PDA

View Full Version : Host File

TreeHead
2008-07-04, 20:27
Each time I update definitions, I immunize. Immunization includes a portion devoted to "Global HOSTS". If, after immunizing, I go to the TOOLS/HOSTS section and click on "Add Spybot S&D hosts list", am I duplicating efforts?
FYI - I have Windows ME and Spybot 1.5.2
Thanks.

wyrmrider
2008-07-04, 21:54
Interesting question
When updating with several popular HOST lists they will delete Spybot hosts entries
simple fix is to re add Spybot hosts however this adds duplicates
The Spybot entries will then be after your other entries and plainly identified
"Begin (END) Entries added by Spybot Search and Destroy)
I guess You will have to open your host file with a txt editor or "view hosts" and take a look
remember the hosts file has no .suffix (no .txt or .doc) just plain hosts
contrary to some misinformation capitalization does not matter
but it must be in the appropriate directory
with Windows 98 & ME that would be C:/Windows

If you want to merge or remove duplicate Spybot hosts with other hosts list a host management program will be required

post back on what you find

TreeHead
2008-07-11, 03:07
Thanks for telling me where to find hosts file. I use only SPYBOT for hosts file. I have just now updated, immunized and added Spybot Hosts file. What happens, apparently, is each time a new hosts file is added, the prior hosts files becomes a backup file. I deleted all of the backups except most recent (today's addition).

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-11, 05:50
TreeHead:

... am I duplicating efforts? ...
Immunization's "Windows - Global (HOSTS)" and Tool's "Hosts File" both add the same information to the system's HOSTS file. So yes you are "duplicating efforts".