PDA

View Full Version : Problem uninstalling Spybot

dicknutz
2008-07-07, 22:21
Hello, apparently, Spybot didn't uninstall properly and is causing problems. When windows boots up, an error pops up and says "Windows cannot find 'C\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy \ SDDelFile.exe". This wouldn't be so bad except it stops explorer.exe from launching so i'm left with just my background, nothing else. I've figured out to run a new task in Task Manager, but can't figure out how to get rid of Spybot. I've uninstalled it using the Add/Remove command, tried the "very small fix" which didn't help, and have searched the registry for spybot but haven't found anything. I've deleted the Program Files Spybot folder and even reinstalled the program, all, to no avail. Does anyone have any info on this? Any help is appreciated.

Dick

wyrmrider
2008-07-07, 22:56
try autoruns by sysinternals or another program which shows auto start / auto run locations
you say you already tried reinstalling and re-removing?
which os and any other protection software which might be hindering removal?

you might have to go into safe mode to disable this autostartup entry- my guess at what's happening

you could reinstall and then remove in safe mode
hmmmm

dicknutz
2008-07-08, 17:38
Ok, thanks for the info. I'll try that sysinternal software and let you know.

Dick

wyrmrider
2008-07-08, 20:47
good luck
I do not know if spybot does this but many uninstallers set a "run once" on reboot to remove files in use
BTW
Several uninstall management programs hose these files if not used correctly

I would have thought that a reinstall would have replaced your missing SSDDelfile

did you try a search to see if there might be a copy somewhere?

Perhaps an expert will wander by
MDUSASPYBOTFAN

wyrmrider
2008-07-09, 05:39
you there?
see this page
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html

very small fix
http://www.safer-networking.org/files/remove-spybotsd-settings.reg

drragostea
2008-07-09, 23:42
Arg! I forgot whether this might be one or the another. I solved this problem before...

dicknutz, what is the version of the Spybot that you have on your computer? Can you execute Spybot?

My solution is to install the current Spybot over the old one. I'm thinking the the uninstall file is missing. Installing over the old one should correct it.

@Rider, the member has indicated (dicknutz) that they have attempted to uninstall but failed. The member has also indicated that they applied the 'small fix'.

wyrmrider
2008-07-10, 07:11
I noticed the failed uninstall and Very small fix but I thought he had tried to reinstall and then re-uninstall and still had the message
I too thought a reinstall would replace his missing SSDDelfile
let's hope we hear back at what is asking to run the SSDelfile

After removing AVG it took me awhile to find the bootime scan in Autoexec.bat, the bootime scan tried to run upon every reboot- but could not find the file

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-10, 08:03
The SDDelFile.exe appears to be missing from the final build of Spybot - Search & Destroy version: 1.6.0 (build: 20080707).

dicknutz
2008-07-10, 17:42
Hey everyone, I really appreciate your time and effort. Been out of town so haven't tried anything recently, will tonight and let you guys know if I can solve the problem. I think your probably right, beta version could be a problem because....well, it's beta. Thanks everyone!

Dick

dicknutz
2008-07-10, 17:44
To clarify, there was no problem uninstalling, as in, there were no errors and it is removed from the list. I did reinstall Spybot, but had 3 different versions so my thinking is the beta was installed and it being beta, didn't uninstall properly.

wyrmrider
2008-07-10, 18:02
Looks as if Dicknutz either needs a copy of the file or a way to disable whatever is calling the file
thanks for the info MD_USA_SPYBOT_FAN
you came through yet again