PDA

View Full Version : Problem in uninstalling Search & Destroy

homeport
2006-03-17, 19:26
I had Searh & Destroy installed Ver.1.4. I wanted to uninstall the program but was not allowed to do so thru Add/Remove or through the Program Files/Search & Destroy uninstall. I then deleted all files that I could from Windows Explorer and also from the Registry. However, the C:\Program Files\S & D could not be deleted because it would not allow me to delete the Tea Timer.exe or the advcheck.dll.

How can I delete these so I can reinstall a clean program?
Thanks

md usa spybot fan
2006-03-17, 21:02
Stopping TeaTimer from running:
Look for the TeaTimer System Tray Icon. If the icon is there:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon.
Left click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
TeaTimer should close.
Delete the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy

homeport
2006-03-17, 21:32
The Tea Timer did not have an icon in the Tray. However, I went back to the Program Files/Search & Destroy and after opening I was able to delete these 2 files.

The problem was created because I could not uninstall the program either from Add/Remove or from the Uninstall file in the S & D directory. Do you have any idea as to why this occured?

Thanks

noel-pr7
2006-04-01, 00:51
The Tea Timer did not have an icon in the Tray. However, I went back to the Program Files/Search & Destroy and after opening I was able to delete these 2 files.

The problem was created because I could not uninstall the program either from Add/Remove or from the Uninstall file in the S & D directory. Do you have any idea as to why this occured?

Thanks

It could be several things, homeport. disk corruption (like crashes, lockups, BSODs, etc.) can mysteriously trash certain files including the spybot uninstall file.

To completely un-install Spybot without using Add/Remove programs, follow what "md usa spybot fan" says first, then delete the following folder:
(if using Spybot under Windows 9x/ME delete this folder)
"C:\WINDOWS\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy"
(if using Spybot under Windows NT4/2000 delete this folder)
"C:\WINNT\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy"
(if using Spybot under Windows XP delete this folder)
"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy"

Then run Registry Editor (regedit.exe), find and delete the following Registry Keys:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PepiMK Software
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PepiMK Software

then search the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" registry key for any references to "TeaTimer.exe" and delete them. then find other registry entries that reference the non-existent Spybot software and delete them and restart the computer.

I did those things one time a few years ago when removing an older version of Spybot because the uninstall info was no longer there and I had to delete the files and registry entries manually.