folder, full path needed) your profiles.ini file is located? That is the Firefox profile overview file that Spybot-S&D uses to locate profiles.

Also, if you know regedit, whether the AppData value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\ is set (yes, I know, this one shouldn't be used according to Microsoft, but the Shell API doesn't allow to query this value for all available users but just for the current one).
Aye, Cap'n.

Profiles is located in C:/Users/BeardPC/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla (Doubt you need the actual user name, but, I'm not seeing anything bad stemming from leaving it there.

As for the registry, there is no setting for AppData that I can see in that area.

Edit: Realizing what I believe you were going to ask, I created a new string for AppData in that key and pointed it to the profiles folder. It now works. I appreciate the help. :)

Always Confused
2008-06-29, 21:38
Betas 1 & 2 worked.

Fatal Error:

Installed RC1, ran Check, which hung on Firefox bookmarks.

I clicked on "Stop check", which put a message in the status bar that Spybot was checking download folders (which it had already done.)

Unable to close Spybot; had to kill the process through Process Explorer.

dj.turkmaster
2008-06-29, 23:20
Both updaters, the one on the left(Update) and the one on the right(Search for Updates) are the same and both of them doesn't let you to select the beta downloads or the additional language downloads. But normally with the updater on the left you were able to select and download the beta updates and the additional language files.

dj.turkmaster
2008-06-29, 23:38
After installing spybot i put the cursor on the teatimer icon and it said 1172 processes blacklisted, rebooted the system and nothing changed still 1172 processe blacklisted but before it was about 70 or 80 thousand processes. And even though i have selected to install explorer file scan plugin there is nothing in the right click menu. before it was in the properties tab but now it has gone from there too.

Zer0 Voltage
2008-06-30, 04:53
@ZEr0 Voltage: oh, sorry, that part isn't in the installer indeed. You can call SDFiles.exe /register for now :)

Thanks, now it works fine. And now that I can summon it through the context menu I do see the database load time improvement. File-by-file scanning time is the same as it was under the properties tab though, which means slower than the scanning seen during full system scans - but it's not that bad.

I did find one general issue and one system-specific issue though.

The general issue is that the "Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy" context menu entry isn't available when selecting folders - only when selecting files. You can drag-and-drop folders, but you can't click on them to bring it up. That needs a fix since the properties tab method supported both files and folders and since the new program obviously can support it too. :D:

Also, on my primary XP SP3 system, SDFiles.exe will not open if I select more than one file and then select the context menu entry. In such a case, I just see an hourglass for about 2 seconds (after selecting the context menu entry) and the interface never appears. No message of any kind though. I can drag-and-drop multiple files and even manually scan multiple files from a command prompt, but trying to scan multiple files selected in Windows Explorer doesn't work. Any idea what might cause this?

Not sure about the compatibility warning; maybe I should remove it completely since the AdAware problem is going to be solved soon anyway, and the others are very old stuff anyway.

Keeping it might be nice since simultaneously using any products with similar realtime protection risks conflicts. But it needs to be fixed such that clicking on the "Ignore" button really does disable the "Display compatibility warnings." settings option like it's supposed to (though unselecting that option manually is a work-around).

Just FYI though, I have since found out that the message only appears if Ad-Aware 2008 is present. Spybot-S&D doesn't show it if Ad-Aware 2007 or older is installed.

Zer0 Voltage
2008-06-30, 05:11
@Becky: if you right-click the TeaTimer symbol, you'll notice where you can disable it :)
So it's optional, sorry for it being turned on by default, but I trust the paranoid more to find it to disable it than the regular users to find it to enable it ;)

There is a bug related to this - or if not a bug, certainly some undesirable behavior.

If you unselect the "Use source whitelists" and/or "Use entry black- and whitelists" options, they automatically become re-enabled whenever TeaTimer is restarted.

TeaTimer should really be made to remember these settings though. Otherwise us paranoid folks will need to manually disable them every time it starts. :fear:

Thanks!

dj.turkmaster
2008-06-30, 10:43
:oops: Ok I understood the issue about right click scanning now. But it was selected during the setup procces i think. And how do we do SDFiles /register? I mean how do we bring it to the right click scanning menu?

PepiMK
2008-06-30, 12:38
@Asus L3500TP: I'll bug Meik again regarding the translation status :)

@gifferjesus: glad you made it work :) will try anyway whether I can automate this a bit if the value doesn't exist, since others might notice the same thing.

@dj.turkmaster: in the final release it'll be registered by the intaller, no user interaction required.
I'll test the TeaTimer numbers... I could probably also add the LASSH count there...

