PDA

View Full Version : Scanning DVD heuristic results?

analog
2008-07-10, 17:09
My fairly new PC w/vista was recently infected and I had a shop clean it out and reinstall Vista. I burned onto a dvd the few documents, pictures, and music I had before dropping off the laptop. After the reinstall was completed, I scanned the dvd with Spybot and the scan log was divided into 2 sections. The first section was malware and it showed no problems. The 2nd section was titled heuristic and it listed a few jpgs and mp3s with RED X's and "smitfraud-c". Should I be concerned about these?

drragostea
2008-07-10, 20:43
It is possible the CD could be piggybacked by SmitFraud.

Are you experiencing any pop-ups or changed homepages?

Run a full scan with Spybot-SD.

Also, with the few files that were marked by red... do you have any other anti-virus or anti-spyware programs besides Spybot? One anti-spyware program won't be enough. If you do scan the disc with the program and report back on what it finds.

2008-07-10, 21:09
My fairly new PC w/vista was recently infected and I had a shop clean it out and reinstall Vista. I burned onto a dvd the few documents, pictures, and music I had before dropping off the laptop. After the reinstall was completed, I scanned the dvd with Spybot and the scan log was divided into 2 sections. The first section was malware and it showed no problems. The 2nd section was titled heuristic and it listed a few jpgs and mp3s with RED X's and "smitfraud-c". Should I be concerned about these?

this is a false positive!! see this thread: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=211232#post211232

it will be fixed with next update!! =]

drragostea
2008-07-10, 21:19
Thanks for clarifying. I never knew that.

Not all softwares are perfect :P. It'd be cool if it was.

2008-07-10, 21:21
I was just excited because i posted my first confirmed false positive. yes im a nerd :D:

drragostea
2008-07-10, 21:38
*sigh. drragostea's nerdy SAT vocabulary words is wayyyyy more nerdier than you. Lols :laugh:

analog
2008-07-10, 22:33
That's great news. I am standing by anxiously awaiting the next update. Thanks all.

2008-07-10, 22:37
Thanks for visiting the forums!! :welcome: by the way, updates usually come on a Wednesday. =]