PDA

View Full Version : need a few tips

Guingion
2008-07-03, 18:02
I just need some simple tips.

I'm going to uninstall v. 1.5.17 and try to (re)install SD152.exe which I downloaded yesterday. I had installed SD152.exe in march (or somewhere around that time). And it turned out to be 1.5.17.

The FAQ tells me that I can uninstall it, but doing so I get a message to do a recovery and undo the immunization. These files are supposed to be in the Documents and Settings. I have copied the folder to another drive. So can I just safely uninstall Spybot without loss of the fixed errors and immunization? Because I tried to undo the immunization, but it got stuck.

Is SD152.exe really giving me the latest version (1.5.2)?

I have 1 machine with Windows XP Home SP3 and an oldy with Win98SE.
Can the latest Spybot-version (1.5.2) run on Win98SE too ('cause I had major problems here and re-installed 1.4)?

Please don't give me threads to refer to, because I've been reading so many posts about the problems that I have too (trojans.sbi, LONG scan-times, zlob.downloader.bs trouble) that I'm only getting lost. All I really want is to solve my problems.
English is not my native language, so please keep it simple.

Terminator
2008-07-03, 18:28
1.6 is out tomorrow (July 4th) so I'd wait 24hrs and then Unnistall your old version and install 1.6.

To uninstall see this FAQ (http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html).

Guingion
2008-07-03, 19:37
Thank you for the quick response. I will wait for 1.6.

Am I correct in this?:
I can uninstall spybot throught the control panel, I ignore the popup-message that urges me to recover and undo immunization, and I install the new version in the same folder.
Sorry for the extra extra check, but this message confuses me.

Terminator
2008-07-03, 20:11
I've never had that message but another member might be able to help.

PS: 1.6 is coming out on Monday July 7th

honda12
2008-07-03, 20:32
Thank you for the quick response. I will wait for 1.6.

Am I correct in this?:
I can uninstall spybot throught the control panel, I ignore the popup-message that urges me to recover and undo immunization, and I install the new version in the same folder.

Hi,

It is recommended that you undo the immunisation first - The warning was designed primarily for people who were uninstalling Spybot for good, because after un-installation there is no easy way to undo the immunisation

In your case I do not see there being any problems by not undoing the immunisation, but I would still undo it to be safe :crowned:

Hope that helps,

honda :)

Guingion
2008-07-03, 20:33
Thanks.

I have copied the Spybot-folder (in Documents and Settings\Application Data) to another drive. In case this folder is deleted I could restore the folder. I understand that is here where the backups and immunization-information is stored. It seems that undoing the immunization won't work. Or does this take a long long long time?

I will wait for 1.6 till monday.

drragostea
2008-07-03, 21:31
Gui, any chance you're running Firefox 3? Immunization is quite, however un-immunization takes sometime. Make it forever :laugh:. I'm just kidding. If you're using FF3, then the problem is the cookies that are "rendered" differently than FF2.

Zenobia
2008-07-03, 23:35
Am I correct in this?:

That popup is just a standard message you get when uninstalling.I believe it is just a warning in case you are trying to undo changes made by Spybot,and mistakenly believe uninstalling Spybot will accomplish that.
So,yes,in your case,when just installing a newer version,you ignore the popup. :)

Guingion
2008-07-04, 10:33
Thank you, Zenobia, this undoubtly solves my uncertainty. It's a relief, I can tell you, because in former updates I walked the safe way and followed the instructions in the popup. So I thank you very much.

Drragostea: My Firefox version just updated yesterday-evening and it's now 2.0.0.15. So no FF3 on my pc.

Anyway: I look forward to Spybot 1.6 on monday and hope all my problems vanish with the past. After this I will enjoy a little vacation and be offline for a while.

Greetings, Guingion

Zenobia
2008-07-06, 00:56
You're welcome.Have a good vacation. :)
It's still a good idea to unimmunize before uninstalling,if you're able to.

drragostea
2008-07-07, 19:53
If I'm correct v.1.6 is released today? Or is there another RC that I'm not aware about?

Guingion
2008-07-07, 21:12
I suppose so. I read it in the sticky:

Distributed Testing, updated to 1.6 and leaving beta status

but it is dated on the 4th. Nevertheless it contains a link to download version 1.6. I have dowlnoaded the exe-file, but will install it when I'm back from my vacation.

drragostea
2008-07-07, 22:18
I suppose so. I read it in the sticky:

but it is dated on the 4th. Nevertheless it contains a link to download version 1.6. I have dowlnoaded the exe-file, but will install it when I'm back from my vacation.

I think it mean leaving beta status to Release Candidate status. If there were v.1.6 it would be on the main page right now. Hm. :spider:

Zenobia
2008-07-08, 04:17
If I'm correct v.1.6 is released today? Or is there another RC that I'm not aware about?

I don't know.Just keep watching for an announcement,and see what happens. :)