PDA

View Full Version : teatimer resident size too large?

MikeMcD
2008-07-05, 05:37
In poking around after system developed problems (slowdown, temporary lockups, applications will stop running then start again, as noted in task mgr), I noticed in task manager processes that teatimer.exe is running between 33000k to 44000k. I don't remember it being this large in residence, is this too large?

Any ideas how to trouble shoot the slowdowns and lockups?

Sidebar:
Zonealarm free, spybot S&D, spywareblaster, and AVG 7.5 free
I recently upgraded to AVG 8 free, didnt' like, and went back to AVG 7.5, and
recently started using Sea Monkey instead of Netscape 7.2
Regular spybot and AVG scans show no problems.

drragostea
2008-07-05, 06:44
This is normal for TeaTimer to be running around 30-40MB of RAM during computer usage. Spybot-SD 1.6, released on Monday July 7th, will be much simpler and ease of use and will use less memory.

ZA Free & Spybot-SD shouldn't be a problem as they can both co-exist, so it's fine. SpywareBlaster does not run as a task nor does it run in the background. It sets "killbits" in your computer, so it's more like a preventive measure against those annoying ads and "colorful" misleading, :laugh:, banners on some sites.

If you would like more information on how Spybot-SD protects against malware, see: How Spybot-SD protects against the installation of Spyware/Malware (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281).

However, I've seen some problems... well maybe some "thorn on your side" with AVG. I quit using AVG 8 because it was using 50MB of RAM when idle. And with that combined with TeaTimer on 512MB of RAM, my cooling fan is constantly on. Which I can say is a thorn on my side.

I heard that AVG 7.5 support will end on June 31st, although I'm not sure. I would suggest you upgrade to 8.0 as it includes Spyware scanning and protection too. LinkScanner Lite as a bonus.

MikeMcD
2008-07-05, 17:12
Thank you.

Teatimer is one less thing to worry about now!

I had read on some forums that AVG 7.5 would be maintained thru 12/31/08, but that's hearsay.

wyrmrider
2008-07-05, 19:08
AVG 8 and now Counterspy no longer support Win 98/ME
I switched to Avast
still with Spybot

drragostea
2008-07-05, 20:26
@rider, correction. AVG 7.5 support for legacy OS's will be until August 2008.

AVG 8.0 does NOT support legacy OS's.

http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index.php?act=calendar&cal_id=1&code=showevent&event_id=47470
--