PDA

View Full Version : Log on log off loop problem

twiese
2008-07-09, 18:41
Hi - I am a long time Spybot user. I'm on Windows XP, service pack 2. I downloaded service pack 3 about three weeks ago but have not yet installed it. I last downloaded the Sypbot updates on June 30, ran the system, ran the "fix problem" stuff. No problems that day. July 1 when I went to open my machine, I experienced the "log on log off loop". I did try running in safe mode. Same result - log on log off. Microsoft web site of course is no real help, so I googled the problem. Got a list of very conflicting advice about how to solve it (so I can access my system!). One of the postings said this is caused by a malware that changes a file when the malware is removed. Since you are my removal tool, and the fact that this occurred the day after I downloaded new stuff from you, I am hoping you have had expeience with this with other users. My first question is - how do I fix the error so that I can open my system? My second question is - how can I protect from this occuring in the future, as I do want to remove malware? (I hope that second question makes sense).

Blade81
2008-07-13, 00:17
Hi

Is your Spybot version 1.3 or 1.4? I suggest you check this (http://forums.spybot.info/blog.php?b=14) blog entry and follow the instructions given there.

twiese
2008-07-13, 08:11
I do not know what Spybot release I am on. I originally loaded it in October 2004, and have faithfully uploaded updates weekly since then. I do not recall ever being prompted to update my release level. (Obviously since I cannot log on, I can't look this info up).

I'm not on a network, so the first option won't work. Options 2 and 4 are totally over my head! I'm not sure what is meant by "dirty" - how do I know which of those choices I should do?