PDA

View Full Version : TeaTimer for all users

mike-d
2008-07-04, 19:58
In http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=11658, the response to the question of how to activate TeaTimer for multiple users directs the OP to add TeaTimer from each account on the system. I don't believe this is what the OP had in mind. At any rate, I'm looking for a simple way to do this that doesn't require visiting each user's account. I note that SDhelper doesn't work this way, and appears to be active for all users when enabled. Is there an aspect of activating TeaTimer that limits the ability to install it in the Run key under HKLM? More generally, as a feature request, how about an "advanced" feature (since that's where the control for the resident tools exists) that allows specifying whether SDhelper and/or TeatTimer is installed only for the current user or for all users.

As far as the apparent limitation with TeaTimer at this point in time, would it still work if it was enabled in the GUI, then the Registry edited to copy the HKCU Run entry for it into the Run key under HKLM, then disable it back in the GUI?

Regards,
Mike

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-04, 20:59
mike-d:

... As far as the apparent limitation with TeaTimer at this point in time, would it still work if it was enabled in the GUI, then the Registry edited to copy the HKCU Run entry for it into the Run key under HKLM, then disable it back in the GUI?
Yes it would. However, when you disable TeaTimer via the GUI it terminates TeaTimer. It would be better to added the "SpybotSD TeaTimer" entry to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] and then delete the registry entry for "SpybotSD TeaTimer" from the user that installed Spybot.

mike-d
2008-07-04, 21:26
mike-d:

Yes it would. However, when you disable TeaTimer via the GUI it terminates TeaTimer. It would be better to added the "SpybotSD TeaTimer" entry to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] and then delete the registry entry for "SpybotSD TeaTimer" from the user that installed Spybot.

Let me be more explicit about my work-around:

Enable TeaTimer in the GUI
Find the Run entry under HKCU and copy its value; by copying the value, we have the correct file path as part of the value
Create a new Run entry under HKLM (i.e. with the Registry path you specified) with the contents of the value copied from the previous step
Disable TeaTimer in the GUI, which removes the Run entry in HKCU (and shuts down TeaTimer as you've indicated)
Logout

From your response, I believe TeaTimer will automaticaly start for anyone who subsequently logs in, won't it?

Regards,
Mike

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-04, 22:29
... From your response, I believe TeaTimer will automaticaly start for anyone who subsequently logs in, won't it?
Yes it should.

I was trying to save you the step of rebooting or logging off and then on again to get TeaTimer running.

Prior to Spybot 1.5 it was easy to restart TeaTimer. All you had to do was:
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

In Spybot 1.5, Spybot's executables (including TeaTimer.exe) are hidden as protected operating system files. To see them:
Using Windows Explorer navigate to:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
In the Tools menu select Folder Options…
In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.
Under the "Hidden files and folders" options:
Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected.
Not "Do not show hidden files and folders".
Uncheck the following option:
Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)
Click the Apply button.
Click the OK button.
The files should now be displayed
Note: If you uncheck the "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" option to view Spybot's executables, I suggest that you return the option to its original setting when you are done.

kevin johnston
2008-07-05, 05:08
Awesome. This is the exact topic I registered to ask about, and here it is already answered.

So I made the suggested registry change, and TeaTimer does indeed start for any user who logs on. Good, I think. But a new instance of the program is started for *every* user who logs on - so if 3 users are logged on, there are three TeaTimer processes running, and all 3 users get a popup to ask for approval of, say, a registry change.

Is this a problem? Is there a way to have just one global TeaTimer process running no matter who logs on, no matter how many are logged on?

If there is a way to do this, which user will TeaTimer ask for approval of a registry change? Can that be controlled?

If it's not possible to have just one global TeaTimer process, I can imagine there could be a problem if different users give different answers to an approval popup... although I think I can deal with that by user education. But could there ever be a problem with multiple users giving the *same* answer? Say, 2 users both deny a registry change; what will happen on the second time a single edit is denied?

Perhaps I would be better off just having one TT running under the admin acct?