PDA

View Full Version : Went from 1.5.2 to 1.6.0. and returning back to 1.5.2

Lenmaer
2008-07-11, 09:48
I installed the new version on monday, hopping losts of improvement like witen on the frontpage, but after using it for one day, I have to admit that 1.6.0 is full of bug, it's slowing down all my computer, navigation is more than a mess.
The detection speed has improved but not that much, you don't see really a diffference.
So until there is a really working version I'll stay to the old one and not recommand to update to the 1.6.0 for now.

PepiMK
2008-07-11, 12:23
Wow, great, with so many details we'll absolutely be able to fix all those bugs of course :laugh:

Lenmaer
2008-07-11, 13:24
I'm using Vista 64 Ultimate SP1 (with a legit key for those wondering), my antivirus is Bitdefender 2008, and I use the advanced firewall that comes with Vista.

What I justed wanted to say is, when teatimer is activated, everytime I click to browse another page, my CPU load jump to nearly 100 % and ie7 (associated with ie7pro) freezes for 10/15 seconds before showing the page.
This never happend with spybot 1.5.2.

blues
2008-07-11, 13:40
you could just try to turn off teatimer if you use it just to check, if it is that one that slows down your computer, but when doing that teatimer will not protect you anymore.

this is some information to you copied from another site about hostsfiles, and can be useful if you use spybots hostsfile or other hostsfiles:

Those of you who use Windows 2000/XP Pro and use the very large version of the Hosts file may experience system slowdowns and slow connections. Most often, this is noticed by those with dialup connections, but may occur with broadband connections as well.

Windows 2000/XP Pro also includes a service known as the DNS cache. You can locate it in your services listed as "DNS Client". To use Hosts or DNSKong you may need to stop and disable this service. Some machines seem to run Hosts without disabling this service. It is safe to turn it off and disable it. You will likely never notice it is gone. As far as I can tell, no other Windows operating system offers such a service.

both teatimer and the dns client can be enabled again if you find out that none of them is the problem.
i think xp home also has the dns client service, but i dont know because i use xp pro. however dnskong is not included in spybot, and i dont know anything about it.

edit: i dont know anything about vista.

Lenmaer
2008-07-11, 13:50
Sorry but disabling the dns cache, even after reboot doesn't solve the problem.
And if I have to disable teatimer to get ride of this, then I prefer better switching back to the old spybot in which teatimer works without problem.

blues
2008-07-11, 13:54
at some time there will be no more updates to spybot 1.5 but it is your choice.

Lenmaer
2008-07-11, 14:04
Then I'll have to switch to another software, if there're no improvements.

blues
2008-07-11, 14:33
then you maybe can try one of these, superantispyware, ad-aware, a-squared, malwarebytes antimalware, and then you have boclean and winpatrol, boclean detects only malicious processes i think but doesnt really scan your filesystem. and winpatrol is a little bit like teatimer but they are different. almost none of them has so much tools like spybot. superantispyware, ad-aware, a-squared and malwarebytes antimalware doesnt have realtime protection other than if you pay for them. spywareterminator is also one, but i dont know if it really is thrustworthy but it has realtimeprotection. a-squared was the only one that detected the low risk called cmdow when i tested them, i dont know if the others have it in their detection list. they all detects things that the others miss i think. there is more programs to choose from too wich have realtime protection but some of them is more advanced than they i mentioned here, some of them is called hips and behavior blockers wich blocks programs and things on your computer that has bad behavior but is undetected by the normal scanners.

