PDA

View Full Version : Help with Spybot logs

Ncguy
2008-07-09, 02:11
I just installed spybot 1.6 and I think I now have the update function working. The first time I manually ran it it worked. The second time the screen goes by so fast I'm not really sure if its just verifying that everything is up to date.

Anyhow I now have Spybot setup to run as a scheduled task ( vista) in silent mode. I've tested it and it seems to run to completion. Is there a simple log anywhere within spybot that will tell you the last time run, the last time updates were downloaded, and possibly a version or revision number of the last update installed? I found a lot of very technical logs (reports) but I can't seem to find a simple run log?

Greyfox
2008-07-09, 13:15
Ncguy,

Put Spybot into Advanced mode

The date of the last update is shown on the Info & Licence screen

Now goto Tools>View report, Click on View previous report. There will be a number of files shown.
Update downloads.log will show you a dated and time stamped log of the update downloads.
Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log and .txt show details of scans run
Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.txt show details of fixes made
Resident.log shows Teatimer actions (if active)

Hope this helps

Ncguy
2008-07-09, 14:24
Ncguy,

Put Spybot into Advanced mode

The date of the last update is shown on the Info & Licence screen

Now goto Tools>View report, Click on View previous report. There will be a number of files shown.
Update downloads.log will show you a dated and time stamped log of the update downloads.
Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log and .txt show details of scans run
Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.txt show details of fixes made
Resident.log shows Teatimer actions (if active)

Hope this helps

Yes, that helps a lot! Everything looks good and I can see that the updates were downloaded this morning from the log and the info screen. I think I'm good for now on that topic. Many thanks again!

This may be off topic but in general is it safe to run tea timer and immunize in vista? From what I've read these functions provide extra monitoring and will interrupt certain vogue processes which seems desirable. What I dont understand is why does it have to update so many internal files to make this happen? And what exactly is it doing to those files?

spybotsandra
2008-07-09, 15:15
Hello,

Immunizing your system and activating the TeaTimer is always recommended, also in vista. YOur system is more safer then. And you only need to update the detection rules and the immunization database for that.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Greyfox
2008-07-09, 15:16
Ncguy,

I don't have Vista so I'm perhaps not the best one to answer your question, however immunisation is one of Spybot's main prevention tools, and I would strongly recommend making use of it.

Whether you choose to use Teatimer is to me a matter of personal preference. Again it is a very useful active tool, but unless you are prepared to put some thought into the decisions you have to make (i.e. whether to allow or deny a particular registry change it has flagged) it can create some problems. The majority of the issues that appear in the forum about Teatimer are issues that result from not allowing something that should have been allowed, or allowing something that shouldn't have been allowed.

Edit: Sorry Sandra, you obviously type faster than I do

Ncguy
2008-07-09, 15:18
Hello,

Immunizing your system and activating the TeaTimer is always recommended, also in vista. YOur system is more safer then. And you only need to update the detection rules and the immunization database for that.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

So its not actually updating any system files outside of specific sbybot databases?

Greyfox
2008-07-09, 16:04
So its not actually updating any system files outside of specific sbybot databases?

You may find reading http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281 will give you a better understanding of how it works

Ncguy
2008-07-09, 17:31
thanks greyfox,

I'll study the docs and then maybe have some more specific questions later:)