PDA

View Full Version : Immunize Hangs After Installing SpyBot 1.5.2

Deltona
2008-07-04, 23:23
OS = Windows XP Home Edition, Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp.080413-2111: Service Pack 3).

Upgraded my SpyBot 1.4 to the newer Spybot 1.5.2 today. When I try to Immunize, the system hangs forever with the only exit being CTRL-ALT-DEL and a majority of my files remaining unprotected (see attached image file). Never had such an issue with version 1.4 of SpyBot, so I'm at a loss here.

I'm also running Zone Alarm and Webroot's Spy Sweeper. While I've been able to search the forum and find out that Zone Alarm's "Lock Hosts file" should NOT be checked (mine was not), I've yet to locate what to disarm in Spy Sweeper.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

drragostea
2008-07-05, 07:00
Seems like a Webroot problem. But just to make sure... have you removed v.1.4 before installing the latest version?

Webroot's SpySweeper and SaferNetworking's Spybot-SD's IMMUNIZE feature are both similar because they add to the HOSTS file and sort of add "killbits" so they prevent the execution of those annoying, and maybe malicious ads and colorful banners.

See further on how Spybot prevents the installation of Malware/Spyware:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281

What I would suggest is to disable SpySweeper. I mean all 13 shields. Then disable SpySweeper itself. This is momentarily, you may re-enable it after the immunization for Spybot is complete. Then Immunize Spybot and reenable the SpySweeper shields.

This seems to be a conflict, because both of their functions are similiar and they both seem to block the same or similar sites. Thus it may result a lockdown.

Deltona
2008-07-05, 12:32
Thanks very much for replying, drragostea.

<<< have you removed v.1.4 before installing the latest version? >>>

Actually, no ... I'd read in some other threads that v1.5.2 could overwrite the existing v1.4, so I did not delete 1.4 first.

I appreciate the link you provided. While I thought I had a good understanding of how SpyBot worked, the thread you linked gave an excellent detailed description which I've PDFed for safekeeping.

So, I guess my question now is, should I go back and delete all of SpyBot completely and start over again? Or should I just pick up at the point where you advise to deactivate Webroot's Spy Sweeper and try to immunize with the current install of SpyBot?

blues
2008-07-05, 13:20
Thanks very much for replying, drragostea.

<<< have you removed v.1.4 before installing the latest version? >>>

Actually, no ... I'd read in some other threads that v1.5.2 could overwrite the existing v1.4, so I did not delete 1.4 first.

I appreciate the link you provided. While I thought I had a good understanding of how SpyBot worked, the thread you linked gave an excellent detailed description which I've PDFed for safekeeping.

So, I guess my question now is, should I go back and delete all of SpyBot completely and start over again? Or should I just pick up at the point where you advise to deactivate Webroot's Spy Sweeper and try to immunize with the current install of SpyBot?

this is the way to uninstall spybot http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html

when i install a new version of spybot, i always unimmunize, delete the logs, deactivate the bad download blocker, and if i had been using teatimer i would also disable that. that is just the way i do it to not encounter possible trouble when installing the new one.

i dont know anything about spysweeper, so cant advise you on that.

honda12
2008-07-05, 13:31
@Deltona

Well, a new version of Spybot S&D (1.6) is going to be released on Monday 7th July, so I would wait until then :bigthumb:

I recommended (like blues) that you disable any protection you have and undo your immunisation before uninstalling any previous versions of Spybot

Then you can go and install the new version :crowned:

Deltona
2008-07-05, 14:22
<<< a new version of Spybot S&D (1.6) is going to be released on Monday 7th July, so I would wait until then >>>

I guess patience is not my strong suit ... whilst awaiting more instructions, I ended up removing all traces of all versions of SpyBot; then I disabled all 13 shields of Spy Sweeper; then I disabled Spy Sweeper itself; and then I downloaded and installed SpyBot 1.5.2.20.

With Spy Sweeper still disengaged, I was able to successfully immunize with SpyBot. Then, and only then, did I re-enable Spy Sweeper.

It appears everything's working splendidly at present. I am very grateful to all of you for your kindness. I plan to pay this blessing forward on other software boards for which I answer newbie questions ... thanks again, folks.

drragostea
2008-07-05, 20:18
@Deltona, that was where I was going to pick off. x[ honda and blues got there before me :laugh:.

Like they said, uninstall all previous versions before upgrading. I'm saying this because you might result in TWO Spybot-SD entries in your ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS window.

To avoid conflict when immunizing disable ALL the shields. It may be tedious, but it's only once a week ; ).

MedRxMan
2008-07-08, 00:51
[FONT="Tahoma"]@Deltona, that was where I was going to pick off. x[ honda and blues got there before me :laugh:.

Like they said, uninstall all previous versions before upgrading. I'm saying this because you might result in TWO Spybot-SD entries in your ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS wind

Ok, I haven't used SpyBot in a while so today when I updated, the update included the new 1.5.2 version which I mistakenly installed to the same diretory.

I now do have TWO Spybot-SD entries in my ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS.

Now what would you suggest.

SpyBot however is working fine.

TIA,

BL

drragostea
2008-07-08, 00:56
Although, I'm not if this might resolve the problem...

Med, uninstall BOTH entries of Spybot-SD. And then run the small fix indicated in the uninstall article. And then reinstall Spybot.

MedRxMan
2008-07-08, 02:03
Worked well,
Used this sequence:

Unimmunized
deleted logs
deactivated bad download blocker
disables teatimer

went to add/remove programs and removed both spybot entries
restarted computer
installed new SSD 15.2
downloaded updates
did immunization

scan now in progress

Is there a quick scan feature?

drragostea
2008-07-08, 04:24
Sadly, no. Spybot is not "configured" like other anti-spyware programs like AdAware that enable quick or deep scan.

The average scan time (fastest) would be around 20-35 minutes. This depends on the number of files on the computer.

However, scan times are drastically improved and is much faster in upcoming release Spybot-SD v.1.6.

Grinch80
2008-07-09, 03:04
The advice in this thread has been quite good, but I have an easier way for you Deltona in the future. FYI, I use Spybot, SpywareBlaster, & Spy Sweeper together, but don't use the hosts file at all (totally locked).

I had the same problems as you, not just with immunizing Spybot, but also SpywareBlaster (when I check one for an update, I always check the other). Took me a while to figure it out, but now I have a simple process I follow.

You don't need to disable all the Spy Sweeper shields. Just right-click Spy Sweeper in the icon bar and shut it down. Then update/immunize Spybot. Reboot (you can't for some reason reload Spy Sweeper after shutting it down w/o a reboot). Done.

Much easier then disabling all your shields in SpySweeper. Hope this helps.

drragostea
2008-07-09, 04:28
Shutting down ALL of the shields may be tedious (maybe) by it's well worth the chance of not rebooting.

What's the point of using the HOSTS file when you are preventing any program from accessing it by locking it down?

With the exception of malware redirection.

wyrmrider
2008-07-09, 05:47
He doesn't use the host file at all
Why?
Did posters to this thread update to 1.6 yet?

honda12
2008-07-09, 11:05
Did posters to this thread update to 1.6 yet?

I have downloaded and installed Spybot S&D 1.6 as soon as it was released in the way described in these posts :bigthumb:

Heres the mirror download link: http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html

He doesn't use the host file at all
Why?

I don't know, but a common reason is that the Host file can slow down some pcs, especially if they are over 135kb in size :police:

drragostea
2008-07-09, 23:51
Hm, that's what I keep thinking. I don't use extra software like hostsman or HPHosts. However, I noticed that my HOSTS file size has been in the 240's kB.

blues
2008-07-10, 00:14
it doesnt hurt to disable the dns client, but i dont know if someone MAY lose their connection to the internet when doing that. when i use all the hostsfiles i use and have the dns client enabled then my computer is unusable. and when hitting the backbutton on some site where some content is blocked, i must hit it several times when the dns client is enabled, but with hostsman the backbutton problem disappears. my hostsfile is 2202 kb big.

drragostea
2008-07-10, 00:20
Hm, I used to experience the same problem some weeks ago where some pages would not load. I center-clicked the page (tabbed browsing) and it came up as blank.

A 2MB HOSTS file... seems a big large.

It sounds like you're adding 100,000 sites than 10,000.

cwb1014
2008-07-10, 03:13
Earlier today, I upgraded to 1.6 from whatever version immediately preceded it. When I attempted to immunize on one of my computers, the process began normally but very soon kept running and running without making any progress. The only way to end this endless futile process was to shut S&D down completely from Task Manager (clicking on the X in the upper-right-hand corner of the program's interface window did absolutely nothing--immunization just kept chugging along and going absolutely nowhere).

I then decided to remove all traces of S&D from my computer using the instructions at http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html. Everything proceeded well until I attempted to run the remove-spybotsd-settings file which I downloaded from the "this very small fix" link (= http://www.safer-networking.org/files/remove-spybotsd-settings.reg) on the page. When I double-clicked on this file and then clicked Run on the dialog box that popped up, I got a message from Microsoft (I'm using Windows XP Pro) telling me "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."

