PDA

View Full Version : Program hangs at 'Fix Problems'

olsenjolly
2008-07-10, 21:17
As I was having problems with Spybot V 1.5.2 hanging when I tried to ‘fix problems’ I decided to uninstall it and install the latest version V 1.6.0
I followed the uninstall instructions given in the under noted link to the letter.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html

I then downloaded and ran the new version and it still hangs if I have to fix a problem and I have to shut the program down via the Task Manager. I have tried downloading from different sites always with the same result – the program hangs if I try to fix a problem. I never had that problem with the 1.4 version.

So that is my first problem – then on further searching the forum I saw someone advising that before uninstalling Spybot one should unimmunize, delete the logs, deactivate the bad download blocker and also disable teatimer if you had been using it. I did not do any of that, is it necessary for the correct functioning of the program and have I done damage by not following that procedure. :red:

My OS is Win XP Home SP3
Avast anti Virus
Windows own firewall
router firewall
Spybot S&D

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-10, 21:40
olsenjolly:

As I was having problems with Spybot V 1.5.2 hanging when I tried to ‘fix problems’ I decided to uninstall it and install the latest version V 1.6.0
I followed the uninstall instructions given in the under noted link to the letter.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html

I then downloaded and ran the new version and it still hangs if I have to fix a problem and I have to shut the program down via the Task Manager. ...

What problems are you attemping to "Fix"?

By default here are two Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log files produced during a scan. The second Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log has the details of what the scan found. A Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file is produced if you fix or attempt to fix something (but probably would not be produced if you terminated the program via Task Manager.

Please indicate what you were trying to "Fix" by posting the Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log from your most resent "Check for problems" were the the "Fix selected problem" "... hangs ...".

There are two methods to copy and post the information from previous scans:
Method 1:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Previous reports. Look for the Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log or Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file that contains the detections that you like help with. Open it. To copy it to the Clipboard, right click on the listing and select Select All > Right click again and select Copy. Paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of the Clipboard into a new post in this thread.
Method 2
The Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log and Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log files are stored in the following folders:
Windows 95 or 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows ME:
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows Vista:
C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the correct Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log or Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file. Double click on it and it should open with Notepad. To copy it to the Clipboard, right click on the listing and select Select All > Right click again and select Copy. Paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of the Clipboard into a new post in this thread.

2008-07-10, 22:46
I would upgrade to the latest version available, as soon as possible.

olsenjolly
2008-07-10, 23:12
Thank you so much for your reply.

Here below as asked for is the information from the log file.
I realise that the particular problem in this case is only a cookie and that there are other ways of ridding myself of cookies but I was concerned if this was an indication that if something more serious was found Spybot would hang every time it came to trying to fix the problem as that would not be helpful.

09.07.2008 20:42:37 - ##### check started #####
09.07.2008 20:42:37 - ### Version: 1.6.0
09.07.2008 20:42:37 - ### Date: 09/07/2008 20:42:37
09.07.2008 20:42:39 - ##### checking bots #####
09.07.2008 20:57:57 - found: Right Media Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Lillias Olsen)
09.07.2008 20:58:00 - ##### check finished #####

My OS is Win XP Home SP3
Avast anti Virus
Windows own firewall
router firewall
Spybot S&D

2008-07-10, 23:18
Well if it is cookies maybe the browser is preventing spybot from removing them. Try clearing all temp internet files cookies etc. in your browser, then scan with spybot.

you could always try scanning with spybot in safe mode,

along with other antispyware or an antiviruis program.

FIRST UPDATE ALL SECURITY SOFTWARE, ANTIVIRUIS ANTISPYWARE, ETC.

How to boot into safe mode:

Reboot your computer into SafeMode by doing the following:

* Restart your computer
* After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, begin tapping F8.
* Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear.
* Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.
* Once windows loads, launch spybot and do a complete scan. remove anything found. Launch other security software and scan with them as well, remove anything found.
*restart your machine, you are now using windows in normal mode.*

Does that help?

That would be the best way to insure you are clean. I would after you ensure you are clean, remove spybot and then install the latest version 1.6. =]

Kavu2
2008-07-11, 21:23
Here's my similiar experience, maybe it can shed some light.

I had the same problem w/ SB v1.5.2
SB would hang at both the 'Fix Problem' stage as well as at the close program stage(if no problems were found). I could never get this problem resolved(even tried scanning in SafeMode and turning off McAfee AV). My computer scanned clean in all other respects(no viruses/trojans/adware detected or other problems arising). By process of elimination, I discovered that the SB Rootkits plugins were the problem(which had been released a bit earlier to that timeframe). The Plugins involved were:

(default directory d/l loc) C:\Program Files\SpyBot - Search & Destroy\Plugins

- Chai.dll
- Mate.dll
- Fennel.dll

'TCPIPAddress.dll' seemed ok and didn't conflict/cause a problem so it remained in the 'Plugins' folder.

Resolution:
I re-named the dll files to add 'old' to the end ie 'Chai.dll.old', to disable them for the SB scan. That fixed my problem and thereafter my SB scans would progress to completion w/o any problems.

Installation of SB v1.6
So w/the new version issued, I installed the complete program in hopes the issue would be solved. I did do a complete removal of SB program and used the 'small reg fix' to supposedly remove SB reg entries before installing SB v1.6 as per FAQ instructions.

