PDA

View Full Version : Image Verification - Very "fuzzy" image

browzer1
2008-07-11, 03:58
Hello everyone. I hate to complain, and this is NOT about Spybot, but when I did a search, it was necessary to enter two words (image verification). I understand why this is necessary. But sometimes it's almost impossible to make out what the two words are. Is there any way for you to make the two words a bit clearer.

By the way, thank you for a wonderful product. I do appreciate the work that went into it.

Harry

drragostea
2008-07-11, 04:24
Was this for user registration? I don't think Spybot has anything to do with 'CAPTCHA'. The "jumbo-mumble" letters and numbers are used to prevent bots, spambots, and robots from creating accounts.

It's one time only, for registration, as you do not have to do this again in the future.

Zenobia
2008-07-11, 04:34
There is a reload button you can press,if you cannot make out the two words.Or,there is also an audio button you can press,where you can just type in the numbers you hear in the audio.

browzer1
2008-07-11, 04:45
This was not for user registration. If you don't log in, and are searching for something, you have to enter the two words. I tried the audio, but it's somewhat muffled. Wasn't aware you could reload the words. That seems to work. Just reload until you can see something clearly.

Thank you for responding.

Harry

Zenobia
2008-07-11, 04:56
Yes,I know,I like to search incognito,and I've had quite a few arguments with image verification myself. :D:
You're welcome. :)

Greyfox
2008-07-11, 10:19
The verification procedure used for the Spybot Search (called CAPTCHA according to drragostea) may well protect against bots, but it does discriminate quite badly against those who are unfortunate to be vision impaired, and certainly does not encourage use of the search facility.

Yes I know if one is logged in you don't have to go through that process, but not all of the visitors coming to the forum are aware of that.

That's my 2 cents worth

PepiMK
2008-07-11, 12:22
Without that, the server would be much more vulnerable. The search function has to, well, search, which uses more server power than simply browsing obviously. An attacker could even more anonymously use the search function to try a DoS or even DDoS attack by having the server operate thousands of searches at the same time.

reCAPTCHA, the CAPTCHA mechanism used in this forum for the past two months or so, at least offers a function for vision impaired users, see the Get an audio challenge button :) I have to agree with browzer1 that it sounds bit muffled, but that again is necessary to avoid bots recognizing the numbers with software.

Too many bad guys out there to do without I'm afraid :mad:

drragostea
2008-07-12, 00:15
I couldn't agree more with PepiMK. :P

I just learned some weeks ago that... if you "overload" the server with the searches you can induce a DoS attack.

There were three spambot attacks in the past. :spider:

:fear: