PDA

View Full Version : Persistant Registry Entry Causing Chaos!

ender69
2006-03-17, 22:36
I had a friends PC with a lot of problems... Internet connection and IE / Explorer problems - delays and crashing etc.

I updated and ran SBSD in safe mode and this alone or in conjunction with Ashampoo and MSconfig has obviated the problems of connection although some issues continued to be re-detected.

I ran each of these again and this time I went to the file location and physically deleted the files which were referred to in the entries. I also manually scanned the system folders for programs which did not look right (nonsense or 'leading' file and folder names etc).

I removed a few entries in the add/remove programs list where I felt that the program may not serve a legitimate function for the user.

The problem is that a function tries continually to reinsert a registry entry and the Resident feature continually blocks it. Good so far, but the notifications of blocking take up almost the entire screen unless a window is open (covering) it. It is THAT persistent.

I wonder:

1) How I can find out whether it is a good or bad entry to have.
2) How I can find the file which is trying to re-insert it
3) If it is good how I can remove it from the blocklist
4) if it is bad but I cant stop it, how I can make the resident notifications silent.

Additional Info

While writing this, it has occurred to me that I could check the CPU usage of processes when nothing else is running, but this might not work since the machine is of a good spec and the usage may not register I will try this out when I am there early next week but would still like you to consider my issues..

Re installation of Windows is not a preferred option. As mentioned, the machine is of a good spec and the overhead of this silent war is negligable apart from the current visual irritant.

The registry entry is 86227D9C-OEFE-4F8A-AA55-30386A-3F5686.

Spybot Rocks!!!

LonnyRJones
2006-03-22, 15:26
Hi

Start by fallowing the instructions on this page
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
Post the Hijackthis log here in this thread.
Someone will then take a look at the system and advise you

Note: if you have disabled anything since the problems started with MSconfig or other startup manager tool we need you to re-enable them, dont reboot them make a hiajckthis log.

tashi
2006-03-27, 19:37
Due to lack of a response this topic will be archived.
If you need it re-opened please send me a pm and provide a link to the thread.