@Zer0 Voltage: remembering whitelist status: implemented :)
http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=271

appear on folders context menu: implemented :)
(no new feature request, there's an old one for SDFiles.dll already somewhere and I'm lazy ;) )

As for opening more than one file, Windows actually calls the exe once for each file. Spybot-S&D itself is just passing its parameter along to an already running instance if one is found. So regardless whether you select more than one file at once, or one after each other, they'll all be loaded in the first visible window. Did you have another scanner window in the background maybe? It doesn't come automatically into the foreground; not sure what the best choice there would be, I decided that way because one might one to go through a list of files and select one after another for scanning, where the window always coming into the foreground would be annoying.

dj.turkmaster
2008-06-30, 13:32
@dj.turkmaster: in the final release it'll be registered by the intaller, no user interaction required.
I'll test the TeaTimer numbers... I could probably also add the LASSH count there...

But why did it decrease from about 80.000 processes to 1172 proccesses? Does this cause a problem with it's protection? And what about the updater, is it a bug?

Always Confused
2008-06-30, 16:30
1. Open Spybot, remove all immunization.

2. Open Control Panel, start process to remove Spybot; encounter, five or six times, an error message:

"Service `SBSD Security Center Service" failed to uninstall with error: "System Error: Code 1060. The specified service does not exist as an installed service."

After continually clicking on OK, uninstall process finally proceeds.

3. Restart computer, reinstall Spybot.

4. Reimunize.

5. Start scan process; when Spybot gets to Firefox 3 default profile bookmarks, Spybot again stops working.

6. Click on Stop, restart scan. Spybot stops at bookmarks.

7. After perhaps fifteen minutes, Spybot states that scan did not finish as it was stopped by user; that message appeared while Spybot was trying to scan the bookmarks the second time.

I had no problems whatsoever with the beta-test releases, but RC1 does not work for me.

PepiMK
2008-06-30, 17:07
@dj.turkmaster: if I had known back when I wrote it, I wouldn't have written that I need to test it ;)
Meanwhile I found the reason (the new file scanner that loads faster and has less memory print was managing the count differently) and have fixed it :)

Sorry about the updater, did miss the question. That has to do with the internal updater completely removed now (previously, it had been kept hidden as a backup method in case the stand-alone file would be causing problems).
First, people have been complaining that they behave differently, now people note that they behave the same :D
To be honest: I'm not absolutely sure what exactly is the optimal behaviour, but both doing the same seems to be more "consistent". You can still change the beta setting from the Settings page of Spybot directly, or you can run the updater form its start menu program group.

@Always Confused: please check whether you have SQlite3.dll in the Spybot-S&D folder; it's an essential file for Firefox 3 scanning. Also, could you check whether you have a file of the same name in the Windows folder maybe?
(just thinking about possible incompatible versions, though an application /should/ use the one in its own folder with priority by default, I'll have to check whether the SQLite code really does that)

Always Confused
2008-06-30, 17:28
@Always Confused: please check whether you have SQlite3.dll in the Spybot-S&D folder; it's an essential file for Firefox 3 scanning. Also, could you check whether you have a file of the same name in the Windows folder maybe?
(just thinking about possible incompatible versions, though an application /should/ use the one in its own folder with priority by default, I'll have to check whether the SQLite code really does that)

SQlite3.dll is in the Spybot--S&D folder (no version stated); copies also exist in Program Files\Mozilla Firefox (Version 3.5.4.1)and C:\Windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\xxxyyyzzz\etc, infinitum, et.al.

Terminator
2008-06-30, 17:37
I've just downloaded and Installed Spybot 1.6 RC1 and I am glad to report that the Right Click, File Properties bug is gone:eek:. Nice One lads!!!!:bigthumb:

Giga Wizard
2008-06-30, 17:57
I just installed Spybot 1.6 RC1, at the update, it updated the immunization database from 2007-07-25 (TU Braunschweig) is this a problem?

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/giga_wizard/immunizationdatabase.jpg

JohnnyT
2008-06-30, 19:34
Thank you for fixing cookies immunization of Opera 9.50,this rc1 solved it for me.

Zer0 Voltage
2008-07-01, 01:45
As for opening more than one file, Windows actually calls the exe once for each file. Spybot-S&D itself is just passing its parameter along to an already running instance if one is found. So regardless whether you select more than one file at once, or one after each other, they'll all be loaded in the first visible window. Did you have another scanner window in the background maybe?

I can't figure out why this is happening. I'm now seeing it on three different XP SP3 systems. Unfortunately I pretty much install the same stuff on all my systems and configure them all the same way, so it's hard for me to figure out what might be causing this. But I don't have another scanner window running in the background, so I know it isn't that.

I actually used Process Monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx) to create a log of everything Windows does when I select one file and the interface comes up as expected and another separate log of what happens when I select multiple files and it doesn't come up. The logs get massive so I could have missed something, but there are certainly no obvious errors (to me) when it fails. The only difference is that when I select a single file Explorer.EXE performs a "Process Create" with the PID detail showing:

"C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDFiles.exe" "{Drive}:\{PATH}\{filename}"

When I select multiple files, however, that process create never occurs (though all other SDFiles.exe related processes seem to). Nothing else happens either. I don't see any other process coming into play and interfering with SDFiles.exe - it just doesn't run from the context menu if multiple files are selected.