Lenmaer
2008-07-11, 14:35
Thanks, I'll try them.

blues
2008-07-11, 14:40
just remember to use only one hips and not more than that, or else your computer will be unstable. i dont use hips or behavior blockers, they are just annoying to me because of all their questions.

drragostea
2008-07-12, 00:21
then you maybe can try one of these, superantispyware, ad-aware, a-squared, malwarebytes antimalware, and then you have boclean and winpatrol, boclean detects only malicious processes i think but doesnt really scan your filesystem. and winpatrol is a little bit like teatimer but they are different. almost none of them has so much tools like spybot. superantispyware, ad-aware, a-squared and malwarebytes antimalware doesnt have realtime protection other than if you pay for them. spywareterminator is also one, but i dont know if it really is thrustworthy but it has realtimeprotection. a-squared was the only one that detected the low risk called cmdow when i tested them, i dont know if the others have it in their detection list. they all detects things that the others miss i think. there is more programs to choose from too wich have realtime protection but some of them is more advanced than they i mentioned here, some of them is called hips and behavior blockers wich blocks programs and things on your computer that has bad behavior but is undetected by the normal scanners.

@blues, refrain from giving Malware solutions. :sad:.

at some time there will be no more updates to spybot 1.5 but it is your choice.

I would strongly disagree. I think you meant... program updates not detection updates. Detection updates would be the ones we get every week which adds to Spybot's scanning database and immunization.

blues, don't you think it's a bit too much?

I mean all the malware solutions. Keeping two or three will be enough for my arsenal.

BOCLEAN would be your malware watchdog. WinPatrol would be your system watchdog. Same goes for TeaTimer.

Spybot-Search&Destroy would be for daily or weekly use.
SAS would be for heavily infected computers. Or just infected.
Same goes for MBAM.

blues
2008-07-12, 10:05
@blues, refrain from giving Malware solutions. :sad:.

I would strongly disagree. I think you meant... program updates not detection updates. Detection updates would be the ones we get every week which adds to Spybot's scanning database and immunization.

blues, don't you think it's a bit too much?

I mean all the malware solutions. Keeping two or three will be enough for my arsenal.

BOCLEAN would be your malware watchdog. WinPatrol would be your system watchdog. Same goes for TeaTimer.

Spybot-Search&Destroy would be for daily or weekly use.
SAS would be for heavily infected computers. Or just infected.
Same goes for MBAM.

i have NOT given Malware solutions, where do you get that from? it was just examples so it was different programs to coose from. sas and mbam? they dont find EVERY infection either so that is false, they are not better than the others but most of the antispywares finds different things, where have you heard that they are just for infected computers? and i dont use anymore than two antispyware scanners either it was just EXAMPLES of choices. dont think you knows better than others about all this. i actually knows people that dont care to have antispywares.

drragostea
2008-07-12, 21:44
i have NOT given Malware solutions, where do you get that from? it was just examples so it was different programs to coose from. sas and mbam? they dont find EVERY infection either so that is false, they are not better than the others but most of the antispywares finds different things, where have you heard that they are just for infected computers? and i dont use anymore than two antispyware scanners either it was just EXAMPLES of choices. dont think you knows better than others about all this. i actually knows people that dont care to have antispywares.

And yes, I do know more than you. Just depends on what topics.

You, blues, are running in a circle.

Providing malware solutions is too like say:
"Hey, why don't you use this or that? It removed SmitFraud and Virtuemonde from my computer!"

Now I rethought about it... you weren't really providing solutions. Just suggestions.

SAS and MBAM find specific infections. SAS covers a large range of infections. Just like other programs like AdAware, SpywareDoctor, etc.

I heard of it in the Malware Forums!

Next time correct your grammer before posting.

ChalupaPatrol
2008-07-12, 21:58
Wow. You're telling a person from Norway to correct their "grammer"?

If English is blues' second language, you need to apologize for your rudeness.

And, if English is your first language, then you should correct your spelling before posting.... the word is grammar.

blues
2008-07-12, 22:00

you dont OWN this forum, and you are not a moderator. you can maybe try to speak/write in Norwegian to see how it goes. you have a different attitude to me than to the others in this forum. there is something strange going on. you jump in to other threads and correct me all the time, you are just giving criticism. i know more than you in some topics too. you may call me childish now, but i dont care, i am not a child anymore.

you dont need to reply to me either anymore.

drragostea
2008-07-12, 22:06
I apologize for my rudeness. To both of you, blues and ChalupaPatrol. We all make mistakes.

I'll correct my behavior. Just need some time to rethink.

You have my apologies blues. Please accept it.

ChalupaPatrol
2008-07-13, 01:46
Back to the thread topic.

I wonder if Lenmaer (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=44121) cares to post back about his/her problem, which was...

when teatimer is activated, everytime I click to browse another page, my CPU load jump to nearly 100 % and ie7 (associated with ie7pro) freezes for 10/15 seconds before showing the page.
This never happend with spybot 1.5.2.

eddolix
2008-07-13, 07:31
Hello to all, I have a PC with XP Professional with XP3, I recently updated spybot from 1.5.2.2 to 1.60 and the system is significantly slowed.
In particular with IE 7 every time I try to open a new page IE take the cpu to 100% for several seconds blocking the system and the same thing always happens with IE when trying to open a new window.
Even in exploring resources every time I try to open any folder the system hangs for several seconds.
I uninstalled and reinstalled spybot 1.60 version 1.52 and everything is back to work regularly.
:sad:

ChalupaPatrol
2008-07-14, 01:55
Lots of threads on this issue that perhaps may be helpful to you...

TeaTimer 99% CPU Utilization if Exited and Restarted (v1.6.0.30) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30651)

TeaTimer memory usage (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=289)

TeaTimer Hi CPU Usage w/1.6.0 (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30923)

TeaTimer - 100% CPU usage (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30894)

Lenmaer
2008-07-14, 02:02
Sorry but none gives me a real answer.
I did a full uninstall of 1.5.2 with a registry clean after that then a reboot before installing 1.6.0.
And teatimer doesn't use lots of memory, but lots of process that freezes ie7 for nearly 10 to 20 seconds everytime I load a new page, and so does he also if I open a new tab.

2008-07-14, 02:09
by something. Did you scan with all your security software to make sure you have no threats? If your computer continues to act weird, i would post in the malware removal forums.

Lenmaer
2008-07-14, 02:12
My computer doesn't act weird, it's only the new teatimer which is buggy, and no I don't have any malware, I do a full malware and antivirus scan once a day and a rootkit scan once a week.
I went back to the old version 1.5.2, and now everything works again like a charm.

2008-07-14, 02:15
That IS odd.......weird.....I hope a team member can figure this out.....

2008-07-14, 02:17
Sorry but none gives me a real answer.
I did a full uninstall of 1.5.2 with a registry clean after that then a reboot before installing 1.6.0.
And teatimer doesn't use lots of memory, but lots of process that freezes ie7 for nearly 10 to 20 seconds everytime I load a new page, and so does he also if I open a new tab.

Teatimer only uses one process.......not many

Lenmaer
2008-07-14, 02:23
Teatimer only uses one process.......not many

Yes but it goes to 100 % everytime, sorry it's my fault, as I'm french my english is not that good.

2008-07-14, 02:26
if exiting teatimer (turning it off) then turning it back on?

Also have you ever tried completely removing spybot and then installing the latest version?

completely as in following ALL directions on this site and then reinstalling:

http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html

Lenmaer
2008-07-14, 02:28
if exiting teatimer (turning it off) then turning it back on?

Also have you ever tried completely removing spybot and then installing the latest version?

completely as in following ALL directions on this site and then reinstalling:

http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html

Yes I did and also deleted all remaining folders after the reboot.

2008-07-14, 02:31
Sorry i missed that.......Well i can honestly say i am stumped.

Lenmaer
2008-07-14, 02:34
Yes me too, if there could be a way to use the old teatimer with spybot 1.6.0 that would be great.

d4l3d
2008-07-14, 03:27
XPSP2 P4 2.8
Never really had an occasion to post here until now.

Have had the same CPU spikes as everyone else. Explorer had slowed as well as IE. That surprised me as no one had mentioned it yet.

I rolled back to 1.5.2.20 and now everything seems back to normal. Except, I uninstalled before realizing I needed to do more than "Add/Remove". Didn't find the full uninstall procedure tut+fix until later. Stupid.

S&D "about" reads 1.5.2.20 but the "about" from the systray still says 1.6.0.20. Am I alright with this?

d4l3d
2008-07-14, 09:54
Nevermind.
In order to protect an older C drive, I wanted to avoid any more restarts.
In the end I couldn't resist going back and doing it right this time. All is 1.5.2.20 and normal.

MikeMcD
2008-08-09, 07:15
you could just try to turn off teatimer if you use it just to check, if it is that one that slows down your computer, but when doing that teatimer will not protect you anymore.

this is some information to you copied from another site about hostsfiles, and can be useful if you use spybots hostsfile or other hostsfiles:

Those of you who use Windows 2000/XP Pro and use the very large version of the Hosts file may experience system slowdowns and slow connections. Most often, this is noticed by those with dialup connections, but may occur with broadband connections as well.

Windows 2000/XP Pro also includes a service known as the DNS cache. You can locate it in your services listed as "DNS Client". To use Hosts or DNSKong you may need to stop and disable this service. Some machines seem to run Hosts without disabling this service. It is safe to turn it off and disable it. You will likely never notice it is gone. As far as I can tell, no other Windows operating system offers such a service.

both teatimer and the dns client can be enabled again if you find out that none of them is the problem.
i think xp home also has the dns client service, but i dont know because i use xp pro. however dnskong is not included in spybot, and i dont know anything about it.

edit: i dont know anything about vista.

Why do I need a hosts file?
Must every PC have a hosts file?
I was messing around with spybot one day, and after that my PC slowed down to a snail pace, and I discovered I had a hosts file. Is it possible I created the hosts file and didn't have one before?

jdgonko
2008-08-09, 07:33
A few users posted in this thread that they think the TeaTimer function of SB 1.6.0 is what is causing the very high CPU usage when accessing new web pages in IE and even when only clicking on a 'new tab' in IE.

While I admit I have never used the TeaTimer function but rather always the SDHelper function during all past versions of SB, I'm pretty sure it is the SDHelper functionality that is causing the extremely sluggish IE response times. Proof is that TeaTimer in my 1.6.0 install has always been disabled, IE was extremely sluggish with SDHelper enabled, and then IE went back to its snappy normal speed when I disabled SDHelper (although I lost that protection, doh!).

My two bits here. I'm only guessing that there might be a small coding error in SDHelper.dll which is causing a loop type deadlock. I cannot believe that SDHelper.dll is actually using the CPU for that much intensity and time just to scan a new web page or even a new 'IE tab' when the previous versions are taken into comparison.

As in the past, I'm confident the SB programmers will correct this coding problem of SDHelper.dll soon just like they corrected the 'very slow to startup SB version' months ago.

blues
2008-08-09, 08:05
Why do I need a hosts file?
Must every PC have a hosts file?
I was messing around with spybot one day, and after that my PC slowed down to a snail pace, and I discovered I had a hosts file. Is it possible I created the hosts file and didn't have one before?

almost everybody has a hostsfile on the computer i think, my original looks like this:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

and if you add this under the first localhost line: 127.0.0.1 forums.spybot.info
then you can not access this forums, and other programs on the computer can not connect to the spybot forums.

malware blocks security sites and antivirus/antispyware updates in this way but the spybot hostsfile blocks sites that has malware in it and some adservers.

jstrow
2008-08-09, 08:20
Has anyone else noticed an issue with spybotsd160.exe, the Windows installer for 1.6.0? Near the end of the process a program runs in a console window that sends several megs of form feeds to the parallel port. Manually closing this window (and deleting the print job) after the progress bar on the installer has reached the end appears to have no ill effect on the installation. Spybot S&D 1.6.0.31 seems to run properly. I'm using Windows XP with SP2 on a Pentium 4.