PDA

View Full Version : Update file corrupted says Spybot alert.

nagan
2008-07-09, 15:52
Today while checking for update other than the normal updates there was a main update.So it connected to internet thru my Firewall and downloded approx 9 MB.While installing the setup says the update is corrupted.

Once again I went to updates and there is no mention of main update.The version is still at 1.5.2. your advice please.

spybotsandra
2008-07-09, 15:55
Hello,

There was a little bug in our last updates that should be fixed now.

Further please upgrade your program, version 1.6 is available!
Just install over the old version.
You can download the new version here:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

nagan
2008-07-09, 19:34
Even as the computer booted I was surprised to see an unusual CPU spike >50% for teatimer.. Even though the size of Teatimer has commendably come down the CPU bug? has to be addressed.So for the time being I am switching off Teatimer.

drragostea
2008-07-10, 01:00
No worries. TeaTimer is at 14MB for me.

Uninstall Spybot-SD 1.5.2.20 and upgrade to the latest version (1.6). This resolves the memory problem. TeaTimer is now 'easier' to use and has smaller 'footprints' in the memory.

nagan
2008-07-10, 16:29
No worries. TeaTimer is at 14MB for me.

Uninstall Spybot-SD 1.5.2.20 and upgrade to the latest version (1.6). This resolves the memory problem. TeaTimer is now 'easier' to use and has smaller 'footprints' in the memory.

Well thanks for the reply.I have already installed 1.6 and the CPU problem concerns that.Do you mean now I should uninstall 1.5.2??

Ok.Uninstalled 1.5.2 from the programs.Started 1.6 .Still the cpu spikes >50%.

wyrmrider
2008-07-10, 17:58
back in the day I discovered I had both 1.5 and 1.4 installed in add remove programs
so I "removed" 1.4
1.5 was then emasculated
so I had to remove 1.5 but the remover was gone
so I reinstalled 1.5 and then removed it again to get all the fragments
then made a clean install of 1.5

moral of story
if something in your 1.6 is not working as you think it should
uninstall
run removal tool
reboot as instructed
reinstall

otherwise you got lucky and are good to go
Someone else will have to comment on the usage too high issue- if it is then do the reinstall
good luck
Wyrmrider

nagan
2008-07-10, 19:22
back in the day I discovered I had both 1.5 and 1.4 installed in add remove programs
so I "removed" 1.4
1.5 was then emasculated
so I had to remove 1.5 but the remover was gone
so I reinstalled 1.5 and then removed it again to get all the fragments
then made a clean install of 1.5

moral of story
if something in your 1.6 is not working as you think it should
uninstall
run removal tool
reboot as instructed
reinstall

otherwise you got lucky and are good to go
Someone else will have to comment on the usage too high issue- if it is then do the reinstall
good luck
Wyrmrider

Does a clean install reduce the CPU spike??

drragostea
2008-07-10, 21:28
Does a clean install reduce the CPU spike??

It depends on the programs you are currently running beside TeaTimer. For me, some hours of use, TeaTimer still uses a decent 16MB of RAM. But this is specifically for my computer. It varies with each user's PC.

If you are running many processes, say like 40-50 simultaneously, it can result in TeaTimer having high memory usage. I recall that when the user is making decisions, TeaTimer will be 50 CPU.

nagan, clear the cache, temp. files, and cookies from your browsers. All of them. Remove all entries of Spybot-SD. Reboot. Run the small fix. Install the new Spybot.

The major point is to run the small fix after reboot.

nagan
2008-07-11, 13:53
It depends on the programs you are currently running beside TeaTimer. For me, some hours of use, TeaTimer still uses a decent 16MB of RAM. But this is specifically for my computer. It varies with each user's PC.

If you are running many processes, say like 40-50 simultaneously, it can result in TeaTimer having high memory usage. I recall that when the user is making decisions, TeaTimer will be 50 CPU.

nagan, clear the cache, temp. files, and cookies from your browsers. All of them. Remove all entries of Spybot-SD. Reboot. Run the small fix. Install the new Spybot.

The major point is to run the small fix after reboot.
Many thanks for the reply.I want to use the software at the earliest.Can you tell me where the fix is?

nagan
2008-07-11, 17:16
I seemed to have found the reason and it is listed here.
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=211571#post211571

drragostea
2008-07-12, 00:35
@nagan, you could have continued the thread right here. No need to start a new one.

--
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html
--

You can find the fix here. Do you have Spybot-SD already installed?

nagan
2008-07-12, 10:33
OK.Did the uninstall,fixed and reinstalled.Still the CPU usage at start is above 50%.It remains for a minute or so.Even the "search for updates" seems to hang during that time.After a minute it is normal.Did not observe the same behaviour in 1.5.There needs to be something done esp on the CPU spike part.

Greyfox
2008-07-12, 12:35
nagan,

The teatimer CPU use in version 1.6.0.30 has been raised before and I think in more than one thread, however it is certainly covered in
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30651.

There has also been mention of the memory usage growing over time when the computer is running for many hours.

I'm sure that at some stage one of the Spybot team will pick up on the issues raised and give some definitive answers.

nagan
2008-07-12, 12:42
nagan,

The teatimer CPU use in version 1.6.0.30 has been raised before and I think in more than one thread, however it is certainly covered in
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30651.

There has also been mention of the memory usage growing over time when the computer is running for many hours.

I'm sure that at some stage one of the Spybot team will pick up on the issues raised and give some definitive answers.
Exact problem even during beta??

Greyfox
2008-07-12, 16:07
Exact problem even during beta??

nagan,

I don't know, I didn't run any of the beta releases for 1.6 as I was trialling a beta version of some other software and I don't like to have two beta products on the go at once, however all of the posts in the thread I referred you to were about the final release version 1.6.0.30

nagan
2008-07-12, 19:31
Getting a bit restless here.After being so long with 1.5 and without any major problems,this high cpu usage of 1.6 seems to have no clue.Any devolopers please reply the reasons of this behaviour or if it needs to be corrected please say so.Thanks.

nagan
2008-07-13, 17:28
Sorry for the bump! But can't somebody explain on the phenomenon of high CPU usage at the beginning.Would like to know the reasons or conflicts with other programs that is causing the problem?I wan't to use Spybot ,not keep it aside.