Just FYI, if I start selecting other individual files after the interface opens successfully it works fine. Each file I add just jumps into the already open instance - but only if I add them one at a time. If I try to add more than one at a time, it still fails even when the interface is already open (by which I mean the selected multiple files never appear in the list - the interface stays open though).

Oddly enough, I can select multiple files and pass them successfully to my AV scanner (ESET NOD32) via a context menu selection. I can also select multiple files and have them added to an archive (via 7-Zip, WinRAR, or WinZip) and cut/copy/paste/etc. multiple files. It's just SDFiles.exe that doesn't seem happy.

Any other ideas? This is driving me nuts.

Thanks again!

And thanks also for the [future] b/w-list status and folder context menus updates.

PepiMK
2008-07-01, 03:18
@Always Confused: interesting, didn't even look at the Firefox folder for SQLite3.dll yet I must admit ;) The DLLs that are officially distributed on the SQLite page do not have version resources. Could you please check which one gets loaded when Spybot-S&D runs? Spybot-S&D: Tools -> Process List -> SpybotSD.exe (list entry) -> Loaded modules (tab at the bottom) - sqlite3.dll (list entry there) -> Path (column).
If it is the one in the Spybot folder as it should be, could you please download the latest version ( http://www.sqlite.org/download.html , section "Precompiled Binaries For Windows, third one) and let me know whether that one works better?

Your steps mean that Firefox is not open at the time of the crash, right?

@Giga Wizard: forwarded to the person preparing the updates :) Most immunization stuff is part of the Detection rules: Supplemental update though, this might be some static part.

@Zer0 Voltage: thank you for making so much detailed tests :)
7-Zip, WinRAR and WinZip imho use system libraries loaded into the explorer process instead of the old, but easy method of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\...
It might not do harm to, in the actual command, add a %* after "%1" (separated by a space).
I'm updating my clean XP VM to SP 3 now to test for myself on the same OS configuration...

chrone
2008-07-01, 03:50
when will spybot support multithreading for faster scan since nowadays, dual-core or even more processor is affordable? :)

PepiMK
2008-07-01, 04:06
See for example this explanation (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=28505) :)

Zer0 Voltage
2008-07-01, 04:07
@Zer0 Voltage: thank you for making so much detailed tests :)
7-Zip, WinRAR and WinZip imho use system libraries loaded into the explorer process instead of the old, but easy method of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\...
It might not do harm to, in the actual command, add a %* after "%1" (separated by a space).
I'm updating my clean XP VM to SP 3 now to test for myself on the same OS configuration...

Thanks very much, I really appreciate you looking into it.

It did actually work on my 4th XP system which has SP2, so maybe SP3 does have something to do with it. I can't apply SP3 to the system in question since I still need an SP2 level system around, so I can't be sure. For the record, I also had no problems on multiple Vista systems (SP0 and SP1).

One more possibly interesting detail: on the systems showing the problem, I also cannot load multiple files into FileAlyzer using the "Analyse file with FileAlyzer" context menu option. Should that work? I never tried before... :)

I'll try to compare the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\ trees on my working and non-working systems next - just in case.

Thanks again!

Zer0 Voltage
2008-07-01, 06:04

I tried modifying the default key under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\sdfiles\command as follows:

1. "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDFiles.exe" "%1" %*
2. "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDFiles.exe" "%1" "%*"
3. "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDFiles.exe" %*
4. "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDFiles.exe" "%*"

but none of those worked. :sad:

In fact, 3 and 4 don't even let you scan a single file (which would be expected, but I wanted to be thorough).

Works fine from a command line though - just not from the context menu entry.

It also doesn't look like SP3 is the problem - or at least not SP3 alone - since I installed it on a new XP SP3 VMware client and it worked there.

Even more confusing is that I installed it in yet another VMWare client that has all of the same software as one of the other clients where it didn't work - but in this client it did work! :hair:

I just can't find the difference between these systems.

Any luck on your end? Is there perhaps some way to enable a verbose log for Spybot-S&D that would log everything it does?

PepiMK
2008-07-01, 11:15
No logging exists in SDFiles.exe, and since you were already at the roots, noticing that no CreateProcess was called, I doubt it would even get anywhere where it could log something :-/

I do have silly bug on two machines here that might lead me somewhere. Whenever I select more than one file on those, Windows will first show the "Move Files", then the "Copy Files" dialog before continuing its operation. It still works afterwards, but it seems that when multiple files are selected, something else than the HKCR\*\shell\ handlers operates first and would only later chain back there.

Meanwhile I've just heard we've found another machine that can reproduce your problem, going to look at that one now :)

PepiMK
2008-07-01, 11:57
Yodama just found out that on his machine, this behaviour is not limited to Spybot-S&D. Even the default notepad.exe (right-click multiple .txt files and choose Edit) does not work on that one. Same behaviour on my two machines where I had that similar problem.