After sucessful SB v1.6 install, the SB scan again stalled at closure of program(as it did under v1.5.2) . I did not try the scan w/any problems to fix(as I had none), so I can't say for sure if that also hung there as well(but I'm guessing it's the same problem). Anway I went into the SB folder and re-named the (3)SB Rootkit plugins and the problem was resolved...again.

What is the problem/conflict?
I do not know exactly other than disabling those 3 plugins solved this similiar problem for me. I'm guessing there must be some conflict between those plugins and some other s/w(AV?) on my system. Since this plugin conflict doesn't seem widespread among users, it must be some unique/limited combination of programs causing this issue...that's my non-techie guess anyway.

For ref, I use:
- McAfee AV, Firewall, SiteAdvisor,
- AdAwareSE
- Windows XP SP3
- IE7
- SB v1.6

Not sure what my conflict is, but disabling those 3 plugins allowed SB to complete scans and close (w/o having to resort to TaskManager).

Maybe give that a try. Not trying to interfere here w/the thread problem resolution...just adding my experience w/similiar problem and the work-around that helped me.

Hope this helps in some way.

2008-07-11, 21:25
for the information. =] That may help.....I am pretty sure using the latest version with latest updates should solve the problem.

olsenjolly
2008-07-11, 23:12
Firstly to 129260 member –
I cannot readily get into Safe Mode on my PC as when I try, I get a box moving about the screen saying ‘Input not supported’ or something like that and the screen is way off to the right of my monitor. I remember some time ago trying to work in Safe Mode for another problem and it was really impossible.

I would also say that it is the latest version of Spybot ( 1.6.0.30) ( fully updated) that I have installed and which still gives me the problem of hanging at ‘Fix Problems’

In response to Kavu 2 -
I will try what you suggest and see if that works for me too. Do you know what these particular plugins relate too at all and if disabling them compromises Spybot or its detection of ‘bad guys’ in any way?

Sorry to be a pest but asking questions is the only way to learn. Many thanks to all you folks willing to give your time and experience to help non techie folks like myself.

2008-07-11, 23:14
asking questions and learning is what we do here! =] read my signature haha. :cool:

Hmm, about you not being able to boot into safe mode, that sounds like your operating system needs a repair. Not a full reinstall but a repair....ether that, or the default windows driver for your monitor will not work in safe mode....try updating your monitors driver.

Also, are you running many programs when you scan with spybot? try closing everything, even the tray icons next to clock, and try a scan that way. You might have an infection which is preventing spybot from doing its scan, which is why i suggested safe mode. But since you cannot run it, i guess the best thing would be to try a boot scan with your antiviruis software or something.

Kavu2
2008-07-12, 00:17
> Olsenjolly...

Re: "Do you know what these particular plugins relate too at all and if disabling them compromises Spybot or its detection of ‘bad guys’ in any way?"

Well I believe these plugins were stated to be Rootkit detection related. So they are meant to detect Rootkits(bad guys). So yes, if disabled, SB would not detect the Rootkits that these plugins are designed to find. So yes SB would be less effective(somewhat) to that degree. I don't think it alters any of the other detection processes that SB uses to find badguys....only the Rootkits. But maybe the experts here would be better to define any lapse in security...but that's my impression of those plugins function.

But as I stated in my earlier post...that was the only way I could get SB to function at all. When it was hanging at the 'Fix problems'....and I had to use TaskManager to kill the process, those 'problems..to fix' weren't removed or fixed anyway...so SB was useless at that point. At least I got partial functioning back(basically all detections except the Rootkit scans).

So that's where I sit today w/SB v1.6 as well. That was my workaround for partial functioning. I'd gladly accept a solution if one were found/offered, but this is what I got to work for the present anyway. Maybe give that re-naming of those plugins a try and see if that lets SB scan to completion (and/or either fix problems/close) sucessfully.

You can always go back and undo the re-naming of those files to re-enable them if that does not resolve your problem.

olsenjolly
2008-07-12, 20:34
First I followed the advice given by Kavu 2 and renamed the Plugins
Chai.dll
Mate.dll
Fennell.dll
and then ran Spybot but it still hung and did not fix the problem.

So I then renamed the
TCPIPAddress.dll plugin and again ran Spybot. It hung again at the fix problem stage.
So as the above did not appear to work for me I restored the plugins to their original state.

Member 129260 mentioned that my not being able to boot into safe mode could be an indication of my operating system needing a repair. This comment reminded me that only a couple of months ago I had to restore my PC to factory settings so I decided to have another go at getting into safe mode and lo and behold I’m glad to say that I was able to get properly into safe mode this time.

I ran Spybot in safe mode and it worked perfectly finding only one cookie and it fixed it no problem at all. So that is GREAT.

As I was in safe mode I also ran my Avast anti virus programme which came up clean except that it found the following: but I guess that is another story and another search at another time to find out how to fix that!

D:\System Volume Information\_restore{530CE4CC-7AA4-472B-AB0A-C4A85E7EDA34}\RP25\A0002962.EXE\Wise0052.bin [E] Installer archive is corrupted. (42146)

I guess if Spybot finds anything that needs fixing in the future I will just have to do it via safe mode.

Anyway my grateful thanks once again to both of you for your help.

2008-07-12, 22:15
That in interesting, i am glad however that you were able to get spybot to work in safe mode. Maybe you should try a clean sweep of your computer, meaning backing up your data and formating and reinstalling everything. But if you are content where you are, that is fine as well. :)

It is weird you cannot run spybot in regular windows mode, but at least you can run it in safe mode. :bigthumb: