PDA

View Full Version : Auto scan questions

frolo
2008-07-07, 15:56
My first automatic scan was done this morning. I have it set for 8 a.m. each Monday. I checked the computer screen a couple of times and found the scan progressing. At the last check, there was nothing showing on the screen except the regular Desktop. I cannot figure out if the scan was completed, and if so, where are the results that I would see upon completion of a manual scan. I used to do it manually but it now takes so long--over 45 minutes--that I decided to try an automatic scan at a time that I normally am not using the computer. Any help would be appreciated.

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-07, 16:38
frolo:

It would seem that you may have elected to use the "/autoclose" parameter which "Closes program after it has scanned or updated." Reference:
Are there any command line parameters?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/30.html
Regardless if you run a "Check for problems" manually or automate the scan using command line the parameter "/autocheck", by default here are two Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log files produced during a scan. The second Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log has the details of what the scan found. In addition a Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file is produced if you fix or attempt to fix something (either manually or through automation).

There are two methods to review that information:
Method 1:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Previous reports. Look for the Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log or Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file that contains the scan results you are interested in. Open it.
Method 2
The Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log and Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log files are stored in the following folders:
Windows 95 or 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows ME:
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows Vista:
C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the correct Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log or Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file. Double click on it and it should open with Notepad.

frolo
2008-07-07, 19:22
Thanks for that quick and helpful reply. I was able to view the log of this morning's scan. Now for the next step: When I was doing a manual scan, the screen that appeared at the conclusion of the scan allowed me to get details on the various items found and to remove them if I wished. How do I do that with auto scan? Or should I opt for automatic fixing of problems found and not worry about something bad happening?

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-07, 20:46
frolo:

... When I was doing a manual scan, the screen that appeared at the conclusion of the scan allowed me to get details on the various items found and to remove them if I wished. How do I do that with auto scan? ...
If you are not using options such as "/taskbarhide", "/autofix" and "/autoclose", you should still be able to do that after a scan completes.

... Or should I opt for automatic fixing of problems found and not worry about something bad happening?
Not necessarily the best option considering the possibility of false positives.

What parameter are you using with your scheduled scan?

frolo
2008-07-07, 21:44
frolo:

If you are not using options such as "/taskbarhide", "/autofix" and "/autoclose", you should still be able to do that after a scan completes.

I don't see an options tab anywhere. I have not clicked on anything concerning autoclose. I'm afraid I'm a bit lost here.

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-07, 22:06
I don't see an options tab anywhere. I have not clicked on anything concerning autoclose. I'm afraid I'm a bit lost here.
There is no options tab for setting up a scheduled scan (OS Scheduled Task). The options that are performed during a Spybot Scheduled Task are controlled by the parameters used in the Scheduled Task:

Reference:
Are there any command line parameters?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/30.html

frolo
2008-07-07, 22:32
Sorry I'm so dense on this. I went back to Scheduler and I did see two items that I guess are parameters: Fix problems and close program. Neither is checked.

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-07, 23:54
frolo:

Go into Spybot » Mode » Advanced mode » Settings » Scheduler, click the Edit button. The information in the Run area is the command being executed when the scheduled activity executes. The parameters follow the execution command. i.e. The following executes Spybot (SpybotSD.exe) and runs a scan (/AUTOCHECK):
"C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /AUTOCHECK

frolo
2008-07-08, 01:19
In the Run area for me are two items, both of which are checked: 1. Run only if logged on; 2. Enables (scheduled task runs at specified time). That's all I see there.

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-08, 01:47
frolo:

The Run area is the first entry area on the screen (near the top). Please copy (Hightlight then Ctrl + C) and paste (Ctrl + V) it to a new posts.

If that command only contains the parameter "/AUTOCHECK" then the results of the scan would normally remain on the screen unless other automation changes were made in Advanced mode » Settings » Settings.

frolo
2008-07-08, 03:15
Here's what you asked for: Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /AUTOCHECK

Also, I checked Settings/Settings and couldn't see anything that would call for closing the program after the scan was done.

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-08, 04:21
frolo:

I don't know why the program is closing, but at least you know where the scan results can be viewed.

frolo
2008-07-08, 14:48
I sure want to thank you for hanging in there with me. Weird thing: I have two computers. The laptop S&D is set for auto scan on Tuesdays at 7 a.m. After today's scan, there was the results page with options on what to do with the items. As far as I can tell, all my settings are the same for the laptop as for the desktop computer. Thanks again for all your help and effort.