So could you please test with a few text files and the standard Edit operation please? If that doesn't work either, we'll of course continue to search for some option to fix it, but at least we know it does not have to delay the release since it's a global problem with Explorer settings probably, affecting all applications that use HKCR\*\shell\ (while context menu handlers are not affected, granted).

Update: renaming the folder HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers and restarting Explorer makes all other regular shell handlers work again.

chrone
2008-07-01, 13:33
See for example this explanation (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=28505) :)

:oops: i see. sorry to ask. well, less than 10 minutes of scan time is a well done to me! thanks for the effort. :present:

ME_2&
2008-07-01, 15:08
Looks good, opens properly on <app>/Spybot-S&D index page (no more open to <app>/Spybot-S&D/Settings page!) and holds a custom skin (unlike beta1) on load. Only a few minor anomalies for me in the interface:
1) <app>/Info & License/Statistics persistently shows (Last found, Last fixed) date as 991230 rather than the actual
2) the <app>/Settings/Settings page lacks a few of the selections previously available - in particular the /Look & Feel show/don't Headers checkbox. Not sure how to successfully edit the relevant ui file(s) ...
3) SDFiles is a rather nice mini, but did not show as a contextmenu item at first .. so I simply added a shortcut for it to the 'Send To' contextmenu(sub). Opens fine from there and the drag'n'drop accepts both folders and files.
4) Also perhaps the small remove-spybotsd-settings.reg might need some path modification ("Safer Networking Limited" rather than "PepiMK Software" for RC1). This may be more of a 'note' to users of RC1.

scantimes:
SSD v1.5.2.20 Immunizations=55323 scantime=18:37
SSD v1.6.0.25 Immunizations=72851 scantime=12:32
SSD v1.6.0.27 Immunizations=72851 scantime=14:13
(all) botchecks=171851

Zer0 Voltage
2008-07-01, 15:14
I'm actually relieved to hear that the context menu multiple file selection issue isn't limited to me. :D:

You are correct about Edit - that doesn't work for me either if selecting multiple files (on the affected systems). Hadn't tried that one before. :)

Renaming HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers and restarting Explorer did not fix anything for me. In fact, that only broke the "Send To ->" context menu entry and removed an entry for Unlocker (http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/).

Any other ideas?

I do have silly bug on two machines here that might lead me somewhere. Whenever I select more than one file on those, Windows will first show the "Move Files", then the "Copy Files" dialog before continuing its operation. It still works afterwards, but it seems that when multiple files are selected, something else than the HKCR\*\shell\ handlers operates first and would only later chain back there.

In a bizarre twist, I can actually help you with this one.

You see this behavior on systems where someone added "Copy To" and "Move To" entries to their context menu.

I put together some .REG files a while back to easily enable and disable this because of that very problem (which cannot be avoided if you want those extra context menu entries).

To fix it - which will remove the Copy/Move To context menu entries - create a .REG file with the following and merge it into the Registry:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]
@=-

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]
@=-

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]
@=-

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]
@=-

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]
@=-

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]
@=-

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemEditObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]
@=-

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemEditObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]
@=-

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemEditObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemEditObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]

Of course that assumes the added context menu entries were actually named "Copy To" and "Move To". If they were named something else, the .REG must be modified accordingly.

After merging that, you will see that those "Copy Files" and "Move Files" dialogs will be gone.

If you prefer to keep the Copy/Move To context menu entries, you can re-enable them by merging a .REG file with the following:

REGEDIT4

;All Files
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]
@="{C2FBB630-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

;All Files
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]
@="{C2FBB631-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

;All Drives
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]

;All Drives
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]

;All Files and Folders
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]

;All Files and Folders
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]

;All editable Files and Folders
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemEditObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]

;All editable Files and Folders
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemEditObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]

Then after merging that, run:

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

Personally I no longer use those context menu entries because of those Copy/Move dialogs popping open when you do certain things. That was too annoying. So now I just use the built-in "Copy to Folder..." and "Move to Folder..." selections available from the Edit menu (in any folder's menu bar).

Always Confused
2008-07-01, 16:01
@Always Confused: interesting, didn't even look at the Firefox folder for SQLite3.dll yet I must admit ;) The DLLs that are officially distributed on the SQLite page do not have version resources. Could you please check which one gets loaded when Spybot-S&D runs? Spybot-S&D: Tools -> Process List -> SpybotSD.exe (list entry) -> Loaded modules (tab at the bottom) - sqlite3.dll (list entry there) -> Path (column).
If it is the one in the Spybot folder as it should be, could you please download the latest version ( http://www.sqlite.org/download.html , section "Precompiled Binaries For Windows, third one) and let me know whether that one works better?

Your steps mean that Firefox is not open at the time of the crash, right?

1. The .dll running with Spybot is the one in the Spybot folder.

2. Downloaded/installed the .dll from the URL you supplied.

3. Firefox closed while running Spybot.

4. Now, to the pertinent information from this morning's trials:

a. Started Spybot, told it to run a check; when I returned to the computer, Spybot had finished the check, with nothing to report.

b. Without restarting Spybot, I ran another check.

i. It took approximately six minutes to scan the disk, up to the point where Spybot started to scan the Firefox bookmarks file.

ii. It took approximately fourteen minutes for Spybot to scan the bookmarks file. I conclude that Spybot was likely not crashing with the original .dll installed but, rather, that as it was taking such an incredibly long time to scan the file, I thought it had crashed.

5. While I never actually timed the bookmarks scan with Spybot 1.6 b1 & b2, I estimate that it took less than two minutes to do that. Something quite bad has, apparently, changed between the two beta releases and the first release candidate of Spybot 1.6.

Fourteen minutes to scan the bookmarks file is unacceptable. I am rather certain that, if Spybot 1.6, when released, takes that long to scan Firefox 3 bookmarks files, there will be many Spybot users stating that Spybot 1.6 does not work.

PepiMK
2008-07-01, 16:10
Thank you for the details :)

Earlier beta versions didn't support Firefox 3 yet. But SQLite is a database format, contrary to the old HTML format, so it should be faster instead of slower than Firefox 2 support.

Yes, 14 minutes are unacceptable. I'll have to check where exactly the longest delay takes place; while SQLite is a database format designed for quicker data access, it's not like a full server-sided database, so it might help to do some of the heavier operations not on database engine side (I already optimized a bit there, but there might be more).

Thanks again for very useful information, I feel better now ;)

Zer0 Voltage
2008-07-01, 16:27
@PepiMK:

BTW, if interested in why those Copy and Move To dialogs pop-up like that, here is a response from Microsoft:

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2004/02/02/66160.aspx

I also found the following page today:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/movetocontext.htm

which has an alleged work-around posted at the bottom. Supposedly just using HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers only lets it work without causing those unwanted dialogs. I haven't tried it yet though.

Also BTW, I apologize for asking about enabling a detailed log yesterday. That was pretty stupid of me. Had I thought about it properly I would have known better. I'll use yesterday having been a long day and my having been spaced out on a large volume of pain killers as an excuse... :p:

Always Confused
2008-07-01, 16:45
Thank you for the details :)

Earlier beta versions didn't support Firefox 3 yet. But SQLite is a database format, contrary to the old HTML format, so it should be faster instead of slower than Firefox 2 support.

Yes, 14 minutes are unacceptable. I'll have to check where exactly the longest delay takes place; while SQLite is a database format designed for quicker data access, it's not like a full server-sided database, so it might help to do some of the heavier operations not on database engine side (I already optimized a bit there, but there might be more).

Thanks again for very useful information, I feel better now ;)
Question: When you wrote that earlier beta versions did not support Firefox 3, does that mean that the Spybot status bar indication of Spybot's checking the Firefox bookmarks was false information?

I ask as, when running Betas 1 & 2, I would always see, at the end of the process, information on the status bar that the bookmarks in the Firefox profile were being checked--and the name of the profile that Spybot indicated was, in fact, the name of my FF 3 profile. (I have two profiles, but the bookmarks file in the second one is so very small that Spybot might have stated that is was checking it, and that check could have been so quick that I did not notice.

I did not notice, during my testing this morning, if Spybot ever checked the bookmarks file in the second profile. (By the time the checking process finally finished, I was having a hard time even seeing the monitor screen...).

[EDIT] After posting this message, it occurred to me that I might still have a bookmarks.html file in my Firefox 3 profile, a "left-over" from the FF beta-test process. I just looked at my profile, and, yes, there is such a file, dated 6Feb08, which is likely about the time that I first installed Minefield (the FF3 beta-test code-named version.) Was that what Spybot betas were checking? If so, that would certainly explain why betas 1 & 2 worked so much faster than RC1.

I've been weeding out no-longer needed files from FF2 in my FF3 profile, and seemed to have overlooked the bookmarks.html one.

PepiMK
2008-07-01, 18:02
Beta 1 and beta 2 were scanning bookmarks in the form of bookmarks.html. RC 1 looks at the profile folder, and if cookies.sqlite exists, it scans cookies.sqlite for cookies and places.sqlite for bookmarks, otherwise it defaults to cookies.txt and bookmarks.html for scanning.

It won't scan both since that may be confusing to the user ("help, where does that bookmark come from").

My places.sqlite file is about 5 MB large and takes 4 minutes to scan (I just enabled and improved a mini benchmarking function) - less than 14, but still too much for scanning 7660 items in the cache.

Which reminds me: I do not have 7660 bookmarks I would guess, so it might be I'm scanning too much (history plus bookmarks maybe - the new database structure in there includes a dozen tables... hmmm... I should add a SQLite browsing tab to FileAlyzer to make it easier to search that file, I haven't found a single SQLite browser app yet that fully satisfies my needs ;) ).

Update: a combined query on moz_places and moz_bookmarks is most probably better than the current one on moz_places, which includes the history and might thus hit a huge multiple of the pure bookmark list. Having results from the history might be nice, but not at this price. Looking at the proper query now :)

Update 2: wrote a small SQLiteAlyzer to access the files faster than through command line ;)
Reading smaller amount of "places" now (only bookmarked ones), tests successful, Spybot-S&D now takes from previously 6:30 to around 1:00 on Firefox bookmarks now. Still not perfect, but getting better ^^

Ivan1981
2008-07-01, 19:49
And I have the similar problem like user Always Confused but it all works ok when ff3 is started while scanning( http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=207626&postcount=11 )

Filesizes are:
places.sqlite - 3.48MB
bookmarks.html - 258KB
bookmarks-2008-07-01.json in bookmarks backup folder is 47KB
cookies.sqlite - 38KB

Always Confused
2008-07-01, 20:20
As if I were not "Always Confused", now I am always confused....

1. I set the FF config option to force FF to export my bookmarks as an html file; that resulted in bookmarks.html, 914 KB.

2. I then ran AM-Deadlink against bookmarks.html, which indicated that I have 951 bookmarks.

3. My places.sqlite file is shown as 15,392 KB.

4. I next deleted places.sqlite, bookmarkbackups and localstore.rdf. Doing that, plus having created a new bookmarks.html file, forces FF 3 to create a new places.sqlite file when FF is restarted.

5. Restarted FF; the new places.sqlite file is 15,392 KB, but there is only one .json file in the new bookmarkbackups folder of course.

6. I then read Ivan1981's comment about running Spybot with FF3 also running, so I started Spybot, told it to check. This time, when Spybot got to Firefox bookmarks, the Spybot process ended almost instanteously.

[In the line of being Always Confused, as I was writing this brilliant missive, I realized that I might not have deleted bookmarks.html. I'm going to do that, restart FF, rerun Spybot, report the result. (This saves me from copying this, closing FF, restarting, etc.; easier to just confuse myself further...).

Always Confused
2008-07-01, 20:46
The forum software would not allow me to post the wonderful verbiage I had added to my previous missive, so herewith enclosed please find whatever it is that is enclosed:

A. I deleted the bookmarks.html file, restarted FF, and reran S&D. When the S&D process neared the end, I watched the S&D status bar carefully, and determined that the reason for the nearly instantaneous completion was due to S&D completely skipping the in-use FF3 profile. S&D did scan the places.sqlite file in my other profile; that places file is only 144 KB, which would account for S&D scanning it so quickly.

B. I then closed FF and reran S&D; when it got to the places.sqlite file for my normally-used profile, S&D again became so slow that I terminated the process.

My conclusion is that S&D has a problem scanning .sqlite files, that problem being directly (and understandably) related to the size of such files.

Ivan1981
2008-07-01, 21:09
@Always Confused(but now not :) ): Maybe you are right.
But if I use FF3 when scanning everything is ok like I said, but if FF3 is not started scanning firefox-default-bookmarks is slow and sometimes(not every single time) Spybot found two or one bookmark(s) something like this:

CN.wAQdN188: Bookmark (Firefox: default) (Bookmark, nothing done)

CN.wAQdN188: Bookmark (Firefox: default) (Bookmark, nothing done)

Spybot(1.5.2 and 1.6 beta 1 and 2) with same definition file never reported any of this like RC1 does now.

PepiMK
2008-07-01, 21:35
The SQLite database Firefox uses isn't intended as a multi-user database; it's up to SQLite3.dll to allow or not allow access to the database. If it's in use, it's most probably not available. We could make a copy, modify that copy, replace back etc., but that could cause inconsistencies depending on what exactly Firefox keeps in memory.

As I wrote above, places.sqlite contains a lot of information, it has a huge list of "places", which in the beginning of my Firefox 3 usage wasn't that large, but quickly grows to be much larger through history, rss feeds and many other places stored in there (probably even a cache list).
If there's interest, I could add more details about the various Firefox 3 databases to the Spybot wiki I guess, I've already written down a lot of structure anyway.

Also, I've limited the query from this full places list to one just scanning bookmarks now, see above how that got faster.

I can upload an updated SpybotSD.exe in the next hour, I think it'll improve things similarly to my experience ;)

PepiMK
2008-07-01, 22:06
Small update: sqlitalyz-0.1.zip (http://www.spybotupdates.com/files/sqlitalyz-0.1.zip)

Just a very basic SQLite database browser that'll show you the content of Firefox' databases to better understand their content :)

SpybotSD.exe test version including the reduced scan set coming next ;)

PepiMK
2008-07-01, 22:30
Sorry if it took nearly the full hour, but doing a few full scans for testing takes some time, and the public build environment always compiles at least 30 files, which is slooow ;)

SpybotSD.exe-ff3-improvements.zip (http://www.spybotupdates.com/files/SpybotSD.exe-ff3-improvements.zip)

Just the main executable with Firefox 3 bookmarks support that does work faster by using only the data from moz_bookmarks with titles and urls from moz_places, similar to what is seen in the sqlite demo above (Templates menu).

Broken Hope
2008-07-01, 22:45
Usage track removal isn't working for FF3 cookies, it picks them up to be deleted but when you select them and tell Spybot to delete them it doesn't actually do it.

Any update in regard to this, it seems to have been ignored? Spybot can detect cookies in FF3 but the usage track scan can't actually delete them it seems.

PepiMK
2008-07-01, 22:50
Oh sorry, not ignored, just overlooked, there are so many small issues here and I concentrated on that big label "crash" somewhat ;)
I'm going to see into that next :)

Ivan1981
2008-07-01, 23:01
Scanning time with RC1: 8:54 (FF3 bookmarks almost 3 min) and found two entries mentioned before.
Scanning time ith new version 6:08(FF3 bookmarks about 10s) and found nothing.

Definitely a huge improvement.

PepiMK
2008-07-01, 23:33
@Broken Hopes: many thanks for reminding about that issue again :)
Found the problem - if you're an ultra-heavy internet user, the continuously increased unique cookie ID can get into astronomic heights ;)
I must admit I did believe one couldn't get more than 2^31 newly assigned cookies (that's 2,147,483,648), but it seems I was wrong :laugh: (or Firefox doesn't necessarily start with 0).

molitar
2008-07-02, 02:27
Updating does not let me choose the update location. The updater flies by so fast not able to check the option to check for beta updates and location can not be chosen. Please remove the stupid automation for the updater so the location and other options can be checked manually.

Zer0 Voltage
2008-07-02, 02:54
Updating does not let me choose the update location. The updater flies by so fast not able to check the option to check for beta updates and location can not be chosen. Please remove the stupid automation for the updater so the location and other options can be checked manually.

Please read the stupid beta threads so you don't repeat something already addressed:

report: http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=203785&postcount=70

response: http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=203790&postcount=71

molitar
2008-07-02, 03:05
Well even reading them threads and the response. I see no options in the options to disable the automatic update for checking the locations or anything else. It seems the updater has been dumbed down and I have tried the update button and the menu and it acts the same either way.. it updates automatically not letting the options be chosen at all.

Zer0 Voltage
2008-07-02, 03:26
Well even reading them threads and the response. I see no options in the options to disable the automatic update for checking the locations or anything else. It seems the updater has been dumbed down and I have tried the update button and the menu and it acts the same either way.. it updates automatically not letting the options be chosen at all.

Are you sure you read the response?

Are you really saying that the updater works the same if you select Start -> Programs -> Spybot-S&D -> Update Spybot-S&D?

And you really don't see a "Web update" section under the Settings?

molitar
2008-07-02, 04:29
Are you sure you read the response?

Are you really saying that the updater works the same if you select Start -> Programs -> Spybot-S&D -> Update Spybot-S&D?

And you really don't see a "Web update" section under the Settings?

To a degree in that it will let you select the beta update and the other check box from that updater. But the location does not appear in that updater either. I notice when I ran the updater it was updating from some foreign country and not the USA. That is why this being automated needs to be a selectable option in the options. I want my updates coming from the USA not some country that I can't barely pronounce.

Zer0 Voltage
2008-07-02, 04:51
To a degree in that it will let you select the beta update and the other check box from that updater. But the location does not appear in that updater either. I notice when I ran the updater it was updating from some foreign country and not the USA. That is why this being automated needs to be a selectable option in the options. I want my updates coming from the USA not some country that I can't barely pronounce.

Funny, it lets me select the location:

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/4843/ssdupdaterfg4.jpg

Are you just not getting the choice because no updates are available after your last update?

Or perhaps you cannot pronounce USA? Should be easy enough. It's even spelled out for you.

Heck, I can even pronounce Germany, Canada, and Europe...

Always Confused
2008-07-02, 16:24
Sorry if it took nearly the full hour, but doing a few full scans for testing takes some time, and the public build environment always compiles at least 30 files, which is slooow ;)

SpybotSD.exe-ff3-improvements.zip (http://www.spybotupdates.com/files/SpybotSD.exe-ff3-improvements.zip)

Just the main executable with Firefox 3 bookmarks support that does work faster by using only the data from moz_bookmarks with titles and urls from moz_places, similar to what is seen in the sqlite demo above (Templates menu).
Downloaded file, extracted .exe to Spybot folder; closed Firerfox. Opened Spybot, ran check; less than two minutes, approximately, to scan bookmarks.

While I don't know what Spybot is now doing, in terms of your comments about "titles and urls", nor do I really care, I can state that whatever it is that Spybot is doing is "much more betterer like" now.

ME_2&
2008-07-02, 19:09
(apologet la Jack Webb, badge#714)
No FF3 as incompatible, no Opera950 as buggy-for-me ..

With 080702 updates:
SSD v1.6.0.27(aka RC1) Immunizations=72981 scantime=14:32
(no Immunization for K-Meleon yet here .. whenifever is fine)

previous versions uninstalled in anticipation of :) "I feel like coffee, Joe. You?"

PepiMK
2008-07-02, 22:57
@Always Confused: good to hear that it's better now :)
Sorry if I'm talking too much tech, that comes with the

@all:

We did work through the installer today, included newest language files, updated installer languages, and some this and that. Made a new package, 1.6.0.28, build 20080702, most probably final. Tested that huge list of "silly stuff" like how it's behaving on Windows 95, ... etc. ;)

There's one thing though we missed for some time about July 4th: it's a Friday :laugh: Bad choice to release something on such a short notice on a holiday with following weekend, could be difficult to get to mirrors etc.. So I tend to have an RC 2 tomorrow, to give it some time to get played with over the weekend, and release Monday if everything's working. Hope that would ok with everyone ;)

Always Confused
2008-07-03, 00:10
@Always Confused: good to hear that it's better now :)
Sorry if I'm talking too much tech, that comes with the

You are not the only one: I was having a serious Comodo firewall problem a few weeks ago. There were some messages on the relevant forum about this problem, so I added my own request for assistance.

After a few days, having received no replies, I started a new thread, which went through quite a few messages (and work for me), all to no avail. Finally, the person who had first posted the method of fixing the problem in the earlier threads answered me in the thread I had started; he apologized for using slang which he assumed everyone understood, and gave me what was an extremely easy fix.

Now, if you want to carry out a technical discussion, please let me know which of the following topics you would like to pursue. You may pick any three of the two choices:

1. Medieval History.

2. Structural Firefighting.

(Yes, I actually am at least somewhat qualified in those two quite-unrelated fields of endeavor, and can provide all sorts of "meaningful" technical talk.)

Not only that, but I can even finish your sentence above that has no ending....

Zer0 Voltage
2008-07-03, 03:08
Well, here's something to consider before a potential final...

I believe that whitelists are overriding blacklists - and if so, I think that may be a bad idea.

The behavior I saw relates to my need for QuickTime but my dislike of its autostart Registry entry. So I manually disable it, but some obnoxious things like to force it back in - the most annoying of which are certain web sites which do this without an appropriate browser prompt.

To counter that behavior, I told TeaTimer to automatically block any attempt to make the associated QuickTime Registry change. Works quite well.

Come along 1.6 and its whitelists which apparently must have an entry to allow the QuickTime Registry change. Then couple that with the previously reported problem of TeaTimer not saving the b/w-list enabled/disabled settings.

So I surf the web, access a site which tries to silently re-enable the QuickTime entry, reboot, and see that damned blue Q sitting in my system tray...

That means I forgot to disable the appropriate settings and TeaTimer therefore allowed the Registry change even though I have a blacklist entry explicitly forbidding it.

Is this really the way it should work?

I would expect explicit end user blacklist entries to always override anything else, but at least here they don't. In fact, I get two pop-ups: one saying the action was blocked and then another immediately saying it was allowed!

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/2777/spybotbwtv1.png

:nono:

I'm thinking that black should always override white regardless of any settings and in the case of any conflicting rules. Correct? Or am I just missing certain issues or possibilities?

Broken Hope
2008-07-03, 03:11
Is it just me or has the secure shredder been removed from the tools menu?

Zer0 Voltage
2008-07-03, 03:40
Is it just me or has the secure shredder been removed from the tools menu?

I still see it - but I do think I remember it not being selected by default during installation. Maybe that's what happened to you?

PepiMK
2008-07-03, 11:07
@Always Confused: and I even forgot to finish the sentence, the missing word was simply "stress" I guess, nothing technical this time ;)
Medieval history is surely interesting, but I usually prefer it in amateurish form of historic novels etc., would be similarly :lip: there ;)

@ZerO Voltage: I checked the order in which lists are tested:
1. User lists
2. LASSH lists
3. File scanner
4. Security app whitelist
The problem here was that #2 was indeed not honoring previous decision from #1. Updating that :)

@Broken Hope: as ZerO Voltage said, it's an option during installation now. The button inside will just open the external app, which is now required, since it's no longer an internal tool finally.

PepiMK
2008-07-03, 19:55
Unsticking thread to make place for RC 2 ;)

Rosenfeld
2008-07-03, 19:58
A bit late to this party. For me the RC1 works fine on XP SP3, about the same speed as the beta 2..

One comment on reading this thread, question if you select multiple .txt files, right click, click edit: on my system all the selected files open rapidly one after the other. I haven't installed the scan with S&D context menu item, so can't test that.