PDA

View Full Version : Unclear dialog (v1.6.0.30)

xerces8
2008-07-10, 13:26
(see attached picture)
What is S&D telling in this dialog ?
What is it asking ?
Why isn't the dialog readable, like all others on my PC ?

Regards,
David

Greyfox
2008-07-10, 16:53
It shows correctly on my PC (see attachment)

The message appears when Spybot is started if the number of files in the users temporary folder has reached a trigger point. The more temporary files there are, the more the adverse effect on the scan speed. It gives you the opportunity to have Spybot clear the temporary folder (delete the files).

Normally I maintain the number of files in my temp folder at absolute minimum and consequently below the trigger point the activates the message, but to get the screen shot I specifically added a pile of files into the temporary folder.

The number in the Yes button is a 15 second countdown timer - if you have not made a choice by the time it reaches 0 the files are deleted.

Edit: Well I've just noticed there is a typo in it - "Dou"

d_t_a
2008-08-08, 04:37
not directly related to the posting but...

Which exact Temporary Folder is Spybot 1.6 trying to clean up during startup?

Is it the directory pointed by the TEMP environment variable -- typically points to "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temp"?

I click "No" to clean up since when I'm trying out & still testing shareware/programs from the Internet, I usually install them on a TEMP folder on my PC (and wouldn't want Spybot or other utilities to unceremoniously delete the files there without telling me beforehand).

DougCuk
2008-08-08, 08:08
xerces8, it looks like you have a font size problem and Spybot is not adjusting the popup windows to accomodate the larger font size you have set.

d t a, You are correct it is the Windows TEMP folder that is being offered for cleaning. I'm puzzled as to why you would choose to install programs to this folder rather than one you created - it must be difficult to identify what files belong to the program you are testing. I always create my own folder to test a new shareware program - assuming it doesn't install itself into Program Files folder.

It is possible to disable the new Temp Folder Cleaning option but only via a Registry Tweak which is documented here: http://wiki.spybot.info/index.php/Registry_Tweaks#DisableTempFolderCleaning

Editing the registry can be dangerous - if you screw up the edit. If you are not comfortable with it then moving your test programs out of the Windows TEMP folder to a folder you control might be a better solution to your concerns.

ME_2&
2008-08-08, 16:10
.. if not a true art, although sometimes it may be merely a hangnail - still possible to drown in a teacup.

Further, as long as you know your machine you will know what's best sooner or later :cowboy: Many times remnants are left behind in the Temp *or* small cleanup files that run on REboot after an uninstall or … usually I've found on my primitive comp that it's safe to delete or shred these after a few boots or days go by (if they remain). It can be surprising how much stuff can accumulate even with fairly diligent housekeeping. People get tired and RL is always there to grab you.

My Temp usually has one particular file from SB41 that I leave since SB41 recreates it whenever I open the app for a spotcheck or update. And yes, there's still that strange fluttery apparition when SSD160 loads but it's like a friendly wave, ;)

d_t_a
2008-08-09, 07:22
xerces8, it looks like you have a font size problem and Spybot is not adjusting the popup windows to accomodate the larger font size you have set.

d t a, You are correct it is the Windows TEMP folder that is being offered for cleaning. I'm puzzled as to why you would choose to install programs to this folder rather than one you created - it must be difficult to identify what files belong to the program you are testing. I always create my own folder to test a new shareware program - assuming it doesn't install itself into Program Files folder.

It is possible to disable the new Temp Folder Cleaning option but only via a Registry Tweak which is documented here: http://wiki.spybot.info/index.php/Registry_Tweaks#DisableTempFolderCleaning

Ok, thanks. So it's the C:\Windows\Temp folder (I was suspecting the Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temp).

Actually I typically install programs for testing in a C:\Temp folder (not Windows\Temp) but in one occasion when I tried out some other shareware cleaner software, it actually cleaned out my C:\Temp folder without my knowing it until I was looking for the programs I was still testing...).

BTW, I also note that some other users not necessarily like the TEMP file cleaning on startup, so perhaps it'll be good if it's an option that can be tweaked in the "Options" of the program (rather than a Registry tweak where it's not easy to find).

For instance, see a thread here:
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&p=198399

(quote on)

There have been changes in the latest Version, 1.6.0 that I do not like:

1) Upon opening Spybot a message appears asking if you'd like to delete Temp files. This is dependent on a threshold of Temp files that has been determined by the program's authors. Since the message does not indicate the location of the Temp files I feel this is not a good feature. In my experience, the indiscriminate deletion of " Temp " files can lead to issues when updating programs, applications, or even the OS itself.

2) Spybot now adds an entry to the right click context menu, " Scan with Spybot ... " without asking for permission or even notifying the User that it will be doing this during it's installation process. IMHO, one should be asked before this "feature" is added.

Steve Wechsler (akaMowGreen) AumHa VSOP
MS-MVP Consumer Security
Data Center Management - Update Services

DougCuk
2008-08-09, 09:14
d_t_a - you misunderstand - "TEMP" and "c:\windows\temp" and c:\temp" are all totally different locations. I said you were correct because you identified the correct folder in your original post.

When I referred to the Windows TEMP folder I was using it as a generic term - not as a specific reference to the C:\windows\temp folder. The TEMP folder used by Windows has a different location depending on the version of Windows you are using and can be relocated by changing the default Environment variable as well.

The folder that gets cleaned by Spybot is whatever Windows has set as its current default TEMP folder.
In Windows XP this is normally C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Temp
In Windows 98 it is normally C:\Windows\Temp

To find out which folder your copy of Windows is using go to a command prompt and type the word SET and look for the variables TMP and TEMP - these will show the folder in use on your system.

If you are not using the Windows TEMP folder (as defined above ) for testing your programs it will remain untouched by the Spybot cleanup. Some other cleanup programs may attempt to clear any folder named Temp if located in a number of standard locations.