Can someone here please tell me how to get this file to work so that I can rid of all traces of prior installations of S&D? Once I've done that, I'll reinstall 1.6and hopefully immunization will no longer hang.

Also, if anyone has any other ideas as to how to prevent immunization from hanging once I've got 1.6 reinstalled, please let me know.

Look forward to hearing from someone soon and many thanks in advance for any help that anyone here may be able to offer.

============

P.S., On an unrelated matter, this is the 2nd time I've composed this post. The first time, I was presented with exactly the same interface I'm using to compose this one, composed it in its entirety, clicked preview, and then clicked Preview Post. At that point, I was told that I was not logged in and lost the entire post which I'd composed. Perhaps someone here could get that problem fixed so that future posters don't have to compose a lengthy post only to lose it in its entirety when they attempt to preview it because they're not logged in (if they weren't logged in, how did they get access to the interface in the first place???).

drragostea
2008-07-10, 04:46
I have a solution to completely remove Spybot traces and start a fresh install.

Install Revo Uninstaller, and run it in Advanced Mode. If Spybot tells to reboot, do not. Then delete the registry keys found.

Reboot and run the 'small fix'. If you did it correctly...
-The small fix should
downloaded directly to the desktop
Right-click and click MERGE

I don't think you're suppose to "run" it.
--
http://www.revouninstaller.com/
--

Then install Spybot-SD 1.6.

P.S. If it says you are not logged on, then just log on. Say like you have the post then click POST. Fill in the username and password, then the post will be posted under your username.

If this doesn't work copy and paste your response.

cwb1014
2008-07-10, 06:39
Install Revo Uninstaller, and run it in Advanced Mode. If Spybot tells to reboot, do not. Then delete the registry keys found.

I tried this and Revo Uninstaller did not find Spybot S&D (I had uninstalled it, but for running the "small fix", before my initial post above).

Reboot and run the 'small fix'. If you did it correctly...
-The small fix should
downloaded directly to the desktop
Right-click and click MERGE

I don't think you're suppose to "run" it.

Then install Spybot-SD 1.6.

I tried right-click and MERGE, but the exact same dialog box popped up when I did, at which point my only choices were Run and Cancel. I clicked Run and got exactly the same message I'd gotten previously.

Many thanks for your efforts here, but it looks like this issue is still unresolved.

Look forward to hearing more and many thanks in advance...

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-10, 07:33
cwb1014:

It sounds like you have a file association problem with REG files.

The following Web page has fixes for problems with file associations:
Windows® XP File Association Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
The fix for REG files is:
REG File Association Fix (http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_regfile.zip) (Restore default associations for REG files)
To fix the problem:
Download the xp_regfile.zip file and extract xp_regfile.reg to a known location.
Go to Start » Run » when the Run dialog opens type "regedit" (no quotes) in the Open field and click OK.
When Registry Editor opens go to the File menu and select Import.
Navigate to the xp_regfile.reg that you just extracted and open it. That should import the registry entries required to fix the REG file association problem.
Close Registry Editor.
Using Windows Explorer navigate to the remove-spybotsd-settings.reg file that you downloaded earlier.
Double click on it
Answer Yes then OK.

cwb1014
2008-07-10, 09:29
cwb1014:

To fix the problem:
Download the xp_regfile.zip file and extract xp_regfile.reg to a known location.
Go to Start » Run » when the Run dialog opens type "regedit" (no quotes) in the Open field and click OK.
When Registry Editor opens go to the File menu and select Import.
Navigate to the xp_regfile.reg that you just extracted and open it. That should import the registry entries required to fix the REG file association problem.
Close Registry Editor.
Using Windows Explorer navigate to the remove-spybotsd-settings.reg file that you downloaded earlier.
Double click on it
Answer Yes then OK.

Thanks very much for your help. Your solution worked perfectly!

blues
2008-07-10, 11:20
this statement from me was wrong: and when hitting the backbutton on some site where some content is blocked, i must hit it several times when the dns client is enabled.

i am really sorry:sad: that issue has nothing with the dns client to do. this issue happens because not using a server like hostsman has when using the hostsfile.

this is about the hostsman server: HostsServer is a freeware local HTTP Server designed to speed up surfing when a custom hosts file is in use.

Other Features:
display a message or an image when content is blocked
log blocked urls

blues
2008-07-10, 11:44
i forgot to say that the dns client still can cause slowdown when using a big hostsfile.