PDA

View Full Version : help how do i uninstall?

bob drinnen
2008-07-11, 19:16
i cant uninstall spybot 1.4...i get an error message saying the uninsatll log is in a format that is nt recogniised by this version of the uninstaller...what can i do?

2008-07-11, 20:40
look at this link: http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html

Also make sure you have all updates from Microsoft!

bob drinnen
2008-07-11, 22:04
thank you ..i tried that link but when i tried to uninsatll the file it still wouldnt allow me to....

2008-07-11, 22:07
did you read and do everything it said? including downloading and deploying the small fix? If you did all that then spybot is gone. You can now download the latest spybot version and install it if you want. That will get rid of the old version that you want to uninstall. My question is, if i may ask, is why you wanted to uninstall?

Also visit microsoft update and download and install all available updates:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

bob drinnen
2008-07-11, 22:45
thanks again but heres what happened ....i did not use the small fix because i could not delete the file once again i recieved a message saying that it could not be deleted becayse it said it ws being used? im about to pull my hair out..the reason im trying to uninstall 1.4 is that it is nt working properly an repeadly freezes up when scanning

2008-07-11, 22:47
1.) Please answer this, did you check to make sure you have all updates from Microsoft? the link i gave in my other reply to microsoft update, do you have all the latest updates installed?

2.) "i did not use the small fix" Forget about the files-Are you saying you tried the small fix or not? did you try it? yes or no?

3.) Now Answer those questions and get back to me. I have some things you can try then, but i need those questions answered. Thank you. :)

2008-07-11, 23:08
safe mode to remove spybot.

You could always try removing spybot in safe mode,

How to boot into safe mode:

Reboot your computer into SafeMode by doing the following:

1.) Restart your computer

2.) After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, begin tapping F8.

3.) Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear.

4.) Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.

5.) Once windows loads, try removing spybot via add/remove programs in control panel, or use the uninstall link i gave earlier if that does not work. Do everything that is said in the link, including the small fix, even if you have file problems. Try the small fix.

6.) restart your machine, you are now using windows in normal mode.*

Does that help?

That would be the best way to remove spybot with this issue and then install the latest version 1.6. =] Try installing the latest version no matter the outcome of those steps i mentioned. The new version should be able to wipe out the old one.

Also take a look here and read this entire thread. You can also search the forums for uninstall issues.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30215

i would still appreciate those questions answered as soon as possible. Thank you!!

drragostea
2008-07-12, 00:46
129260, it seems that the user cannot uninstall, so why mention installing Windows Updates? Lols. Simple.

The user cannot employ the 'small fix' because they cannot uninstall in the first place.

It sounds to be that it's missing the "uninstall" file.
If it does not work in SAFE MODE, then find the executable file (.exe) of Spybot-SD. By this I mean the version you currently have on the computer.

After installing it over the current one, this replaces the missing uninstall file, so you'll be able to uninstall successfully.

2008-07-12, 01:37
he was receiving could be about windows installer not being current enough, or damaged. Windows installer when it has those problems can be unable to remove certain programs along with uninstalling. I know, i have gotten errors like he said before.

"129260, it seems that the user cannot uninstall, so why mention installing Windows Updates? Lols. Simple."

huh?

Windows updates are a completely different thing and are not about him uninstalling spybot. But being up to date helps. It would correct the windows installer if it is having problems.

The "small fix" is to remove certain registry entires when having promblems uninstalling spybot, again not making any sense, I don't know what you mean there in your reply.

"It sounds to be that it's missing the "uninstall" file.
If it does not work in SAFE MODE, then find the executable file (.exe) of Spybot-SD. By this I mean the version you currently have on the computer.

After installing it over the current one, this replaces the missing uninstall file, so you'll be able to uninstall successfully."

"Try installing the latest version no matter the outcome of those steps i mentioned. The new version should be able to wipe out the old one."

I have already said this, and if you read the thread, he already said he could not remove the folders. That is why i suggested safe mode to him just like you suggested. haha. :)

bob drinnen
2008-07-12, 01:41
i just followed your advise an downloaded the same version of spybot i had before which appprently replaced the missing file to allow uninstalling it because i was able to immediatly uninstall.....it was so much easier tham all the other possibilities i tried but had no luck with. Thanks for understanding about the problem with this .

2008-07-12, 01:46
Thanks I'm glad that helped, glad to see everything worked out and that you found a good solution that worked. :welcome: to the forums, and sorry this incident could not be solved faster.

drragostea
2008-07-12, 02:37
"Try installing the latest version no matter the outcome of those steps i mentioned. The new version should be able to wipe out the old one."

I'll note that in the future. But wouldn't that result a possible two entries of Spybot-SD in the Add/Remove Programs window?

Looks like I learned something new.

Thing is that we would have provided the same solution.

Wouldn't made a difference.

Just that all is well.

And you got there before me.

2008-07-12, 04:56
We work together and learn. :) And ya sorry about earlier. I think i was just in a mood haha.

Due to the issue of uninstalling there might be 2 entries, maybe only one. It really depends on how the installer handles it i suppose. I know that 1.6 greatly handles and does a better job upgrading without a "clean install" way better then the previous versions. But just to be safe, i will continue to recommend a clean install. Because that is what i did. :bigthumb: