PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing issue with homepages

Common
2008-06-30, 12:40
My computer has a problem loading some homepages while others work, this one for example. I can get into sites like google.com but when I try to search it wont show results, I can get into gmail.com but when I try to log in it wont go to the inbox. Other sites like facebook.com doesn't load up at all.

I've tried about everything and I know it's not a filter in my browser nor is it my firewall or network card. I tried surfing behind two different routers and internet connection but the same problem appears. Anyways, here's the strange part.

I downloaded the spybot from this site to try and get rid of whatever it was, rebooted the computer and when I got back to windows Spybot started scanning everything before it let any program start, I cancelled the scan (maybe I shouldn't have?) since I had already scanned the computer. Thing is, it didn't start up any processes after that so I started explorer myself, after that everything worked fine, all homepages work etc. When I rebooted again the Spybot didn't start its search in the beginning and I was back to normal, pages stopped working.

This is probably the strangest issue I've ever had, I've tried different spywares and what not yet it doesn't seem to work. I have no idea what to do so all help is appreciated.

Greyfox
2008-06-30, 16:52
Common

Regrettably you post does not include a lot of information to work on.

What operating sytem do you have, what browser are you using, what antivirus software, what firewall. Do you have other spyware/malware detection software installed on your PC?

From your post, it would seem that perhaps you had the problem before you installed Spybot, and that you installed Spybot specifically to try to overcome the problem - can you confirm this, and also confirm what version of Spybot you installed.

Next you say that you stopped a scan on bootup(?) because you had already completed a scan - was the completed scan you refer to done with Spybot, and if so what did it find. Did you attempt any kind of fix with Spybot at the end of that scan. My suspicion is that Spybot found some problem/s which you asked it to fix, and one or more of those problems could not be fixed without a reboot, hence the scan during bootup.

What is the current situation - is Spybot still installed, and if so can you do another complete scan with it, and also one with your antivirus and let us know specifically what both find.

If these scans indicate a virus or malware infection then you may have to start a post in the Malware removal forum, but at this point in time the above may provide a starting point.

Common
2008-06-30, 17:39
Common

Regrettably you post does not include a lot of information to work on.

What operating sytem do you have, what browser are you using, what antivirus software, what firewall. Do you have other spyware/malware detection software installed on your PC?

Operating system: Windows XP
Browser: Firefox (I've also tried IE, same problem)
Firewall: Windows standard firewall, the one you choose in connection settings.

I have a bunch of spyware programs, Spyware doctor, registry mechanic, Adaware etc.

"From your post, it would seem that perhaps you had the problem before you installed Spybot, and that you installed Spybot specifically to try to overcome the problem - can you confirm this, and also confirm what version of Spybot you installed."

Yeah, I had the issue before spybot and installed it to fix the issue of course. and I installed it to overcome this specific problem yes. I have Spybot version 1.5.2

"Next you say that you stopped a scan on bootup(?) because you had already completed a scan - was the completed scan you refer to done with Spybot, and if so what did it find. Did you attempt any kind of fix with Spybot at the end of that scan. My suspicion is that Spybot found some problem/s which you asked it to fix, and one or more of those problems could not be fixed without a reboot, hence the scan during bootup. "

When i stopped the scan on bootup windows loaded strangely, I think the spyware/virus didn't load so all homepages work fine then. Untill i rebootet again.

"What is the current situation - is Spybot still installed, and if so can you do another complete scan with it, and also one with your antivirus and let us know specifically what both find."

Spybot is still installed, I did another scan and found nothing relevant to fix the problem. This time Spybot found something called "Mailskinner.rtk" & "messengerskinner.rtk", I managed to fix both. I'm currently searching through the comp with my AVG anti virus (free edition) but it will take a while, I'll get back with the results when I am done.

"If these scans indicate a virus or malware infection then you may have to start a post in the Malware removal forum, but at this point in time the above may provide a starting point."

I've started a thread in the Malware removal forum, but I'm unaware of what the virus/spyware is, I did a research in the malware forum and found other people with the same issue, their virus is called "virtumonde", so I'm guessing it's something similiar. I've done scans and posted logfiles from both HJT & ComboFix. Still waiting for a reply there.

Thanks for your time, I'll get back with the info from my antivirus scan soon

Common
2008-06-30, 19:22
Results from the virus search:

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/2779/testug5.jpg

No viruses detected and I updated AVG today. Shit program

drragostea
2008-06-30, 20:09
The latest version of Spybot-Search&Destroy is 1.5.2.20 with definition updates from June 25th, 2008.

Your scan reports seem to be clean, however I think there may be a problem. AVG 7.5 is no longer supported as of May 31, 2008. I would recommend you upgrade to AVG 8.0.101.

You also said that Spybot detected "mailskinner" and "messengerskinner". Was Spybot successful in removing them or did it prompt you to run a scan on reboot?

If you have trouble removing the two follow instructions from the thread in the Malware Forums.
--
Upgrade to AVG 8.0 and run a full scan. AVG 8.0 improves program and scanning stability. It also includes spyware protection.

Download AVG 8.0 from AVG's SERVERS. Download.com does not tend to update some programs on time.
http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download?prd=afe

Common
2008-07-01, 00:44
I've updated AVG to the newest version now, thanks for the tip. I ran a full system scan and this is what i found:

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/2888/test2ft8.jpg

Healed them, I still have the same problem though.

drragostea
2008-07-01, 01:05
I have a bunch of spyware programs, Spyware doctor, registry mechanic, Adaware etc.

Registry Mechanic (PCTools) is not a anti-spyware program. I would not recommend registry cleaners.
Registry Cleaners Not Recommended (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30038)

List ALL of your anti-spyware programs.

Also, was Spybot successful in removing the "messengerskinner" and "mailskinner"? Both are registered as 'trojans'. This could be serious.
--

I would best suggest that you wait for instructions in the Malware Forums. A helper will help you ASAP.

Common
2008-07-01, 01:31
Yeah, they were removed successfully.

The spywareprograms listed are it actually, thought i had more installed but on a closer look i dont.

I'll wait for them to answer yeah, my thread has been bumped to the third page though. hope they see it

thanks for your help btw

drragostea
2008-07-01, 03:05
NP. However, I best bet that your problem will be resolved at the Malware Forums.